1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Raising Indian kids in the USA

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by knowmore, Jan 10, 2008.

1. qwarentine

qwarentine New IL'ite

best to raise in india

2. Nettem

Nettem New IL'ite

chk out these threads.they might help u to take a decision.

1. Engineering in US
    2. For the parents who are mad about IITs/IIMs
    3. Shameless..Happens only in India...first ranker refused specilisation of his choice
    4. Most Imp of all is In 2011, Americans could travel to 169 countries visa-free, or with visa on arrival
    Visa requirements for United States citizens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. chk out where India stands in quality of Maths & science education

i. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trends_..._Science_Study
    ii. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program...ent_Assessment

6. Many people say lack of friends & relatives In USA as main cause for R2I/ hmmmmmmm. There's a quote " more success more relatives & friends, less success less relatives & friends). So ultimately having friends & relatives depends on how much money u have, how much power u hold & in what position u r in, & its same whether u r in India or USA.

popular quote from lord of war movie "I had a flair for languages. But I soon discovered that what talks best is dollars, dinars, drachmas, rubles, rupees and pounds ****ing sterling. "

7.. IF u are from forward community its difficult for ur children to get admitted in to so called top Indian colleges Bcz of reservations ( Minimum 50 % to 82% of reservations, for eg In states like Andhra Pradesh u have 82%(50% for SC/ST/OBC + 33% for women For remaining 18% they say its for open category but the fact is everybody competes for that 18% from OC to SC/ST/OBC) in educational institutions and Govt Jobs). So is the case with Tamilnadu & many other states in India including my home state.

Now u can understand MERIT, Equality in India is a major joke & everything is unfair.

so my personal suggestion for u is to stay in USA than going back to India unless if u r a businessman or politician.

some body was saying greatness of india chk few of my threads u can understand reality of it.
    Of the recorded Hindu history of around 2,300 years, Bharat was under the jackboots of slavery for some 1300 years—a dubious record.We as a nation lack the killer instinct. We lack the ruthlessness, the cunning, the immorality needed to become a true world power.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/members/nettem-65845.html

PLz do chk out my other threads & let me know ur comments.

Atheism as Religion....
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/q...-spirituality/160875-atheism-as-religion.html

Bright side of H4 Visa.....what you can do as H4 wife....
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/h4-indian-ladies/143672-bright-side-h4-visa-what.html

1 person likes this.
  3. KristenG

KristenG New IL'ite

Hi:
    I'm a white American citizen with two young children. I wonder if I should be concerned about my young kids growing up here in the U.S. Honestly. Can and should I move to another country to raise them?
    Thanks.

4. KristenG

KristenG New IL'ite

I'm a white American. Sorry, but what are the so called "harsh realities" that are mentioned in the quote below? Thanks.

5. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kristen
    Welcome To IL
    There is nothing wrong with America... I guess the OP was discussing about cultural difference...

6. KristenG

KristenG New IL'ite

I've read several of the posts on this thread. The topic of raising Indian kids in the USA for so many of the posts seems to be actually how to make sure your Indian daughter stays a virgin. As an American, I know this is a concern for Americans too. But isn't raising children a far broader topic?? This seems so narrow to me. Thanks for letting me comment.

7. KristenG

KristenG New IL'ite

Yes, I know. I'm just curious what this poster is referring to when they say "harsh realities". I should say, I've lived in Asia and Central America and believe me, life can be a lot harsher. So, I do hope to hear back from the original poster.

8. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

Kristen,

Dyana has not logged into IL for a very long time. (Click on her name and check her profile that shows her last activity time stamp)

BTW, Please raise your kids in America. They will turn out just fine. All the best. (I have lived in US and India)

1 person likes this.
  9. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Moving with the topic of kids while they grow in US. This is wrt boys and circumcision.

Our ped. mentioned me that it is better to get the boy circumcised early as to avoid "embarrassment " in locker rooms. She mentioned her son had to undergo circumcision @ 16 years; as he felt he was odd one out.

We opted out of circumcision; because we both couldn't withstand the thought of "pain" on the newborn and decided it is a matter of "his choice"; at later point. This "friendly suggession" by our ped. yesterday put all the doubts back.

Any thought on these...?

-Nitha

10. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi
    Ofcourse raising kids is broader topic but having been in various nations yourself you might know the differences... they are chatting their common concerns...

2 people like this.