recipes using Sourdough bread

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by sunitha, Jan 22, 2007.

1. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

I have just bought a loaf of sourdough bread.I feel this type of bread tastes better as a sandwich.Does anyone have good recipes using sourdough bread?

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Grilled Veg Panini

Hi Sunitha,

You can make veg panini out of the sour dough. It is a mix and match deal.

Any of the following veggies:
    Zuchini
    Bell Peppers ( yellow, red and green)
    Beef Steak Tomatoes ( the big round ones)
    Onions
    Eggplant

Slice the above veggies into rounds or long slices( about 1/4 inch thick) . Heat a saute pan, smear with Olive oil. Then put the veggies and and cook till half done. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
    Split the sourdought bread in half horizontally ( so you get two long pieces). Smear the white portion with olive oil and slight toast it on the pan. Then arrange the veggies on one half. At this stage, you can add slices of swiss, mozarella or pepper jack cheeses . Close the sandwhich. Now put a tbsp of olive oil in the pan. Put the sandwhich on the pan. Press down with aheavy weight ( use a heavy vessel like kadai or a brick covered in foil). cook till the under side is golden brown. Turn the sandwhich over and cook again the same way till golden brown. Olive oil gives the best flavor. use extra virgin oil. the panini does not need anyother herbs , the taste is awsome.

Hope this helps. You can also make just plain eggplant panini, or grilled tomato and cheese, you can add pesto sauce on the bread before layering the veggies. Just let your imagination run wild.

Vandhana

3. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot Vandhana.I knew you would definitely be the first one to respond to my query.I have tasted this panini when we went to Germany last year.I did think of making a panini with this bread,but I did not have the recipe.Thank you for giving me such wonderful ideas.

One thing is bothering me thou.The loaf I have looks like a normal bread loaf and it is sliced thin .Can I try the same recipe using the slices?

4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Yes You can

Just keep an eye on the grilling time of the bread after assembling the sandwhich. Also you may not have to use the brick or heavy bottom vessel. you can just use a good steel dosai thirupi for pressing the bread down.
    Try it and let me know.

Vandhana

5. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

I tried the panini with a mix of Zuchini,bell peppers and tomato .WOW!!!

That was good!

This is the first time I am cooking with Zuchini,olive oil and sourdough bread.Never knew it could taste so good.Thanks a lot,Vandhana.