1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Question to everyone......

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by jignasha27, Nov 3, 2011.

1. jignasha27

jignasha27 Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

Am here to ask you all something....one question is bugging me since few days...ok let start like this....

We are renting in one bedroom apartment. am having 16 months old son:)...hes very active but always wants someone to play with him. he throws lot of tantrums sometimes..ok lets cut it short.... is it correct that hes doing all this bcoz we are having only one bedroom and hes not having enough place to move around and also he needs seperate room for him.... one of my friend keeps on asking me" how you are managing in one bedroom apt with all toys and all?":rant ......but i say even if i have more bedrooms my kid will stick to me..he wont play alone.... i tried shifting his toys in bedroom to see any difference but still he wanders around me in kitchen and plays with utensils.....my friend always bugs me and makes me feel that am " kanjoos" and not buying expensive toys and clothes to my kid........... we used to talk daily over the phone but now am not feeling like calling her.... my DH calls her "price tag"...coz she alway mention price of the thing she bought...and ofcourse she always buy branded and expensive things ( even they are single person earning family)...her sister has daughter who is 2 months older than my son...so she alway tells me my sister bought this and that....i hope shes not following this forum:hide::hide:

ours is one person earning family....its not that we dont have toys but he doesnt even care wen i bring new toy....instead he enjoys playing with me and his dad.

ok friendz plz give some advice...i have no idea if shes right....dont hesitate to give correct advice....we can rent in 2 bedrooms but its waste coz we dont have any relatives in Us ....so no one will come or stay with us even for a day....and my kid, he cosleesps...so kind of confused...to shift or not...

also suggest me some good TOYS, BOOKS and specially some DVDs.... i observed that he catches few things from videos from youtube..

Thanks in advance:thankyou2:

2. Superwoman

Superwoman Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I also have 15 months old son, he does exactly the same. I will tell you how I handle this. He has lot of toys to play, everything for his age. But he never plays with all those, may be if it is new one, he will play maximum of 10 minutes otherwise he will always be with me in kitchen playing with utensils opening all the cupboards pulling everything out, making noise, and spreads all over the house. Once I found my chapathi roller under the pillow:).

Try to hide some toys and bring them back one by one, its works with my son, he will get excited and play with that for sometime. And even when I am cooking I use to sing a song, rhymes.,tell him stories with lot of expressions and different sounds, he will never look at me, but laughs when i make some funny noise and if i stop he will pull my dress and ask me to continue.I am doing this for the past three months. He started talking few words only after that I feel. I will take him to the play area and we both play together, throwing balls etc. You can also try all these.

our flat is of 3 bhk with only three of us. Even then he loves to play around me, throwing lot of tantrums, If my DH is at home he will play with him.

So I dont think your single bedroom house or toys are the problem. But We have wide balcony(safe) where my son spends most of the time watching vehicles, If you have one, try to spend time there. Its very interesting for them they learn the names of vehicles, animals easily, identifying people according to their age ( brother, grandpa, sister, aunty, Uncle) etc

Please dont listen to your friend each baby is different. Whatever expensive toys we buy, they need us always, we need to sit and play with them.

Hope it helps.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  3. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Every Kid is different every kid's personality is different...I have a 5 bedroom single family home but my DS who is 2.3 yrs old always plays wherever me or my DH is there...He doesn't go and play in a totally different room...Even though he has tons of toys he still plays with the kitchen utensils when I am cooking...So I think space does not matter...

My DS has tons of toys..Nothing majorly expensive...Everything is under $ 50...Whenever he plays with a toy he doesn't see the price tag!!! He spends the same time with a $ 50 toy as he spends with a toy bought at a dollar store...Infact what I have observed is he likes the dollar store toy better :) And over a period of time what I have realized is it's waste of money to spend on expensive toys...Anyways he plays with each toy not more than 10 mins...I think variety is more important than the price tag...Rotation of toys is important and helps...That way they don't get bored...Pack away some toys for a week and give him the same one the following week...see what happens. His face will glow in glee :)

We have a huge living room, so he does enjoy running in the room and riding a bicycle (specially since it's cold outside)...He also plays in different rooms but only if DH or I are around him...But I don't think space matters for a little child as long as they are happy..

