1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Query on urinary habit

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Aabhi, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Aabhi

Aabhi Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I would like to place a query related to my son's urinary habits. He is 4 1/2 years old and he goes to Upper KG. The problem is he urinates the bed everyday when he sleeps (I mean whenever he sleeps - day or night). Before going to bed, I make sure he passes and empty his tank. And I tell him to wake me up before passing in the bed. But I think he couldn't feel it, while passing. He is 4 1/2 and he can't even say (while sleeping)

What can I do Ilites? Iam sure many of our friends would have come across this.........any suggestions? please advice.

Thanks a lot.

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Hi Aabhi,
    Don't give him any milk or water before he goes to sleep, that may also trigger going during the midnight.
    If he is scared or dreaming about something may also make him do that!
    you can consult a physician if you find no other possible reasons for his act, for which they might be helpful.

sriniketan

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi abhi,

It is a very common problem...bedwetting..i have heard of cases where the child(?) is more than 15yrs..

one piece of suggestion never reprimand your son for this...it just happens...try waking up yourself with an alarm at intervals and helping him to sort this problem..

If he is on some medications??like for cough/cold/allergies...these could trigger along with the other factors that sriniketan has discussed....

if you are worried check out with your doctor....

4. kuttimayil

kuttimayil New IL'ite

hi aabhi

while my younger son 5 years old stopped bed-wetting, my elder one 10 years old still doing this, as a result of which, i'm getting frustrated sometimes.

one of my friends infmd that homeopathy may be having cure for this problem. residing in india, you can very well try this, even i bought one course and gave. i felt that the problem is reduced and very rarely he does now.

all the best.

uma.

5. jasi

jasi New IL'ite

hai,
    same like this , my son is also now 41/2years old same like this my son also having this habit, iam having such ideas to clear this problem , but it is not possible our daily life, while he going to bed tell to pass urine,and then while u wake up at 1hours tell him to pass urine, like this we want to do for two times ite enough he wont pass urine upto 6 'o clock , its my suggestion ,same like his iam doing, if it is possible for u u can do like this method.
    by
    jasi

6. Aabhi

Aabhi Gold IL'ite

Thanks Kutti,
    Thanks for your suggestion. I shall try to check out homeopahty medicine.

Thanks Jasi,
    I too try to follow this, but many days after the long day work I sleep throughout the night without getting up in between for water or toilet. And hence while I sleep, he passes urine. Iam trying to set alarm like Shanvy's advise and make sure to get up twice inbetween till he get used to it.

Thank you all again.

7. kuttimayil

kuttimayil New IL'ite

hi aabhi

kuttimayil is my username as i couldn't get in my original name which is uma.

you must hv patience and more punctual in giving the homeopathy medicine. be prepared and all the best to u and your son.

uma.

8. Vidya Arun

Vidya Arun Senior IL'ite

Aabhi

My son just turned 4 and still bedwetting all the time. I asked the doc and he said its pretty common until they are about 5 and it will slowly stop. The best would be as some of the friends sggested here, to stop fluids atleast before an hour to bed. I usually put my son to bed at 9pm and so give his milk around 8.30 and read a bed time story for him and then leave him in the bathroom and put him to bed. Most days are lucky but somedays are wetty days for us. No big deal and there is nothing to worry about this. I have friends whose kids are 5 and still wearing pull up's in the night(In fact i do it somedays too!!!!)..

Vidya

9. syedmomina

syedmomina New IL'ite

hi everyone
    atleast ur kids r wetting their bed my son who is 4 does not like to go to the toilet he passes out the urine in his pants and sometimes when i tell him to go to the toilet he cries screams or either runs off plz help me out......

10. pinky2

pinky2 Bronze IL'ite

This habit is commom for kids of his age.My DS is 5 yrs old and he still uses training pants(diaper) only at night.Sometimes its full and sometimes not.Dr.says its nothing to worry.You can set an alarm and take him to potty at night or use diapers at night if feel hard to wake him up.HTH.

Pinky.