1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

reactions of dh and inlaws

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by newlife2010, Jan 5, 2010.

1. newlife2010

newlife2010 New IL'ite

I am going to have my 20th week ultrasound in next 3 weeks.I have two questions in regard to this..
    a)did you all disclose baby's gender to your parents and inlaws as soon as you got the confirmation or you decided to keep it a secret?

b) what was you dhs first reaction ? how your in-laws and parents react to the news ?
    I am trying to understand if the gender discrimination still exists in today's in-laws/parents/DHs generation .My dh used to say that he is okay with any gender, now he stated saying it'll be good if we have a girl.if I ask why, is there any particular reason, he can't say anything.one day he just said that my mom said she wish a girl for us because her daugther(my sil) has already a boy.my own mom ,on the other hand , told my sis that she wish we have a boy.I feel very disappointed when I hear different people are thinking about boy and girl for their own satisfaction and selfish thoughts.My mom completely forgets the fact that we sisters helping them out whenever possible.But nothing is good enough as she thinks girls are not as flexible and mobile like boys during an energency and all.I know we can't do that. But it actually hurts both me and my sis. We always felt that though she did her best to take care of us, but deep down she always longed for a boy .my mom gets very happy when her sister's son gets jobs etc., but never so enthusiastic about us.On the other hand I have a feeling that my ils are not so liberal to let go this gender factor, they want a girl for us just because they are jealous of me about almost everything and they believe as my sil has a son, they'll have a upperhand on this if we have agirl.My sil clearly wants that for the same reason.My DH appers to want a girl now, but I doubt if it is really coming within or he is just trying to pretend that he doesn't nurcher any outdated thoughts.He is normally indiffernet and doesn't show any excitement regarding anything in this pregnancy.I don't know if that's normal for every guy or it was the effect of my sil's expert opinion that "oh she doesn't have any symptiom, then it'll be a girl for sure, I had to go through so many things as I was having a boy".
    I feel sorry when I think that everything is changing, but will peoples' attitude will change at all after 25 years towards girls or their appreance ,looks etc if that has not changed in last 50 years?
    This is my chance to realize what my parents/inlaws and dh actually think about gender.If I get slighest hint,I'll do my best to safeguard my baby(if a girl) from any gender discrimanatory statements.

I also don't understand when anyone comes to know about the pregnancy, why they always ask "so... is it a boy or girl?"..is it just curiosity !!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010

2. monikakrishna76

monikakrishna76 New IL'ite

a) i didnt disclose
    b) they all appreciated & rescpected the fact that i didnt disclose

3. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

here in india doc wont disclose the gender of baby
    i am juz 12 weeks old though
    but be it a boy or girl in todays world are treated equally and no women is less in whatever you compare
    but every one has their own choice we cant call it being selfish
    i hope they said if its boy/girl will be good but dint say they kill your baby if its girl/boy right?
    so take it on lighter note
    i want a boy because my dad expired recently so i feel my dad comes back to me but my dh wants a girl since the begining..its just individuals choice no selfishness

4. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

I need to highlight one of your penned line here:
    they want a girl for us just because they are jealous of me about almost everything

What exactly does it mean? I guess ur ILs have also sensed ur own feelings & simply trying to calm you for ur innnate need of a SON.

I really respect my FIL for his frank opinion where he mentioned.. everybody wants a SON.. now only to prove urself politically/ socially correct in front of others you say that you dont want son but a daugh..

According to me both are imp for any parent cos when u go to a kids shop u want to buy both the items.. that are meant for a gal & boy. Who takes care of whom cannot be predicted until ur bed-ridden & the day arrives.

5. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

I just had my first baby in US last year and here is my experience -

We informed parents and in-laws about the pregnancy the very same day we got a positive in the home pregnancy test (i.e) at about 5 weeks.
    My MIL was super excited hearing the good news and at the same time kept bugging us every now and then how soon we can know the gender of the baby. Me and DH had an intuition that it is going to be a girl and when we told this to MIL, she was clearly disappointed. At my 20th week scan, we got to know that it is a boy. My MIL was totally thrilled and couldnt contain her emotions. Hearing all the over excitement on phone, my DH gently asked - "What if it was a girl?". My MIL replied that since my DH's elder sis already has a girl, she wanted a grandson.

Though it was no big deal, I was a little upset by the way she reacted.
    I couldnt help thinking - "What if it was a girl ?"- I guess she would have made her disappointment obvious and sounded like it is my fault.

So, discuss with DH and think about whether you dont want to let your parents/inlaws know the sex early. If you think they are going to make comments that may upset you during pregnancy, I guess it is better to tell them that you wanted it to be a surprise and decided not to find the gender. Afterall, if the pregnancy and childbirth was in India, you get to know the sex only after the baby is born.

