Question about rental agreements in Chennai

Discussion in 'Housing' started by hasita, Jun 7, 2007.

1. hasita

hasita Bronze IL'ite

hi all,
    I would like to have some information regarding the rental agreements and how it functions here in Chennai.

1. On completion of 11 months of the initial rental time, can the landlord take the place without giving a one-month notice? Or is he required to mention in advance, say the 10th or 11th month?

2. In case time has already extended beyond the stipulated 11 months, into the next period - then does is it mandatory to draw out another agreement?

thanks,
    hasita

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007

2. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Re: Q. about rentals in Chennai

Hi Hasita
    Based on our interaction with a decent landlord in the past here are my inputs..
    1.strictly speaking they should give us a month's notice but if they have specified in the agreement that the tenant should vacate when demanded explicitly .. we have no choice.:evil:
    Yes.. it is mandatory to renew the agreement and generally the house owners prepare it promptly and make you sign the agreement when you pay the rent for the 11th month.Afterall it involves a 5% rental hike right?:wink:

Regards
    Honeybee

3. hasita

hasita Bronze IL'ite

hi Honeybee,
    Thanks for the reply.

I am a bit apprehensive because my landlord's brother is suddenly come with all his luggage and sitting outside the door since a couple of days! (landlord says he vacated his house).

And its 11 months (actually 12) since we shifted here. He has not spoken anything, so we are continuing same way. Hope he does not say anything untoward! :icon_frown:
    thanks,
    hasita

4. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Hi Hasita
    :eek:mg: Hope you have renewed your agreement..
    Anyway nothing to worry ..

Regards
    Honeybee