1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Proof of the pudding!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Srama
    I wrote this thread over four years back when remaining stationary was the best insurance against getting involved in any accident. But since then, things have changed a lot. More people are dying in accidents now when they are waiting for their green signal and getting knocked down by drivers who are 'signal blind'. So even this marvel of a car that I wrote about would be hardly proof against any accidents if everyone else kept moving like crazy! Even walking in platforms has become hazardous because some drivers use them if they find the roads clogged!

The tale of the two Bharatanatyam dancers is interesting indeed. Playing by the rule book and playing for the gallery can both be entertaining only if the desired result is achieved. As you have rightly pointed out, if they combine to strike a symbiotic relationship, it could be a divine experience. I suppose this is true of even couples!

Coming to the menace of these 'reverse horns' as they are called here, I can't agree with you more. They come in such hideous tunes and rhythms and they are so noisy too. The worst part is that those who have fixed the noisiest reverse horns take the maximum possible time to reverse their cars into their allotted slots! And they are the ones who return home well beyond midnight! I pity those young parents who cajole their infants into semblance of sleeping after hours of struggle find their kids awakened by these hideous reverse horns and they start all over again the process, shedding silent tears of frustration!
    Sri

2. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri Uncle,

I agree with your view. I belong to "value for money" category. I was also arguing with my hubby when he went in for Petrol car to replace his diesel car, about all aspects of the car. I was in the view if we are able to travel in the vehicle to the destination is fine. Didn't not give much importance to anything else. But by listening him and observing his analyses about cars injected me some knowledge about cars, like looking for ground clearance, torque etc. Then decided on a nice car and having it for last 4 years. Thank God! he bought that sturdy one (Carolla), it survived and saved my hubby from a very bad accident at the radial road. Both the front and back of the car was smashed, it was by God's Grace my hubby didn't have even a single scratch. Though my hubby was a good driver his car was hit at the back by a (lorry)driver who was in inebriated state, in the force the car hit the back of another lorry in front. Only after this I realized how important to analyse all aspects of the car.

Before this accident I learnt driving but settled for second hand Wagon R for its view-ability and its so convenient to maneuver in the city traffic. I thank my husband for this whenever I drive. But for his insistence I would not have learnt driving. He has fitted all necessary (that is what he feels) gadgets in his, whereas I won't even change the FM station when I am driving.

Regards
    Manjukps

3. Cheeniya

Dear Manju
    God be praised! To escape unscathed, without a scratch as you say, from such a nasty car accident is a reminder again that His watchful and benevolent eyes guide and protect us all the time. It is also true that certain cars are built to protect us from such accidents. If any one asks me what car to buy, I'll unhesitatingly recommend Corolla after hearing of this incident.

Wagon R is a good utility vehicle but I do not like its name. It reminds me of the rust coloured railway goods wagons. With a 'R' tagging it, it also reminds me of an Anglo-Indian classmate of mine who had a similar name. In his case, R stood for Robert but I really do not know what the R represents in the case of this vehicle from the Maruti stable. You are right about its maneuverability in the city traffic. I would say it is even easier on the hands than an auto-rickshaw!
    Sri

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

You post brought up a very good subject of perfection Vs performance. A good car could look excellent with all the gadgets possibly one could get and fit the family perfectly. But still people ask how much mileage we could get out of it, does it have ABS, how many crash bars are inside of it and how many airbags are located. Even in cricket, people pay money to see the performance of the cricketers. They pay money to see Sehwag and Tendulkar to be hitting sixes and fours and to see how they destroy the bowlers. They do not come to see the defending ability of Rahul Dravid (even though he is considered most technically sound batsman in the world).

Even in our day to day life, how much perfect we could be? When we think practically, if we need to live a normal life, we need performance as opposed to perfection. I am not suggesting perfection should be neglected or eliminated. But obsession to perfection sometimes causes considerable amount of pain to fellow family members. My father taught me to keep the places at the same place every time so that I need not have to search for it. I am 57 years old and I am still following it regularly. I never struggle to find my glasses, my wallet, my car keys, etc. when I have to leave some place quickly. At the same time, if for some emergency, I keep the key in a different place to attend to something else quickly, I struggle and the amount of disturbance in my mind is enormous until I find that back. I curse myself and talk so much about the need to be perfect. Whereas my son keeps things at different places each time and he is very cool about finding it. He appears to like challenges. He has a mental note of whatever he needs when he leaves for the University and find them systematically wherever they are located. He is never disturbed. It looks like we need to strike a balance between the two. It is a good idea to keep things in the same place every single time but if it is not found in that place, there is no point in sweating so much and increasing our blood pressure. Especially, if it is something we all use in the family (TV remote or cordless phone), I expect that to be found in a particular place and if it was not found, it would be a bad scene. After we find them, I used to feel bad for something as simple as that, does it make sense to lose our cool and disturb the harmony in our family? I have learned it is much more important to be nice to my wife and son rather than worrying about not finding the TV remote or cordless phone.

