Rajasthani Recipes

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by jaishree9, Jan 29, 2008.

1. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Dear Vidhya
    coarse flour means regular flour used for chapttis just not very fine a bit coarser like suji or a bit fine than this wud do. This wud give batties a fluffiness.
    U can try in regular oven & if u like to cook often than a batti oven wud be good. I actually cook in a Gas tandoor .Hope it turned out good.

Dear nivedi
    Thnax for the suggestion.I will definately post some vegetables dishes from rajasthan.

Dear Varloo
    Now a days it is not very true that we prepare veg only from besan or dal etc but in the past in rural area where due to scacity of rains fresh veg. were not available people used to cook most of the veg from dal,besan,Dry fengurik seeds & Papad etc.
    In Jain community they don't eat green leafy vegetables in rainy season for 4 months so they cook variety of dry veg from all these. I will post some of the recipies. Thanx.

2. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Khoya Mutter
    Ingradients

Khoya gratted fine ( Mava Sugarless )1 cup
    Fresh Green peas 1 & half cup
    Gingergarlic paste 1 teaspoonful
    Finely chopped Tomato ½ cup
    Finely chopped onion ½ cup
    Termaric powder ½ teaspoonful
    Dhania powder 1 teaspoonful
    Red chilli powder 1 teaspoonful
    Pure Ghee 4 tablespoonful
    Garammasala 1/2 teasponful

Proceed –
    Saute Mava in a non stick pan till pink & keep aside.
    Take ghee in a thick bottam pan & fry finely chopped onions , add ginger garlic paste ,turmeric ,red chilli powder & dhania powder ,add tomato & salt to taste & sauté till ghee becomes separated from mixture.
    Add green peas ,put ½ - ¾ cup of water & cook till peas are soft on medium flames.
    Add Mava ( khoya) And simmer it for 5-7 min ,add garam masala powder & garnish with green corrander leaves.
    Serve with hot <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Nan</st1:place> ,or parantha or rice.

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Jaishree,

I made bhatti on Friday night. For a first attempt in making and just second attempt in eating, it came out very well. I used a regular electric oven, made 14 bhattis. The first batch was a bit uncooked in parts and burnt in others. The second batch came out quite well and my husband really loved them. Thank you for a detailed and well written recipe. Making this dish has been a long term desire. I see that you have posted mawa mattar. My Marwadi neighbours used to make this on sundays, mattar chaunka. Will try it and post a FB. Thanks again.

affly
    Vidya

4. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Hi Vidhya
    Thanku for trying dal batti & I am happy that it turned out well & liked by ur husband.
    This is simple to cook once u got the knack of backing them properly without burning & if want more fluffy & soft can increase the malai & ghee.
    Next time cook along with it churma laddu also which is also simple & same flour can be used. Affy
    Jaishree

5. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Besan Gatta Sabji

Ingredients
    For Gatta
    200 gm besan ( bangalgram flour ) a bit coarser .
    4 Tablespoonful Pure Ghee
    1 -1 & 1/2 teaspoon Red chilli powder
    Salt to taste
    One teaspoonful sabut dhania seeds
    Pinch of sda bicarb

For Gravy
    4 tablespoonful Refined oil
    100 gm Curd (not very sour)
    1/2 teaspoonful Turmeric powder,
    1 -1 & half teaspoonful Red chili powder,
    Salt to taste,
    2 teaspoonful Dhania powder,
    1/2 teaspoonful garam masala
    1 green chili powder,
    1-2 cloves.
    Coriander leaves.
    One cup onion grounded in paste & garlic paste 1 tea spoon full (both optional)

Proceed -
    Take besan in a deep plate, mix Ghee, Salt, red chilli powder, 1/2 teaspoonful sabut
    (Whole Dhania seeds, Sodabicarb, Salt to taste & kneed thoroughly with help of water adding in small amount to dough of consistency which can be rolled.
    Put in one pot around 2 glass of water to boil.
    Divide dough in 4- 6 portions & with help of palm roll on table top in form of cylindrical tubes of 4-5 inches long & half to one inch circumference.
    When water starts boiling put he rolled gatta in water & keep boiling for around 10 -15 min till the guttas become lighter & floats on boiling water.
    When cooked take out in a deep plate & with help of knife cut rounded coin like in 1 to one & half cm thickness.
    Keep water for use in gravy.
    For Gravy –
    In one bowl take chili powder, Dhania powder, Turmeric powder & salt to taste add 1/2 cup water & mix it properly & keep aside.
    In a Karai or deep pan take oil & heat it, add 1/2 teaspoonful cumin seeds & cloves,
    (If desired add onion paste & garlic paste & green chili cut in small pieces & sauté till turns pink) add masala paste Sauté it till oil become separated from masala, take curd in a bowel, mix properly & add to masala paste in pan & again saute it for 5-7 min ,add the residual water we boiled gatta in to this ,stir & boil for 5-6 min & than add the gattas we kept ready after cutting. Simmer for 5-6 min.
    Take from gas, add garma masala & garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with Chapattis, Rice or parantha.

