quitting medical school

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by aaggarwal113, Oct 17, 2012.

1. aaggarwal113

aaggarwal113 Junior IL'ite

I am in U.S and here after log struggle i got in medical school.
    i have been diagnosed with thyroidsm since couple of years back. My health condition and interest doesn't allow me to continue my studies. My husband doesn't say anythg but will keep quiet when i say i find it difficult to continue. I feel i am going into depression and feel lot of pressure.
    Please suggest me what shd i do?

i already have some loan too. but i feel study is so hard and my heaalth is so weak shd i continue or quit.
    If i quit, i want to do some less pressurizing study through i can get some job.

Please please advice

2. Memories

Memories Senior IL'ite

Dear please don't take any decisions hastily. Even am a thyroid patient from past several years. If you are suffering from depression, most likely your thyroids levels will be high/low than needed. So you need to correct it, first and foremost please find a good Endocrinologist and get your level checked and take medicine correctly.

Are you taking thyroid medication first thing in the morning on an empty stomach?
    Are you taking food atleast 30 minutes after taking medicine?

The answer to both question should be Yes (according to my knowledge) for the medicine to work effectively.

3. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Hello,
    I can understand what a struggle you must have gone through! I have seen people clear US med exams with lot of difficulty,that too in the best of health.Its a demanding profession as well. You say that your health condition and interest doesn't allow you to continue further. Please ask yourself honestly whether its due to your health or that your interest/will to struggle more has decreased.
    Thyroid ,apart from physical issues ,also affects one psychologically.I don't know anything much about it,just have seen family members with thyroid problems having a lot of mood swings. You,being a doc would know much more about it. Just think again and check with the relevant people if you can take a break and join med school later.Maybe you can do some other relevant courses,which will give you some credits.

4. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Dear OP,
    It appears that you are not interested in a medical degree hence the excuses. What do you expect your DH to say, he is wise so he keeping quiet.
    You have to take your decision and not blame anyone for making you quit.
    A medical degree is tough, kudos for getting admission and also hats off for your DH if he is paying the fee.
    Think deeply before you act.

5. nnallamala

nnallamala New IL'ite

Dont give up, try to focus on what your are doing.

6. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

dont give up. just a few yrs of struggle, but ultimately its all worth it. been there, done that. so i know its tough, even when u r in the pink of health. but since u r half way thru, u shuld see it thru. think abt all the other ppl who have put in time/energy and money to get u here. hypothyroidism is a correctable condition. and its true u ll feel fatigued cos of it. but since u r on drugs, it ll jus take some time for the hormonal levels to rise. and then u ll feel better. dont be in a hurry to quit. later u shudnt regret it.

7. fencesitter

fencesitter Platinum IL'ite

You are a doctor, so you know better. Have you lost interest/passion in medical field now? i mean, medicine is one such profession where interest/passion is paramount. Even if you do not want to be in clinical side, there are plenty of other options where you may not have to slog hard, like drug companies. So you have options.