Question regarding sleeping position

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Amicable, Mar 26, 2008.

1. dubbi

dubbi Bronze IL'ite

Re: which side to sleep

Hi jyoti

First find out the reason you cant sleep like frequent urination, uncomfortable temp or anxiety. Dont force yourself to lie down and shut your eyes. Sit comfortably in your bed and read a book. Dont do brain stimulating activity like watching TV.

Lie down when you feel groggy. Keep a pillow between your legs fro comfort when you sleep on your side.

You can sleep on any side till 4 months pregnancy. After which you can sleep on your sides and you can sleep on your back for maybe 1/2 an hour or so then again turn sideways.

Preferably sleep on left side after 7 months but its not a steadfast rule. You can lie on your back for 1/2 an hour that is not a problem. Also when you want turn from side to side please do so , will not affect the baby.

Deepa

2. Monsi

Monsi Bronze IL'ite

Hi jyothi,
    As everyone has suggested already that left side sleeping is the best option. But to tell u the truth, i never did that bonkSomehow I felt very comfortable in lying on my right side.
    First trimester I faced the similar problem of not being able to sleep at all ! I did not have any anxiety or anything of that sort but once I was awake, i just **** go back to sleep.
    Anyways, this is all part and parcel of pregnancy. Dont worry too much about it :) Try to take small naps as and when you can. They will give you the required stamina. Keep a pillow between your legs when lying on sides. Also avoid sleeping on your back after 5th month. In the night try some relaxing activities like soothing music or reading a nice book or even remembering God. Ask your hubby to give you a nice head massage :wink:
    All the best for your pregnancy and follow the thumb rule which is ALWAYS STAY HAPPY :thumbsup
    Take care,

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  3. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

Continuing the previous posts,It is always better to lie on left side after 5th month(as your tummy gets bigger).Until then you can find out which position is comfortable for you.Elevated pillows will help.

Many people find difficulty in sleeping during first and third trisemester.Probably due to that you are not sleeping,if this is your first kid,try to take small naps in the morning/afternoon,whenever you find time(If you are already having a kid,you can't do that :)).

4. meena_arun

meena_arun Senior IL'ite

Hi Joythi,
    Like our other IL frens has mentioned, it is always good to sleep on your left side during pregnancy. The reason they tell this is that the blood flow from you to your baby will be very good when you sleep on your left. But I think 10 weeks is very early during pregnancy for you to be sleep depriviated. Usually you will feel uncomfortable while sleeping only when your tummy starts growing big and when you start feeling the heaviness of your tummy....
    Drink a cup of plain warm milk with a little sugar, just before you go to bed. This will give you a good sleep. Recite some slogams before you go to bed.

Wish you get a good sleep....have a happy and healthy pregnancy.

5. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ladies,

am now 8weeks preggie :) and I also face similar issues...,
    i sleep towards my left side with a pillow for my leg.., i feel scared whetehr my tummy will get pressed lik.., :spin

any suggestions?

6. bujjig

bujjig New IL'ite

hi anitha,
    congrats on your pregnency
    i read all ur problems, me too have the same problems like sleeping,hate of food smell(especially rice),nausea,also i have vomitings,i am not intrested to eat any kind of food.
    anitha when your last LMP date
    i was totally confused about how many weeks pregnent i am.
    still i dont have any type of scan,my next appointment is on june 26th

with love

7. ahmareen

ahmareen Senior IL'ite

why pregnant lady advised to sleep left side

can anyone plz tell me why a pregnant women are advised to sleep on left side
    i m not comfortable in that position.

8. enlightened

enlightened Bronze IL'ite

Re: why pregnant lady advised to sleep left side

because it improves blood circulation to uterus and helps baby grow well....sleeping on right is also ok...but sleeping on the back esp post first trimester is not recommended...

9. ahmareen

ahmareen Senior IL'ite

Re: why pregnant lady advised to sleep left side

thanks
    ok i understand
    earlier i thought it has some connection with heart also
    mean left heart left side lol
    mine have right so i thought of right

10. kavyareddy

kavyareddy New IL'ite

Pressure on Stomach during pregnancy

What happens if stomach is pressurized during pregnancy? Does it effect the child inside?