1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons for divorce ??????????????????

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by anika987, Jul 25, 2013.

1. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

GauriO3 = Neeya Naana Gopinath:thumbsup:thumbsup

Neeya Naana Pey enga IrukumScientist Comedyflv - YouTube

Watch this and you will know what i'm talking about :D:boo::boo:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
    4 people like this.
  2. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hey that looks interesting! Too bad I need subtitles. :( Could you give me a gist of the discussion?

4. Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin Silver IL'ite

Sure...Why not? Stephanie Coontz wrote a book on it (which I have got on my ipad but not started to read yet). Here's an article by her:

For Better, For Worse

Quoting her: The origins of modern marital instability lie largely in the triumph of what many people believe to be marriage's traditional role -- providing love, intimacy, fidelity and mutual fulfillment. The truth is that for centuries, marriage was stable precisely because it was not expected to provide such benefits. As soon as love became the driving force behind marriage, people began to demand the right to remain single if they had not found love or to divorce if they fell out of love.

Then, we have Lyubomirsky, whose paper on hedonic adaptation and book "The Happiness Myth" is something I refer to often. An article by her in New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/02/o...e-a-short-shelf-life.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

And for the Indian marriages we have our very own Sandhya Shaifali, who authored the book "Love comes after". I haven't read the book yet, since I couldn't get a e-book version. But I might get a hardcopy of that soon. Here's a write-up by her.

Shaifali Sandhya – An Open Letter to Rakhi Sawant | Random Reads

Some more articles, if you want to read.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/14/that-loving-feeling-takes-a-lot-of-work/

Infidelity in marriage -- what does "Hedonic Adaptation" have to do with it? | Marital Mediation

5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks. Will read those. By article, I was actually thinking of the peer-reviewed kind. Primarily interested in seeing the data behind the conclusions. :)

6. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

Can any one help me with this one?

7. Livinglife

Livinglife Silver IL'ite

The real question to me is, what does it mean to put a bunch question marks after a question ? Does it mean it is a really big question or a really important one or simply a case of the key getting stuck ?

Honestly, serious question. I am not very well versed with internet/sms style writing.

2 people like this.
  8. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Translation of the 'Neeya Naana Pey enga IrukumScientist Comedy' video--

The discussion goes over and over, again about the topic of 'where the ghost exists?'.

The guy argues that at the sunset is the time when 'ghost' haunts the unoccupied houses as mentioned by scientist. The host 'Gopinath' kept asking (cornering him) 'which scientist was that' and where was the evidence? The guy repeatedly tells the same thing, there is scientific proof, I read it some place, I couldn't recollect it now and I will send it to you by mail. The audiences were laughing!!

2 people like this.
  9. Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin Silver IL'ite

I am sorry I couldn't provide the actual research data. Sandhya Shaifali's book and article are based on her research paper. But when I tried to get the actual literature I found that they are not for free circulation. And I did not want to register on a paid site just to read one paper. So I decide I will buy the book when I am in India next time.

On the other hand there is one paper by Robert Epstein. But it was primarily focused on arranged marriages being a better alternative to romantic-love based marriages. He lists out the reasons why romantic-love based marriages are failures. Then again since he also endorses arranged marriages, I did not want to refer to his paper here since I myself am not convinced with the institution of marriage as a whole (and also since i do not want to start a debate on arranged vs free-choice here). You can search for that yourself if you want to.

Lyubomirsky's research literature is available. But marriage is only part of the research. She is more focused on hedonic adaptation. Still that is also a proper research with a detailed methodology.

Also there are books by marriage counselors like Willard Harley. But since you asked for actual research and not some theories I did not cite them.

10. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

We have a scientist on the forum. :rotfl

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013