1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Rangoli is a symbol of religious and cultural beliefs

Discussion in 'Rangoli / Kolam' started by iyerviji, May 7, 2012.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

In Villages today also you can see Rangoli in front of the house put on the ground after putting chani water(I dont know the English word for Chani). Women first thing in the morning put Rangoli in front of the house

For any festival ma kolam is put in front of the house and also inside the house. In Maharashtra people put Rangoli with different colours.

In flats it is difficult to put Rangoli in front of the house because by evening the rangoli goes off unless we put makolam. If the rice is grinded and maida is put in it then the makolam stays long.

Earlier I used to put kolam with rice flour everyday in the morning. After my hip bone fracture I stopped putting everyday and put makolam on Fridays which is there till next Friday and on auspicious days. I like to put big kolam on festival days. Usually on Krishna Jayanthi I put a chariot and inside that I put padam as if Lord Krishna is coming to our house from the chariot and in front of God I put cradle with padam inside.

Of late also I am not able to bend much so cant put different varieties and the usual padi kolam we put for religious functions with slanting lines I am not able to put.

Here are the different kolams which I had put and taken photographs and also photos of kolams put by others.

First one is drawn by me in a paper copied from a book of kolams with prayers. Here Ram is written inside the circle

Second one was put in front of a temple made during Ganesh Chathurthi in Mulund, Mumbai

Third and fourth one drawn by me

Fifth kolam is made in butter with flowers, dried grapes and kalkandu when we had Navrathri Pooja in Mulund

Attached Files:

7 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Here are some more

The first one is the one where flowers are arranged like a rangoli during Bhagavath Seva

Second one is ma kolam put by me in front of God

Third one is drawn by me

Attached Files:

5 people like this.
  3. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vitamin Viji aunty,
    Nice Kolams aunty.
    I liked the Hare Ram Kolam and Butter Kolam so much.
    Thanks for sharing aunty.
    Looking forward to see more Kolams here.

4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Bhargavi dear you have made my day by your first fb. Thanks dear. Some problem in my computer and I am not able to upload photos. So dont know when I will be able to post more kolams. These I had in my computer so uploaded them.

P.S. I was going to post this at 9 p.m. , bythe time mydh came from out so had to give him dinner ,had dinner and finished cleaning the medai. So late in replying

1 person likes this.
  5. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear VijiMa..
    LOvely Kolam VijiMa you can draw inpaper all the kolams youknow and post it here so that we can see themand those who want to learn can learn them as for me here in appartment complex I am not able to but will once I go to my native

1 person likes this.
  6. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji Maa,
    Lovely Kolams!!
    I liked the butter kolam with flowers, dried grapes and kalkandu, and a chariot kolam!!
    Thanks for sharing with us.

1 person likes this.
  7. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

wow these kolams are so nics ! next time i have to make something inovative i will copy ur ideas :D

1 person likes this.
  8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

VJ dear glad you liked the kolams. I am not able to upload the photos from my camera.

9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Surya dear thanks for your appreciation and glad to know you liked the kolams

10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Cute dear glad you like the kolam and want to copy