1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ravi Or Bombay Ravi Loved Living In Our Hearts

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Cheeniya, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I start with a quote:
    'Music Director RAVI has an immortal, unique and amazing relationship with the personal lives of Hindi film music lovers living all over the world. In fact, such is the deep connection of our personal lives with his few exclusive creations that it cannot be denied or avoided by anyone loving the melodious Hindi film music and its golden era. In other words, these few tracks loudly declare Ravi as the only music director who was able to participate or enter our family celebrations like nobody else, irrespective of whether you are a big fan of his or not.'

This man ruled the music world for half a century. And he produced several unforgettable songs during this period. He directed the music of several Malayalam movies under the name of Bombay Ravi. He had a special relationship with Md.Rafi. I just can’t seem to be able to complete a compilation of songs that he composed for Rafi Saab. Neelkamal, Nai Roshni, Waqt, Khandaan, Godaan, Bharosa, Chaudvin ka Chaand, Girl’s Hostel, Door Ki Awaaz, Kaajal– oh the list could just go on and on!

He won the Filmfare award twice but that doesn't mean anything. This man deserved a lot more. For all his accomplishments and wonderful creations, he preferred to remain low-key all his life. He died six years back but my heart refuses to acknowledge his mortal end. Shall we start with having a look at few of his songs?

I start with the hit movie Chaudhvin Ka Chand (1960)

Guru Dutt and Waheeda Rehman enact the love scene for this immortal song

Gumrah (1963) sung by Mahendra Kapoor:

Look at the legendary stars for the song!

Waqt is another masterpiece of Ravi:

The singer? Undoubtedly Asha!

And a Malayalam song by him for you from Mayookham:

Can you recognize Ravi in Bombay Ravi?! That's his genius.

Gauri03, Rihana, jskls and 4 others like this.

2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya Sir,

It is embarrassing to admit that I have enjoyed most of his songs without knowing his name or anything about him.
    To this day we give instant recognition to what we see on screen and not what is behind the screen. Google search showed that I like many of his compositions. This song featuring Balraj Sahni is one of my favourites.

3. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya Sir,
    Ravi ji composed the music for one Telugu movie ( Sarigamalu) and one of the songs is my favorite and sung by my favorite singer K J Yesudas gaaru. I don't know any raagas ( neither carnatic nor hindusthani) and can't notify which instrument used except violin and flute. Just enjoy the songs which give Happiness to my heart.

My favorites from Ravi's music composition.

Neele gagan ke tale and tum agar saath deneki waada karo from Hamraaj

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Gauri03, Rihana, jskls and 2 others like this.
  4. Cheeniya

@GeetaKashyap
    Dear Geetha
    Thanks a lot for the prompt response. That song from Waqt is my favourite too. The voice of Manna Day lends so much power to the song! And Balraj was a veteran and is a pity that he died at middle age
    Sri

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  5. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Mistt,

lovely songs.

Mistt likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

@Mistt
    Dear Mistt
    Both Vineeth and Somayajulu are my great favorites. And the song is very lovely.
    Sri

Mistt likes this.
  7. Rajijb

Rajijb Silver IL'ite

Many of Ravi’s songs have been a favorite of mine, with a bonus ..Rafi’s Singing..these are some evergreen songs. Cheeniya Sir, thank you for your posts about yesteryear music composers...

Sahir Ludhianvi’s lyrics.

Gauri03 likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

@Rajijb
    Dear Raji
    I am glad you like my music series. I have plenty more to write about. Hope you'll stay on
    Sdi

Rajijb likes this.
  9. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ravi -- there's a name I hadn't thought of in a while. I became familiar with his songs through the poetry of Sahir Ludhiyanvi. I am a die hard Sahir fan and many of Ravi ji's best songs (Waqt, Gumraah, Kajal, Humraaz) were penned by Sahir. The combination was dynamite!

I haven't heard this one in ages. The haunting echo effect and the lilting melody come close to perfection. Rediscovered it today thanks to you!

This bhajan in Asha Bhonsle's voice written by Sahir.

A few other favorites, from Do Badan,

From Nikaah,

10. Cheeniya

Dear @Gauri03
    Your mention about Sahir made me pensive. He died at 59. A question arose in my mind. Why poets die young? Take the famous trio, Shelley, Byron and Keats. They all died in their twenties and thirties. Other writers tax their brain to get an idea for their work but poets tax their hearts. That's the reason for their early fatality.
    All the songs that you have forwarded are classic. It is sad that the erosion in quality has caught up with music and poetry too.

Gauri03 and Mistt like this.