Pros and cons of the Indian education system

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by jacintha, Jan 28, 2008.

1. jacintha

jacintha New IL'ite

hi iltes i have started this thread for us to discuss about our educational system. You can come up with all your ideas or problems tht are existing in our system and some of your ideas , like what are chenges can be done and so on.

Hope u will all actively participate in this, Believe me this is going to be a wonderful topic.

the iltes who were settled down in abroad or students who have pursued their higher studies in other countries may have a good knowledge in this.

so go ahead.

2. Jaynat

Jaynat New IL'ite

Hi Jacintha,

Ya it is good to analyse what is the difference between our educational system and the educational system that is present abroad. So here is my penny's worth in the POT!!!

I would not say we are lacking in anything considering the fact that i find the International Syllabus and curriculum sadly lacking in so many things. One good thing in International curriculum is the children are made to think on their own right from kindergarten. They are given various activities where in they have to use their minds and their coordination skills. Also whatever is taught to them is done in the form of practical activities. Which is not to be found in our system. Ours is more bookish and children although study various subjects and cover so many topics in depth, they still do not have any practical exposure.

So more than the syllabus what needs to be changed is the way the syllabus is approached and the way it is taught. Teaching rather than being monotonous and bookish should involve more practical activities which makes it more interesting and also enables the children to develop thinking and analytical skills.

But i should say so many new schools which have come up are defenitly incorporating all this into their system and doing a real neat job though charging big money for the same. But still a long way to go as only a very selective group are able to procure admissions in such elite schools which try to incorporate western trends and provide progressive education. Hence this change should be brought about in each and every school so that it can benefit all the children.

cheers
    Jay.:coffee

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  3. Jyothisri

Jyothisri Bronze IL'ite

Folks,

I just read a very interesting article written in the Times of India by Chetan Bhagat on the current situation of the system of education in India. I wanted to share it with you all. Here is the link. And below is an excerpt from the article.

There are two main problems: one, the supply of good college seats and, two, the actual course content and intent behind education.

The first issue is about the supply of A-grade institutions vs the number of A-grade potential students. With one crore students taking the class XII exam each year, the top 10 per cent, the high potential population by any global standard, deserves a world-class institution. That means we need 10 lakh good, A-grade, branded college seats per year. Either the government provides them, or they work with private participants to make it happen. Until that is done, the scramble for seats will be worse than a peak hour Virar fast. No amount of well-meant advice to parents to go easy on kids, telling children to not take stress, will work. I’m sorry, if i have a child who i think is bright, i will fight to make sure he has a good college. If the number of seats is well below the required number, the fight is going to be bloody and ugly. And that is what happens every year.

I am not saying we study only to get a job (though many, many Indians actually do it with that main intention). However, even in the ‘quest for knowledge’ goal of education, our course materials fall short. We emphasise sticking to the course, testing endlessly how well the student has revised his lessons. We treat lessons as rules to be adhered to, and the better you conform, the more likely you are to score. I hated it personally, and i am sure millions do too but they have no choice. Innovation, imagination and creativity – crucial for the country as well as more likely to bring the best out of any student – have no place in our education system. In fact, we actually ensure we kill this spirit in the child as fast as possible. Because innovation by definition means challenging the existing way, and that is just not something good Indian kids who respect elders do.

4. pramiprecious

pramiprecious New IL'ite

Both are good. We just have to make the best of what we have.