1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Quality Vs Quantity

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by anika987, Apr 27, 2022.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Friendship is a Beautiful thing.

My idea of friendship is just spending good time with people we are comfortable with.We need not even have same ideas or wavelength but just some basic respect for each other and we should feel a decent vibe.Nothing else.That is a pretty reasonable expectation right?:)Hope am not too greedy.

Another thing I realized is that..if you are someone like me with a small group of friends (max 3 or 4)..we should be at ease with each other as smaller groups can tend to get personal but if all of them
    Get along..it is magic:)Sometimes larger groups and meeting them once in a while seems easier as it can be superficial and once in a while seems okay for me.

Also..to the ladies who are a part of large gang of friends..do you really feel
    Comfortable in that group and like all of them? Is it even possible to get along with everyone in a group? If so..tips please.

Quality or quantity?

Just a casual thread

Laks09 and Rihana like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

For general times, quality of friendship (connection, vibe..) wins over quantity ( how many friends). When I think of events like child's wedding, I despair that there will be not many "mom's friends" : )

large gang of woman friends... I know a few such women who are parts of large gangs. : ) They invariably *itch to me about friends from that large gang.

For me now, a group of three friends me included feels large.

Laks09, anika987 and messedup like this.
  3. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

For me quality is important...I usually have max 3-4 friends and also I make sure my wavelength matches with them. A very long time ago I tried going to all potlucks and always wants to initiate more talk with new ladies but I end up in zero friendship.

I am happy with 3 or 4 with whom I can have fun

Laks09 and anika987 like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Yeah true Rihana..faced that *itching and some unwanted competition in a large gang.Walked
    Out but always felt like the odd woman out with very very few friends.I wonder how many manage in a huge gang.my cousin has too many people and she seems to have fun all the time..sometimes I wonder where people find that mental energy to deal with gang issues especially having office and home and other duties.kudos to them!

Rihana likes this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Potlucks were so boring in my case.Especially during initial days..it was always talks about weight and kids(was not a mom at that time).
    Plus there will always be one member who is a spoilt sport in that gang.

wavelength matters a lot to me..they need not be perfect as am not either but there should be some positive vibe and comfort with that person.

I don’t have many that way..just few and there are in India except one or two here..always felt something was wrong with me since I don’t enjoy going out in a huge gang but glad to know people think like me:)

Mehana likes this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

NO!!! o_O Really?
    Still twinning Ri? I cannot believe this!! Between the three of us, if one has an issue and needs help the other two give a perspective that is exactly opposite to one another :biggrin:

anika987 and Rihana like this.
  7. paru123

paru123 Gold IL'ite

IMO both are required in life. There is no commitment when you are in a large group, it's just fun time when you are with lots of friends. You need not deal with any of their behavioural issues, just go with the flow. You can enjoy life a bit more in large groups, simple meaningless giggles and laughter.

You cannot majorly depend on any of the friends in large groups when you have a problem in life. It is then, that quality friends matter, who can give us opinions, advices, suggestions, a shoulder to cry.

So best to keep both groups separate if you can, or handle carefully the friends who matter to you in the long run if they are in both groups.

8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

In a movie late comedian NAGESH says “ when fruit is little (small) juice is more sweeter”.

In large group there is a tendency of one or more gossiping about the other that leads to polarise the group, and eventually that leads to feuds and fights and bickering.
    Smaller the group, it is easy to manage that has better potential of emerging bosom friends.
    one’s closeness to a small or large group may last for few days or months and rarely it will last for years.

I tend to open more buttons for few who am sure not Tom Tom my or my family secrets/ issues.
    One not sure when another distant friend would turn a Samaritan in his or her life. So one got to be meticulous in continuing friendship and avoid making foes.

anika987 likes this.
  9. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Yup its hard to maintain big gang unless we have consistently seeing them..also depends on our family style. My H doesn't go socially well with everyone and mw either..so we are happy what we have:)

anika987 and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

I talk to a lot of people and have lot of acquaintances, because 2020 lockdown taught me that, it is good to know the names of my neighbors and say a hi and hello now and then.

Coming to friends, we have a group of ladies from different walks of lives and different regions of India which i find beautiful, however though i talk to everyone, i gel and connect with 1 or 2 and am happy about that.

I prefer quality over quantity any day, 1 or 2 wonderful friend with whom i can be myself and they can be themselves without the fear of being judged matters a lot to me.
    Talking anything under the sun should not be an issue and every time i talk to my friends i learn something new and feel refreshed.

Sorry for the long post dear @anika987

Regards
    Nandini

Mehana, anika987 and Thyagarajan like this.