1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pulse Polio vaccination onJan 10

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Vinu4me, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Dear All,

My DD is due for her 15th month vaccination on Jan 19/20. She will be getting polio vaccination too. The pulse polio vaccination is on Jan 10. I chked with my Pedi. She says it is not reqd to get the Pulse polio as my daughter will get her Vaccination within a couple of days.

I am confused, as everyone in my family say that I have to get Pulse Polio even if they are a day away from each other.

Please guide me. If I do go ahead and get the Pulse polio done do I have to inform my Pedi that we got it done?

Regards,
    P

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

I do not do pulse polio - I look at it as medicine taken away from one child who cant afford it otherwise. I am up to date on his polio vaccination and dont feel the need to duplicate vaccines.

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

P - If I were you I would do the drops on pulse polio Day. The 15th month vaccination is MMR not polio. The next time she gets OPV will be at 18 months (assuming you are on the usual schedule here).

Krithi - One of the points of having a pulse program (apart from individual immunization) is this theory that if all the kids below 5 (who are the main carriers of the polio virus) in an area get the OPV on one day then the vaccine virus will replace the wild virus that is uusually present and we can thereby drive out the wild virus from existence (like smallpox). This theory has its detractors but my take is, if at all it is true then for it to work we all have to do it whether are kids are already immunized or not. In TN anyway most kids are already immunized but the pulse program still runs. Its of course your decision to go with it or not.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_Polio summarizes what I am trying to say.

V.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Thanks for posting the link Vanathi. I reading up more on the polio vaccine now. I did not quite get the way mass polio vaccination worked. I did talk to DH about it, we are both looking at our own sets of literature. I am not sure he will agree given that most docs we know say it is not necessary. But nonetheless, thanks for giving me a new perspective.

5. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Seeing this thread late. I did speak to couple of Paeds and all of them said it is not necessary as DD will be getting it this month end.
    Anyway, the date is past, I guess.