1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Re-Use/Re-Cycle cans, boxes - Ideas ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by MeenLoch, Oct 3, 2010.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

I wanted to start this thread here for a long time. I was wondering how all Indian homes re-use the everyday stuff. There is so much wastage of cans, bottles especially, unlike India.
    For example , yoghurt cans can be used to hold craft tools, baby food bottles can be used to store see through nuts and bolts, milk cans for cat/dog litters. (I got it from some magazine..)
    Please add to the list. How do you utilize cans, jam bottles "without hoarding" ? Share pictures if you can.
    I miss my childhood days, where we would not go buy what can be 'made' at home. We had pencil stand holders, screens my mom made out of her sarees, decorative items she would make using dry fruits boxes.
    Do feel free to add ideas from your home back in India too !

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

MeenLoch:
    I have given up on trying to reuse all the stuff that is possibly reuseable in the USA and concentrate on responsible recycling. One can spend an extraordinary amount of time trying to cart stuff around to various places that MIGHT reuse but most places don't take. The only place that I can think of that really could use stuff is college art classes like squeeze bottles (like dish detergent bottles). I try to use my own totes at the grocery store and when I do get plastic bags I use them for garbage. I no longer get a newspaper. I try to get soaps that can refill previous containers. If you keep trying to reuse stuff your house starts looking like an episode of Hoarders. BTW....reusing plastic containers can be dangerous as plastic is an amorphous compound and bacteria and molds can penetrate and stay in the plastic. Sorry I am not much help.