Puratassi prayer & fasting

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Neesha, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Neesha

Neesha Senior IL'ite

Hi
    In South Africa during the tamil month of Purtassi most tamils keep a one month veg fast, observing Saturdays with prayer and a big prayer to culminate the period. It's dedicated to Lord Vishnu or Venketesa. When the main prayer is done namo is put on the foreheads, maa vilku is made and we shout Govinda Govinda.
    People say that we only do this in South africa and this is not observed in Tamil Nadu. I'm interested to know what people in India esp Tamil Nadu observe or know about the significance of Puratassi.
    However I must add that to me no prayer is wasted and this is a peaceful time where more effort is made to become closer to God. In South Africa most families are not vegetarian and at least during this month many people follow a vegetarian diet, alcohol is given up and the familiy enjoys this peaceful period. Given our violent country the atmosphere to is given good vibrations.
    To those keeping the Purtassi fast I wish you well and may God's blessings be with you and your family.
    Neesha

2. yamusarna

yamusarna Silver IL'ite

Re: Puratassi prayer

Hi Neesha,

I live with my husband in Finland and we too observe the Purataasi month fast. On saturdays, I prepare food and maa vilakku on one saturday and offer it to GOD.
    I remember that in our village, every saturday samll boys will go from door to door, and ask for rice, calling out Govinda Govinda. They would bring back the rice, and we used to cook it. Also, on one saturday we used to arrange feast for the whole village.

I miss, all that here in Finland.

Yamuna.

3. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Neesha,

Nice post. I have not noticed this Forum. I am busy with Misc. forum and wishes.
    After receiving your PM I checked your postings and sending this mail.

In Tamil Nadu they celeberate this in a very big manner. I am a life member in Venkateswara Bhatha Samajam' and they celeberate this Puratasi Festival very well and ina very big manner. From our place they will go a 'padha yathra' to thirumalai and my father and brothers used to go like that. Before that they celebrate 10 - 15 days as a grand festival, by keeping some 'katha kalachebam' and 'kalyana ursavam' for Lord Venkatesvara and on Saturday they offer poor feeding and a very big feast. Almost the month fully we will do and hear good things. We celeberate the whole 'holy month' like anything and we feel that place itself like 'boologa vikuntam' really I miss all those things here in SA, yes Saudi Arabia.

They print invitation cards like our wedding cards for Lord Venketaswars's 'kalayana ursavam' also. Let me try to send the card for this year if I can.

As she said, I too remember in our town small boys will come on Saturdays to get rice and cash. They will shout 'Govinda Govinda' and in our house we put 'Maa valaku' on 3rd Saturday and celeberate that as a feast with friends and relatives.:-D