1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about the US celebrations

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Varloo, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    I read lots of books, fiction especially. And I find many things in them, for which I have not got answers so far. I did not knew whom to ask. Now that there are so many friends I could turn to, I think I would ask. This may be halp others too.
    So ladies, are you ready to give answers?
    1. What is Thanksgiving? I know it is some sort of a festival before Christmas. But I would like to know the significance of that.
    I shall ask the next question once I get the answer for this one.

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Here's the Answer,Varloo

Dear Varloo,
    Here's the reply for your question
    [SIZE=-1]Thanksgiving is a holiday celebrated in much of North America, generally observed as an expression of gratitude, usually to God. The most common view of its origin is that it was to give thanks to God for the bounty of the autumn harvest. In the United States, the holiday is celebrated on the fourth Thursday in November. ...
    As we prepare chakkarai pongal and ven pongal on the Pongal day, Americans have a full turkey on the Thanksgiving day.

[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]It is celebrated on the second Monday in October in Canada;

regards,
    sridhar
    [/SIZE]

3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

And some more information

It was started way back when the first pilgrims came to America. The first year they really suffered a lot and there was food scarcity, lot of people died etc....
    The next year with the help of the native Americans, they were able to farm and produced a bumper harvest. And so after the harvest season ( typically finishing by mid october, they set aside the 4th thursday to give thanks to the god.
    Typical meal :
    Turkey
    Dishes made with corn, pumpkin, cranberries.

Vandhana

4. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Hi Varloo,

This is why they celebrate thanksgiving in US. They reflect on everything they have and give thanks just like the pilgrims did years before.

The pilgrims were the early settlers in North America. In the 1600's they came from England because they could not practice religion freely. They came to New England in a ship called'Mayflower'. They included the merchants and other settlers. They survived the harsh winter for a year and in the process the people who helped them were the Native Americans. They made use of the things that were available in plenty like corn,pumpkin and turkey, and potatoes. They made a big meal out of it. The pilgrims thanked the Native Americans for all their hospitality and that is what it signifies. Abraham Lincoln was the first president to declare it as a national holiday and so the tradition continues. They give thanks for all the bountiful that they have.
    I hope I have explained to some extent.
    Love,

5. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

That was nice!

Dear Vandhana, Varalotti and Anjana,
    thanks a lot for the information. I have always wondered whom they were thanking, even though I guessed who else but God. But it seemed a very important feast that they enjoy with their family.
    And to know that each country has similar festivals really makes us feel one, isn't it?
    Thanks once again folks. I'll be back with my next doubt soon.

6. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Halloween!

Hai,
    Now it is Halloween. I have a vague idea, it is a day to remember the dead or the ghosts- something like that. Or is it a day to scre off the ghosts which come down to the earth? And what is the significance of children dressing up and visiting neighbours and sayin 'Trick or treat'?

7. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite