1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Reading Newspaper!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by srinivasan_vanaja, Jul 6, 2007.

1. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

hi everybody,

Newspapers are portable, disposable and convey a certain savoir faire and it gives you a whole rich vocabulary of gesture.

You open it with a flourish and a ripple of newsprint, your buoyant self-confidence evident in the way you turn the pages with a snap of the wrist, taking in the gray matter swiftly, your eyes dancing over the world's sorrows and moving on, crinkling the page, snapping it, rolling it, folding the paper in halves and quarters, tucking it under the arm or tapping it against the palm.

Moreover it is time bound, it takes just 20 mins of our time to read it wherelse the internet eat us alive.

What is the best time to read the Newspaper?

Many of us are addicted to reading Newspaper in the mornings as soon as it arrives at our doorsteps. Is it really good to read the news early hours of the day?

Now-a-days we find only terrorists attacks, accidents, court cases and murders occupy the major portion of the Newspaper. Even though I wanted to go to my favourite column, I need to cross all the above captions and captions themselves convey the real news to us.

All the good and bad gets to our mind. And our discussions starts from the morning with all the members of the house.

The results from a study of adolescents' newspaper reading habits and consumer attitudes and behaviors indicate that newspapers play an important role in the acquisition of consumer behaviors during adolescence.

The plus point is todays newspaper are easier to read and navigate and it improves readership and lot more good things to say about newspaper reading.

But what type of reading impact it creates on us?

Do we become more cautious in lives? or Do we get mentally disturbed?

I am quiet that none of you wont be against newspaper reading. Can we discuss the best time to read, plus and minus of reading newspaper?

regards,

Vanaja
    <table class="nestedTablePadded" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td align="left" valign="top">
    </td><td>
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

2. Monsi

Monsi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Vanaja,
    Nice post!
    I dont get time in the morning to read the newspaper since I have to get ready for Office. And I dont even prefer reading newspaper in the morning even if I have sometime. I like reading newspaper after dinner when I am relaxing and in between watching TV.
    First I browse through whole NP for important news and updates. And then I pick one or 2 news which I think I should read in details. I am not very much interested in Politics news but I prefer City updates/problems etc. I check the editorial column, if the article is good I read it. We also get property news supplement, I read it too. It gives me latest updates about the upcoming projects in the city and ongoing rates. They also have good articles about Vaastu, Feng shui, interior decoration related stuff. I like to read cricket news, bollywood gossips, Cartoon columns (Calvin&Hobbes my fav :-D ).
    Let's see what is the best time for reading NP for other ILs :)

3. srinivasan_vanaja

hi monsi,

thank u for the reply. as you said let us see what other ilites are to say regarding this subject.:wave

regards,

vanaja

6 people like this.
  4. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Hi Vanaja,

As long as I lived in India, the only newspaper that I read was "The Hindu" (the staunch South Indian that I am). Good news or bad, I liked reading it in the morning. Even the most well presented TV news channels could not weane me away from reading the newspaper. I generally read the newspaper from the last page to the first - a strange habit:? !

The supplementary sheets were always a favourite, especially columns on travel, culture, cuisines and health. I spent more time reading the local, national news, comic strips and entertainment sections. There were also a few favourite columnists. Business and sports were not my favourites. I still continue to read the online edition now. I do not seem to have a fancy for reading any of the local newspapers in Atlanta.

1 person likes this.
  5. srinivasan_vanaja

hi nivedi,

thanks for your reply. but you have not mentioned the best time to read, impact on reading and plus, minus of newspaper reading.

regards,

vanaja

1 person likes this.
  6. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Hi Vanaja,

I liked reading the newspaper in the morning.

The plus of reading is that you are aware of what's happening in the world around. And with the world becoming a smaller globalised community, one has to be aware of the events around.

And the minus of reading in the morning is that some news articles and happenings are so powerful that they occupy your mind for the rest of the day.

7. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

I would always love to read the newspaper in between cups of hot coffee the first thing in the morning.But most of the time I get to read it only in the afternoons.I would always love to read the Hindu.Tamil newspapers like the thinamalar are more juicy.
    Newspapers are eyeopeners.They give us good and bad news everyday.It gives us events and happenings around the world.Some of the news leave us with a long last impact through out the day.I t is up to us to take the best and leave out the rest.The additional pages of hindu are really interesting.When people prefer to switch off the idiot box for sometime newspapers come in handy.

8. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello

to most of us
    the newspaper is with a cuppa
    i read the headlines, editorial
    and perhaps some interesting topics..
    no not the scary ones in dinamalar etc..!
    i just shift to the next topic

we get hindu, dinamani and dinamalar
    and indianexpress on sundays
    the changing indian scenario is imp
    who says what on presidential elec, cauvery etc..
    though other matters political do not interest me..
    i read the newspapers or just run through it
    between the cuppa and the
    tap that supplies water for just an hour..!

that is enough to fill a days thought
    no i dont dwell on matters political
    the centre page in dinamani sure good topics
    and the magazine sections of hindu and express
    super on sundays...sunday afternoons we have a
    reading session for almost a couple of hours or more..

topics like bombing, accidents do take some
    talk at home but we do have our chores
    and unless the topic goes around in circles
    in our mind we just skip it...
    we have come a long way
    than to think that news of a negative kind
    can change your attitude..
    there are other things more important

sathya

9. srinivasan_vanaja

hi kanaka and sathya,

thank you for your reply.

kanaka as you said, the newspaper always associate with a cup of coffee. with the hot coffee the news too gets in our mind really hot.

hot filter coffee with morning newspaper - indha anandame thani.

regards,

vanaja

10. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Hi Vanaja,
    I love reading newspaper. I love to read newspaper in the afternoon, when i am done with all my chores (can read leisurely). But i read the headlines in the morning or my DH tells me all the HL.
    +++ : We get to know about the important events in our country, and also globally. Reading newspaper also improves one's vocabulary. It is also a good pastime. Another important plus is the weather forecast especially during rainy and winter seasons.
    --- : I don't think there is any minus point in reading newspaper. Though the accidents, crime, etc., make us feel sad, if there is no information about these activities, how will we get to know the happenings in the world and how will we be prepared.