6. MrignayniBansal

MrignayniBansal Senior IL'ite

Rajasthan's special Dal-Baati and Churma

Baati

Ingredents:
    • 1 1/2 cups atta (whole wheat flour)
    • 1/2 cup besan
    • 1 tsp salt or to taste
    • 1/8 tsp heeng (asafoetida)
    • 1 tsp cumin seeds
    • 1 tsp chilli powder or to taste
    • 1/2 tsp baking powder
    • 1/4 cup gheewater to knead
    • 1/2 cup melted ghee to soak the baatis

Method: Mix together the atta, besan, saltg, heeng, zeera, chilli powder and baking powder. Rub the 1/2 cup ghee into the mixture, then knead into a stiff dough with water. Shape into balls and keep covered with a damp cloth till ready to bake. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 175C-450 F till brown (15-20mins) Switch oven to Crisp? mode for two minutes. 5. Remove from oven and soak into the melted ghee for 3 minutes and serve hot with daal. You can add onion and garlic (finely chopped) if you so desire
    Churma

Ingredents:
    • Churma200 gm flour
    • 1/2 tsp baking soda
    • 5 tsp clarified butterwater
    • 5 tsp boora (dried sugar syrup)
    • 4 tsp clarified buttermava / khoya
    • finely sliced pistachiofinely sliced almonds; all to taste
    • Baatiflourbaking sodaclarified
    • butterwater; all to taste

Method: For the churma, mix baking soda, clarified butter with flour and knead the flour with water to make a dough. Shape the dough into equal fist shaped pieces.Now fry the dough pieces in clarified butter on low flame for fifteen minutes. Pound the fried pieces into powder and sieve.To the powder add the clarified butter, boora and sieved mava. Mix it well. Then add pistachio and almonds and mix it well again. The churma is ready.For the baati, knead the flour with baking soda, clarified butter and Luke warm water. Shape the dough into palm sized ball and boil them in water for ten minutes. Fry them in clarified butter till they turn golden brown.Remove from the pan and soak them in clarified butter. Baati is ready.Serve Baati and Churma with Dal.
    • All are welcome to share some special Rajasthan Cuisine.

7. PandeyKranti

PandeyKranti New IL'ite

Re: Rajasthan's special Dal-Baati and Churma

Hi,
    Occasionally I cook Daal-Baati,Churma.It is very famous Rajasthani dish.

Some more Rajasthani Special

Kadhi Pakori Recipe

Ingredents:

6 cups of buttermilk or diluted curd(yogurt)
    Water to dilute if needed
    1 tsp turmeric powder
    Salt to taste
    1 tablespoon besan

For the pokodis:
    1 cup besan
    3-4 green chillies chopped
    1 onion chopped
    2 tsp chilli powder
    1 tsp jeera
    A pinch of hing
    1/2 bunch methi leaves, chopped finely
    1/2 bunch coriander leaves, chopped finely

For seasoning:
    3 garlic flakes, chopped finely
    1 green chili, chopped
    1 tsp mustard seeds
    1/2 tsp sauf, powdered
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    1 tsp red chili powder
    1/4 tsp turmeric powder
    2 tsp dhania (coriander) powder
    A pinch of hing

Method:

Mix the turmeric, salt and the besan in the buttermilk,
    add 2-3 cups of water and bring to a boil on low heat,
    stiring conntinuously.Set aside.
    Mix all the pakodi ingredients with a little water in a
    bowl,to get the consistency of thick batter.
    Make small round balls with the batter and deep fry in
    oil till golden brown.
    Drain oil and add to the buttermilk.
    Prepare the seasoning and add to the buttermilk.
    Serve hot with plain rice.

8. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Hi mrignanyani
    Thankyou for ur alternate way of a making batti.Actually there are so many ways to cook it & every one taste really nice.
    Regards
    jaishree

9. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

hi kranti pandey
    Thankyou for ur recipie of rajasthani Caurry pakara ,even I wanted to post it but seeing not much enthusisim in readers just postponed it.
    At our home Pulav with curry is very much liked by my both daughters .
    I dont put Heeng & Garlic in curry.
    Inspite of Pakaras u can simply put onions or pottao ,cut to medium sized & half cooked and than boil with curry .

10. aarr

aarr Gold IL'ite

hiiiiiiiiii jaishree
    thanks for sending dal batti recipe,for a very long time I was searching for the ingredients of dal batti.long time back i had made baafle but they weren't as desired.. i had baked them in a gas tandoor. can you tell me whether the ingredients of batti and baafle are same or not?

aarr