1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Promoted!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Jan 17, 2012.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Laksman and Sourav worked as assistant managers in one of the largest software companies that had a gross turnover of several millions. Both were rated good in the appraisal and reported to the same boss, Sethu. Known to be very tough and impartial, he had the last say in a discussion which was well researched and accepted.

Even he was in a confusion to see who among these two, would fit the manager role, which was about to open up shortly because of the retirement of the present one. He called the customers whom these two handled and they all gave a good feedback. Then he talked to a chosen few subordinates, who also voiced good feedback. Then he decided to take a decision, spoke to his bosses and got it approved.

According to it, he would promote them both to be managers, but would elevate one of those to have more perks and visibility, after two months. He told them that, and they accepted. He also made arrangements for people to fill their posts, as they themselves were getting promoted. The trial period started.

After two months, Lakshman was elevated to be senior with added perks. The irritated Sourav went to Sethu's cabin and demanded the explanation. "Sit down Sourav!", Sethu said and explained thus - "Both of you are filling in the role quite nicely, but, when it came to doing the knowledge transfer to the guys who filled your shoes, Lakshman excelled. Having similar profiles, it took a few days for his next, to be independent and operational whereas, yours is still looking for you, whenever there are issues. Any more explanation required?".

Sourav admitted and went to congratulate Lakshman.

2. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

Good one RGS!! Well said!! Knowledge sharing helps in mutual growth..
    Practical example is IndusLadies!!

3. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

'Knowledge Sharing is Knowlede Gaining'

4. rgsrinivasan

Glad to receive your feedback after a long time Nihasvin. And happy to see that its nice as always. Thanks. -rgs

5. rgsrinivasan

Though this post doesn't contain the "ah!" moment, yet I thought I should go ahead and write it, just for the sake of stressing that important quality. Thanks Nihasvin, for spotting that. -rgs

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Thank you for this nice blog. A good leader always will surround himself with talented individuals, train them to excel and even make himself redundant so that someone could fill his shoes.

Viswa

7. rgsrinivasan

Exactly! Thats the point I wanted to make Viswamitra. Thanks for your nice feedback. I wonder thus - it takes 20+ lines for me to write a post. Such feedbacks are just tweets, that cover the essence of what I try to say. I need to learn, to trim even more. -rgs

8. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai RGS,

Better to share the experience in particular field will surely help others to improvise
    more

9. rgsrinivasan

It also helps us to revise things Sreema. Thanks for your nice feedback. -rgs