I am now convinced that I can compromise not to be a perfectionist to be in harmony with the family.

Viswa

5. Cheeniya

Dear Viswa
    Being a Freemason, I have been taught that 'perfection is not given to man'. Winston Churchill spoke of perfection derisively thus:'The maxim, "Nothing prevails but perfection," may be spelled PARALYSIS'! The perfect car I had outlined fits into Churchill's definition nicely. People who aim at perfection achieve nothing eventually. Many people confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence can be achieved through sheer endeavor but perfection is God's business.

We have a member in IL who is totally obsessed with perfection and punishes himself when he is short of it. By punishing himself, he punishes us too by denying us his priceless gems. Perfectionists are usually an unhappy lot. And so are all those who chase elusive rainbows.

I am in your son's mould. Give me a mess and ask me to retrieve something from it. I never take more than ten seconds to accomplish it. But I am always at a loss in a highly organised place!
    Sri

6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

Since two days I am trying to post here but not getting the proper words to write. I dont know much about cars. I wanted to write about perfection. Like Viswa said that I can find things if they are neatly arranged. When I have to go somewhere if I have to take something along with me I keep it near by handbag so that I wont forget to take it. I try to keep everything in order but my dh will say since you tried to arrange it thats why I am not able to find it. My son also when he was young used to tell me not to arrange his things . I think youngsters are more confident that they will find their things easily. If I am going anywhere out of Bombay before 3 or 4 days only I keep everything ready but my son will do it int he last moment only. He does not worry about it also , he goes out more than me.

7. Cheeniya

My dear Viji
    I am not going to give a detailed reply to your FB because this is one of my 'forgettable' ramblings which I was hoping would lie buried deep in the archives. Now you have revived it! This is a great irony that my rambling about perfection is far from perfection!
    In real life, I am not a very meticulous chap and unless things are in a mess, I can't find my way! If ever my things get arranged neatly, I feel lost and I can't find my way. Some people are made that way but there will surely be a method in our madness!
    Sri

8. PriyaKathiravan

PriyaKathiravan Silver IL'ite

Sir,

Being a member of the two wheeler league, I cannot say much about cars ( except a small passing irritant as to why , if their product is all so superlative, do some car brands still rely on a skin show by females to sell them ).

While reading this, I somehow thought of Handbags , illogical though it may be. Just the other day, I was browsing through a glossy magazine and found out that some high fashion branded Handbags commanded prices in five digits ! I just couldnt figure out why a bag should cost so much ; more bemused was I seeing the photos of the pricey "beauties" . They looked like....well, bags ! ( You may not believe me, but a couple of them looked just like jute sacks. And an item called a "tote" was just a dressed up "manjal-nira-pai " that our small towners never leave home without.)
    After making a thorough study of the details kindly presented by the mag, I understood that the price was for the sterling silver handles plated in gold, for the ziorcon studded charms appended to the zip and for the handstitched logo. "Performance" ? Those bags were of the same size and shape as my 200-rupee canvas and rexine bag, and shown holding pretty much the same things I carry .

Thudappa kattaikku pattu kunjalam vacchu ambalatthuleyum yetthi vidraanga , kondaaduravangalum kondaaduraanga . Namakkuthaan, onnumey puriyale ulagathuley !

9. Cheeniya

Dear Priya
    Your Chandrababu style last line touched my heart! Remember him? That was his block buster song years back which continues to be rendered on stage by the music troupes. This line typifies the utter state of confusion in which we all live!

Coming to the 'manjal colour pai', it was an inseparable companion of my dad throughout his life and my mum kept it as a memoir for a long time after his death. You might have noticed that I called it as 'manjal colour pai' and not as 'manjal nira pai' as you have done. This is the English-Tamil mixture is used by the middle class families even today. 'Full kai shirt' is a classic example. Only the elite call it as full sleeves.

Coming back to cars, most of the features highlighted in the ads are Greek and Latin to me. Some ads even bring to our notice how a particular brand compares with similarly prized ones in respect of such vital parameters as 'torque'! Fridge and washing machines lead the field in fooling the gullible consumer. A friend of mine who is a great fan of Kajol buys all the products that she endorses!
    Sri

1 person likes this.