1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

raw smell and taste of cooked green beans

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by SurekhaKrishna, Mar 30, 2009.

1. SurekhaKrishna

SurekhaKrishna Bronze IL'ite

Hi ILites,
    I have cooked Green Beans vegetable curry in a non-stick vessel(not in a pressure cooker).
    Even though beans curry cooking is complete, i am getting smell and taste like the raw beans.

How to avoid this raw smell and also the taste?

Can anyone pls share your idea/exp?

thanks
    SurekhaKrishna

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Surekha
    What do you mean they are already cooked? Are you using frozen or what?
    Tina

3. SurekhaKrishna

Hi Tina,
    I am sorry for confusing.they are fresh whole green beans from walmart.
    not the frozen type....

thanks
    SurekhaKrishna

4. shubhasiddharth

shubhasiddharth Bronze IL'ite

Hi Surekha
    I will tell you what I usually do at home when I make beans curry. See if it works for you.I buy the fresh beans from the stores like fred meyer or safeway.I never go in for frozen beans.I dont buy beans from the Indian grocery stores.I make it a point to buy them only from the american stores.I cut them to the size that I want and then microwave them for about 5-6 minutes. They will be cooked to a certain extent.I then do the seasoning, add the beans, fry them for sometime with the lip opened and then add the required ingredients and then close the pan with the lid and cook for a while. I have not faced any bad smell till date.I always make it a point to buy the beans from the American stores only because they are ultra fresh there.

5. Amywos

Amywos Bronze IL'ite

Hey Surekha,

I too have same problem when I cook with fresh beans that I get here. Even after its cooked, it gives a kinda raw smell. I am not sure, may be its the type. I get it from a Chinese international market here.

Love,
    Amy

6. vandannav

vandannav Senior IL'ite

hi

I avoid closing the lid from the beginning of cooking...
    i keep mixing the curry thoroughly...
    and in the end if necessary only i close lid of the pan
    and use coconut dry or raw in the end.

vandannav

7. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Surekha,

Let me tell you what I do at home.

After washing the beans thoroughly, I chop them to the desired size.

Then I steam them inside a vessel (after adding salt, hing and turmeric powder )inside the pressure cooker (without putting on the weight) for about 15min. Note: I add water only in the cooker and no water to the beans in the vessel.

When we add salt, it lets out the liquid from the veggies when getting cooked.

Then finish cooking them on stovetop after tempering mustard seeds, uraddhal, gram dhal, curry leaves and ginger paste.

Finally I add the grated coconut and switch off the stove. Never have I had any raw smell from the beans irrespective of whether I purchase them from indian grocery or the american stores.

On the other hand, the beans can also be steamed in a Microwave (which I do sometimes) where we can fill the bottom container with water and on the top container we can add the beans (after chopping them) with salt,hing and turmeric powder. We can MW them on high for about 15-20min. Then follow the same method as above for cooking on stovetop.

One more thing, sometimes the beans are light green, thin and tender. These can be cooked quickly. Whereas, we do get beans which are slightly thick, dark green and takes more time to get cooked. (more time to be left for steaming).

I've done the same with frozen beans (which I buy only from Trader Joe's) also and the result has always been good whether I steam them in pressure cooker or the steamer in MW.:)

Hope this helps!

Cheers
    Krithika

8. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Surekha:
    Since you are down in Texas, I am just wondering if you are buying Half Runner beans thinking they are regular green beans. Are they bigger and heavier and have a string? Ask your produce supplier if they are half runners. Those beans you have to pressure cook them and do them on low for maybe 45 mins but the end product is soooo delicious. These beans are popular in the south. Cook them and then add your gravy or masala at the end.

If you are using regular fresh green beans the easiest is just boil them in salted water and then drain and put them in whatever you fixing. If you want to cook them through frying (bhuno) then another method that works is to cut the beans in lengths the size of peas (less than 1/2 inch). You can fry them on high with tomato and masala and then also simmer for some time.

9. SurekhaKrishna

hi all
    thank you for sharing the fresh green beans cooking method......

thanks
    SurekhaKrishna