6. newlife2010

newlife2010 New IL'ite

reshsabu, thanks for understanding my concern. Now during my pregnancy ,I am emotionally quite vulnerable to overact to any judgmental comments.That's why I don't want to disclose it to anybody as this should be none of their business.
    SHilpama, I am not in talking terms with my in-laws for past one year or more. SO they are barely close enough to sense my feeling and all.I don't have a preference over any gender as that's dumbest expectation any reasonable person can set for him/herself.
    By that statement ,I meant that my sil and my ils always feel proud that a boy has more importance than a girl.so When my sil conceived with a boy, she used to call me everyday just to let me know that despite being bad looking(her own version) , not qualified and having tons of physical problems, she still got married to a guy who is no less than her elder brother(my DH) in terms of money and qualification.I never ever bothered about her marriage or never commented on anything about their family.But when this repeated bragging about her own marriage and having a baby boy started on regular basis, I got pissed off , but still I was quiet and eventually one day she said that I already have a boy, in our family boys are extraordinary in every aspect,we all wish when it is your turn ,you have a daugther as you won't be able to manage and control a boy .
    Now Shilapa ,can you imagine what it feels like. Before scrutinizing my statement, you need to know both side of the story.Another point that really looked awkward to me that they never said for a a single time during my sil's pregnancy that they wish for a girl or anything , now all of a sudden, (as they think girls are inferior), they expect I should settle for less/inferior(according to their thought) as I have everything better than my SIL.Now did you understand what I meant by that?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  7. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

Some people do not have a child and are distressed over it. You are one of the chosen ones to be awarded with this honor. Do not dilute your feelings based on what others around you expect out of you. It is your child, a boy or a girl, is not going to change your affection towards it. So just enjoy the phase and no need to divulge any information to either of your folks, thats just my opinion.

8. maggi99

maggi99 Senior IL'ite

lady is not the one who is responsible to derive the gender of the baby but its the man. tell the same to ur DH.

So when any one speak abt gender of the baby, jst say which ever it is does not matter - all it matters is to hv a healthy baby and thats what u want.
    Well your SIL didnt learn the rocket science of taking care of a boy from somewhere....so dnt break your head on such usless words. Such comments hav to be replied immediately so that it does not bug u further.

When the gender makes so much diff amongst ur near and dears... keeping mum even while knowing and saying that the baby had folded its leg during scan so the doc cudnt say wd be a safer reply than revealing even when u know. (jst my opinion). Keeping the gender as a surprise till the baby sees the world wd keep u out of many unwanted tensions over others reactions during pregnancy.

Take good care of your health.

9. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

Newlife if u read my feedback on :
    What was your inlaws reaction, when u revealed to them that you have conceived??

I went thru the same pressures of boy being a high end commodity & gal being lesser.. and when I was finally preggo my ILs also used to say that SIL has a son and a daughter in this fly will complete this family !!!!
    I wonder if she was already thinking of transferring my DD to her own DD.. since there were many failed attempts on her to get re-preggo.
    Infact post deliv many times she said I can take my grand daugh & my DD will take better care of her.. u can carry on with your job & son.

I also know that my MIL hates me for everything still I would never pass a statement as "She wants a DD for me cos she's jealous of me". I dont need to imagine this case Cos I went thru it. Even they badly wanted a son for my SIL who still says that her DH is indebted to her for producing a beautiful & healthy son!!!
    Infact she wanted me to deliver a gal so that I can pass it to my SIL & complete their family like an indian bahu.. My MIL can go to any levels to fulfill desires of her own DD. When I discussed it with my DH he simply said.. I haven't opened up a babycenter to produce & distribute it to ppl who dont have a particular sex... that was one assurance which I really hold my DH high for... so he also knew that his mom was serious abu this transfer etc!!!

Note: In my DH's extended family his cousin sis had gone for gender detection for her 2nd preg & terminated it as she already had a daughter.. 3rd preg she finally got a son... infact all the gals in this family knew baby genders even when residing in India and were shocked to know that we had to sign a bond where gender cant be disclosed in scans... they infact went to the limit of abusing me and my parents for being secretive of gender disclosure.... my SIL said she wanted to know gender only to decide on gifts to be purchased.. as if in India ppls buy specific pinks or blues or wear only gender specific clothes.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

We told everyone that we were not finding out the gender. I don't think all believed us, but no one said anything to our face. To avoid the whole hassle of in-laws and parents and everybody else's reactions, I decided to not tell anybody, though I would have liked to tell one or two people. And talked to husband about it, so that he understood the reasons the knowledge of gender was limited to us both.
    Everybody has some feeling about the gender - the mother-to-be, father-to-be and grandparents. It is best to not take these reactions seriously, as deep down all want a healthy baby. To answer your question, my husband was happy to know the baby is doing fine. My parents and in-laws came to know gender only when we called to tell about baby's birth. Reaction was normal, and everyone was only happy and full of suggestions on how to take care of baby.

-Rihana