1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Reading Challenge For July- Dec 2016

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by blessings1010, Jul 7, 2016.

1. lasthope

lasthope Silver IL'ite

Hi maggi32. I am little bit busy with hospital duties now-a-days. i will let you know which one i picked to read soon....
    Happy reading.

2. maggi32

maggi32 IL Hall of Fame

@Kukudukuu no issues...take your time. I l let u know from my end after finishing the book.

3. maggi32

maggi32 IL Hall of Fame

@lasthope ....take care & happy reading to you too :)

4. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

Hello my dear book lovers, July went by very quickly. With long summer days and relaxing long weekend, it was easier to catch up on the books. Hopefully August brings the same opportunity. With that, here is an update to my self-imposed July reading challenge.

Started with two paperbacks and few kindle books

1. The ten-year turnaround (Paper Back)
    Summary: Price- Paperback $9.95 (Amazon) author: Matthew Paulson, Entrepreneur, Author, Angel Investor

This books reveals how anyone can achieve financial freedom in the next ten years.

Liked:

1. Good for people who love the comfort of a 9-5 job as well as entreprenuers. This book also emphasize the fact that not everyone can start their business but everyone can achieve their financial freedom. So it is not extreme like quit jobs and start work or be extremely frugal with your paycheck. It is realistic
    2. I like the way he defined the financial freedome. It may not mean to be a billionaire always but it is a realistic way to look how financial independence and freedom means different to different people.
    3. It gives realistic technique on how to increase one's employ-ability, financial knowledge as well as net worth. If worked consistently towards the goal for a decade, the author's points make a lot of sense.
    4. I love that author gives multiple solutions for every situation. I especially liked the part where he talks about building financial knowledge and career skills. This will be my go-to reference book for next decade as I would want to come back and see if I have made progress over the years. A good read for people who want to build their financial lingo.

2. The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World by Marti Olsen Laney
    Summary: Price-Paperback $9.31 (Amazon) author: Marti Oslen Laney,Psy.D., is a researcher, educator, author, and psychotherapist. E

Liked:
    1. I got reassurance about my feelings/ issues about living a balanced life in an extremely extroverted career and social groups. Now I feel it is ok to unwire every now and then. It is ok to not have a crazy social life in the name of " social adaptability" of outwardly focused social media crazy world.
    2. Loved the section on personality brain chemistry.

Didn't like:
    1. I did not like that the author talked about how to cope up. I tried coping up for a long time, until I got exhausted. So I do not agree with her coping mechanism. Thats just me.
    2. While reading this book, I came across 16 personality types test and felt that it was better in describing personality over and above introvert. e.g INFJ, INTJ.

Kindle books:
    1. Loved reading a fun memoir "Miss Lynn: My dilusional mother" by Andy Accioli. When MIL gave me tough time, I enjoyed reading this one and coming over IL to vent out.

2. Crockpot: 365 days of crock pot recipes by Emma Katie. Had to find vegetarian recipes. But a good collection to try soups, dinner entries and desserts.

How about you all? what did you all love reading? Pls share your updates and recommendations for August.

maggi32 and Sairindhri like this.
  5. maggi32

maggi32 IL Hall of Fame

@blessings1010 :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

I am reading The Alchemist now.....will let you know after finishing.

Thanks for the review...will add them to my Books List.

blessings1010 likes this.
  6. brind

brind New IL'ite

Hi ,
    I also would like to join the book challenge.
    Planning to read God Of Small Things...

maggi32 likes this.
  7. blessings1010

Thanks @maggi32 . Happy reading!

8. blessings1010

Welcome to the club @brind .. Wonderful creation by Arundhati Roy. It is not written like a typical novel though. Let us know how you like it.

maggi32 and brind like this.
  9. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

One book per month will be good.

10. maggi32

maggi32 IL Hall of Fame

Hi @brind

I am sure you will love her Debut novel :)