Don't buy books and DVD's...Rent them out from the public library...You never know when the kid's taste would change..So renting is better..

Good luck and enjoy your Kid...Ignore your so what called "Friend". It's better not to get influenced by such people...

4. inlovewithmylyf

inlovewithmylyf Platinum IL'ite

Your friend s just showing off... Ignore her... Ur kid s just 16 months n what does he know about brands n prices??? I don't have a kid but I have seen my neighbors kids do th same... They don't play with their toys, they just keep playing with th kitchen utensils or go stand with their moms in th kitchen right in front of th dishwasher... I think they kind of get bored when left alone with their toys... So, even if u buy expensive toys ur kid s gonna do th same... Play for 10 mins n then throw them away... So, why spend unnecessarily??? Try taking him to a park nearby in th evenings... Tht ll be a change for him... He ll get a chance to play with other kids...

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Jignasha, kids that age do not play much by themselves or with toys neither do they co-play till they are 3 I think. They are observing and learning and hence they follow moms like little goslings. I always feel happy that all they need is our presence and some kitchen utensils and they can be busy.

Of course you know relating that to how big a house we live in is not in good taste and are not related. Think about all the people who are less blessed. Don't let this get to you - You need to be confident of what you are doing and feel comfortaable in your skin. It is not aa question of whether you can afford or not, but simply a question of whether it is a need or not at this point - the two bed room house. I think you need to convey to her that you are content where you are. If she says her sister bought something expensive for her child, tell her "how wonderful" and leave it at that. She is comparing, but you don't have to fall for that!

I have never been a big believer in toys and have rarely bought for my kids - it has always been the gifts that other people have given that were used. you could certainly read some books to him and if you are driving, do take him for toddler story times in your library.

6. jignasha27

jignasha27 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks everyone for suggestions and support. :)

7. Divine84

Divine84 Junior IL'ite

I have a 16 month old as well....and she plays only where me or her dad are.... her favourite toys are my kitchen utensils, her clothes cupboard and old news paper.... :) so don't worry and don't let others "lifestyles" get to you.... If you are comfortable where you are and don't see a major need to change, I don't think you should.

I would suggest you get him books though. My DD loves her books. You can get board books.... her fav currently is one which has all the sounds things make....now when reading it to her, she makes the sounds as well... its a joy!! so enjoy your time with your kid. :)

8. lgirish

lgirish Platinum IL'ite

More than playing with toys kids love interaction. Though they may not understand what we say they are fond of the sounds. Tell him stories with different modulations and sing to him. He`ll love it. The kids get bored of toys very soon. So there is no point going on buying new ones. Even my DS used to love playing with kitchen utensils and make noise with them when he was a kid.Yes they observe and learn things. So don`t worry.

9. Subhaganesh

Subhaganesh Gold IL'ite

dear,
    kids does not need anything other than our love...what bothers ur neighbor give her a good shot when she keep on talking like this..its not her business....u r doing fine with kid..don't feel guilty...mom knows what my kid wants, what will be useful,everything...so far u r doing good... ignore those sick characters

10. mallugal

mallugal Senior IL'ite

Dear friend..
    I can relate to you very well. It was the same thing for me 2 yrs back. Even in my family only my hubby works..i stay at home. Whn i first came to US we too lived in a single bed apartment. It was small but it was heaven on earth for us. My daughter was 15 months old at tht time..she didnt had a single toy for 2-3 months..cuz i carried a lot of household items with me. But she was very happy :) She too used to play with me in the kitchen. And she wanted to doeverything tht i did. So whn im chopping veggies..she wud cry for tht. I wud give her some veggie and a plastic knife..and it wud occupy her. whn i do laundry i wud let her load the washer..she can pick her clothes..it wud make her soo happy. My point is kids dont need expensive toys..defenitely not branded ones. U r not doing anything wrong. I got her a phonics book..like Babys first 100 words..and she was able to recognize all the images very soon..she cudnt say wht it was..but whn i ask her she wud point to it. And whn we say good job..she wud get sooo happy and confident... :) Now she's in kindergarten all tht is helping her. So i wud suggest introduce books to ur son..u may need to sit with him couple of times..soon he will get busy in all tht.

Regarding ur friend..thr r ppl like tht everywhr..its best to ignore thm.