1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons for divorce ??????????????????

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by anika987, Jul 25, 2013.

1. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

When someone provide the data point, its better to have the proof along with it.

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

No problem. I still have an active academic account with my University. Let me see if I can get hold of the papers. I am generally skeptical of pop-psych type stories on sociological subjects since the subject matter is hard to quantify, and the conclusions are almost always skewed towards the writers' own personal biases. These articles almost never fulfill the requirement for scientific burden of proof.

Disclaimer: I am personally a strong proponent of marriage for love. It is not a perfect union by any means but it is the lesser of the two evils.

1 person likes this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks a bunch! That was funny. :) I am a bit pedantic about absolutist claims. During 8 years of grad school, my advisor beat out the idea of making claims without data from my brain. :oops:

As Carl Sagan said, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". :thumbsup

4. Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin Silver IL'ite

The other evil being - 'arranged marriage' or 'not being married at all'?

Anyways, I myself don't believe in the institution of marriage as being beneficial to an individual's freedom. Then again there are some strong arguments for marriage and since I cannot refute them and also because I am a conservative (Edmund Burke kind. Not Ann Coulter kind), who thinks an individual can live with some limitations to his freedom anyway, I find myself ok with the institution of marriage.

Now coming to the lesser of the two evils, I believe arranged marriages is the lesser one. In the context of oriental culture especially.

P.S: Just for the record. I'm not a sixteen year old.

P.P.S: Then do read Robert Epstein's research paper too.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  5. Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin Silver IL'ite

I told her where to find it and she has agreed to do so. So no problem I guess.