Queries for a pregnant lady travelling for the first time to London

Discussion in 'Indians in the UK' started by Divya1508, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Divya1508

Divya1508 New IL'ite

Hello All.

I am new to the community.

I will be travelling next weekend to London along with my husband for an year. I am again 34 weeks pregnant at the time of travel and we intent to stay in Ilford or surrounding areas. I seek advise from you all on the following:
    1. I know the medical facilities in UK are better than India but I would like to know what medical differences will I see considering the Indian medical benefits. I just want to be prepared so that I don't see surprises there.
    2. What are the essentials which I should carry for my newborn which I might not get there.
    3. I heard from people that I should carry a pressure cooker and a mixer. Is a mixer allowed in flights? What other utensil and food items should I carry?
    4. Considering I will reach in the first week of March. Should I consider heavy woolen cloths for now? I see the winter season going so how is it going to be different in UK.
    5. What groceries are allowed in flight? Can I carry all north Indian spices? Please let me know if some species are prohibited in flight. (Considering, I might be flying in British Airways or Air India)
    6. Any other precaution which I should foresee considering I am pregnant.

Thank you everyone. :)

2. Divya1508

Divya1508 New IL'ite

Waiting for friends to help me out. Thanks in advance.

Divya

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Are you 34 weeks pregnant? I am not sure if you will be allowed to travel during your third trimester. Please verify it with the airlines.

Also for the first few months (I think 6 months) after you come to uk, you will not be covered by the national health services. Check before you travel with your insurance company about whether you have maternity cover(usually it isn't included) because private care is very, very expensive.

Yes you can carry a cooker and mixie. There are no restrictions on that as long as you are within the weight limit.

You get everything necessary for a new born here. There is no reason to worry on that front. It helps a great deal if you have shopped before the baby is born.

If I am not wrong ilford has a huge indian population and it is close to eastham which is another indian hub. You should be able to get all the groceries you will ever need. There are also online indian grocery shops like itadka which deliver straight to your home.

Again, I would like to reiterate that you go through the fine print of your insurance about how your maternity care will be funded and what care you are eligible for through the NHS.

4. Divya1508

Divya1508 New IL'ite

Yes, I will be in 34th week at the time of travel. We checked with airlines and they are okay with it till I have a doctor's consent. They allow till 36th week.

Is it true that new-comers are not covered till 6th month? Everyone in my husband's company are saying no need to worry and NHS stuff will be done moment you get a house. Honestly, is it true? Please advise.

5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

You will probably get primary care - which is to register with a GP. You would also get emergency care. However maternity won't come under emergency.

Years ago when I came, I think I had private insurance for the first 3 or 6 months. Only then could I even register with a GP. I think things have changed since and you could register with a GP, but I read recently that won't automatically involve hospitalisation or consultant or maternity care.

Check the NHS website. Talk to your insurance provider. Talk to the HR in your husbands company. If you know someone in ilford, ask them to ring up the GP surgery and get advice. Perhaps they could get you the number of the community midwives in the area. They would have up to date knowledge of the current laws. You could contact the British embassy in your area and enquire as well. Have the exact details of your and your husbands visa details when you call.

Get some commitment in writing that your maternity will be covered by he NHS when you arrive. If not, enquire about the charges and check if your insurance will cover it. Good luck.

6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

I'm trying to find web links for you. You can certainly register with a GP, however you might be asked to pay for secondary care. It will depend on the exact visa that you have. Check this link out. The nhs website should be a good starting point.

Am I entitled to NHS treatment when I move to England? - Health questions - NHS Choices

The good news is that they cannot refuse you maternity care; you will have to ensure that with your visa status you are entitled to free NHS maternity care.

Ring up the embassy and ask them for information.

7. Sudoku

Sudoku New IL'ite

Guesshoo has some great information!

But please be well researched. Private insurance doesn't cover maternity either! The private cost of delivery is between 8 and 11,000£.

Yes usually NHS is quick. However, you will need to find a suitable house instantly and have to really hurry on paper work of house and NHS registration. Usually its quick.... However if anything goes under inquiry or if there are any delays in paperwork it might be a trouble.

I don't mean to scare you, but I just hope you understand gravity of what you are doing.

A pressure cooker will be very helpful yes! Pans and stuff are available but expensive! Dont bother with any eating and serving vessels as you probably will use more glass and less steal once you get here as its more microwave and oven friendly.

You will need some woolen clothes in March if not a lot. Its still cold in March although its end of winter. Usually it starts to transition to spring in April and is warmer May on.

Also here are some list of how to's that might help you to settle here easily.... all the best!

1 person likes this.