1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Profundity is the name of the game!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Malathi
    I normally get into my philosophical mood whenever I have a stupid or silly statement to make! People get diverted by my philosophical look and give my stupid observations some serious thought!
    I remember Vivek doing it successfully in a movie that came last yesr. I forget the name of the movie but remember the hilarious situations!
    Sri

2. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

That was a good one......and i for one is the mandu who listens seriously when someone puts on that Intelligent, grave look and asks those pertinent questions or give those too good to be true arguments! Well it is all in the body language and the way one potrays her or himself i guess!

I have seen this at home .....since i happen to be the mandu(or at least people around me take me for one!?) my hubby always poses all these questions, answers, arguments.....can be anything , but in a Grave manner with All the necessary Powerful, Dominant(arrogant? maybe) pose and i am battered , shattered etc etc...and put my thinking cap........and only when i recover from this Intellectual onslaught quickly can i Catch Him at his Own arguments,, or questions which then turn out to be not so Intelligent! Of course then he conveniently disappears before i try to Pose with my Intellectual blah blah's! bonk

So one should be know when and how to be be Profound!Maybe should learn from our resident NM/ small C! Now that deepavali is over, seems to be a UNNATURALLY QUIET! is it the CALM BEFORE THE STORM! :whistle

3. Cheeniya

Dear Sudha
    If you can perfect the art of putting on that 'intellectual and grave look' whenever needed, then you can have people eating out of your hand irrespective of you have anything to say or not! This is the ultimate truth of How to be successful though stupid!
    Is that hammering your own head your way of posing with your intellectual blah blah's? If so, I suggest that you look for a more suitable smiley!
    You are right about our resident NM! She can put you wise in all these matters!
    Sri

4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniyasir,

It is not easy to reply to a profoundly philosophical post like this. So, I am just going to go inane in reply to your profound.

I guess the practice of leaving open ended questions on the laps of the viewers stems from the very basics of philosophy. That the philosopher does not try to think for the listener/reader, but stimulates them to ponder on the profound. Very Nozick as compared to very Chomsky. In Mallu films by Adoor Gopalakrshnan, which are made for the 'thinking' audience, this phenomenon is too evident. The end is usually a lizard creeping on the wall, the heroine watching TV, an old man scratching himself. Adoor explains that these are open ended endings left for the viewer to discern.

But as far as inane questions and body language go- nothing gets better than this. George Bush in a half sleeved polo shirt and slacks talking to a crowd of moms who have sons in Iraq or have lost sons in Iraq. And Georgie draws in a deep contemplative breath, looks deep into the eyes of the crowd and asks,' What are our boys doing in Iraq?'

Try answering that one and I guess the others will be easy.

You get better with each post. Looking ahead to more.

regards
    Vidya

5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear TDU,

Sorry to butt in between you and Cheeniya sir. I saw the thread 'Ever Wonder' only now, maybe I missed it in the heavy traffic. I found all the questions interesting and some led to serious thinking.

I am not sure if it is fair to say that ILites are indifferent to your posts. I ran a check on all threads started by you. I find that the number of views and replies are good. One of your first threads, Guruji and Me has 60 replies. And your 'Games for all ilites' runs to 501 pages of replies with about 5003 replies. Your meaningful thread on breast cancer support also has many replies and more views.

Cheeniyasir, sorry for poaching your space.

regards
    Vidya

6. Cheeniya

Dear Vidya
    Nozick is or was more of my mould than Chomsky but I must confess that I am not quite well-acquainted with the works of the latter.There is a school of thought which considers all questions as profound. They dont dismiss anything as trivia. The question mark is the divine form of all wisdom according to them. In the ancient universities, there was a system of learning through which a man was encouraged to go to the root of everything by asking a series of 'Then what happens?'(Kah: kim)
    Adoor is the quintessence of all Mallu Wisdom. What he doesn't know is not worth knowing about (art) film making.
    Your point about Georgie is well made but then you must concede that no other US President had a body more suitable for communication than Georgie. Clinton would be a close second though he hardly used the faculty for political purposes!
    Nice to know that I have been able to sustain your interest in my posts thus far!
    Sri

7. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Le C,
    From a post on “Too small?”, you have reached “profundity” ! Your range is awesome, Sri !

You had always been advising me that I must write my Gita posts, quoting more interesting examples ! Thank God, for once, I did not take your advice seriously !
    On one hand you write
    Even if they don’t, he will still stuff them into his talk so that he can continue to ride the crest of his popularity.
    But you also mention
    Such humourless speeches would be like listening to Jesudoss with a severe sore throat!
    So, my next contemplation will be, what is right at all, according to you!

Five star has its own charm & taste, nuts or not ! Can any pleasure be compared to the chocolate getting stuck like trisangu in the mouth? So also, the juicy humour of the inhouse-exponents !

Did your wife have to come & tell you that I slipped on a banana peel ? She will have it from me, the next time we go out together !

BTW, what is the need for you to justify the name of your sub-forum?
    Love,
    La C.

8. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Amma Naradhi,
    You seem to have done a profound research on your friend's post - real patience, you have.
    You talk about koza koza vendakkai - he replies in the five-star chocolate language. Be warned from this, that he has joined my side, leaving you in the lurch ! He is an ardent chocolate-lover.
    For your information he has given lectures on Gita, which I have attended. How profound his talks were, is beyond the scope of this post !
    I forewarn you, do not fall in your own trap.
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

என்ன தான் நாரதர் அனாலும்
    நான் வந்து நல்ல மாதிரி பதில்
    எயுதி இருந்தேன்
    நீங்க என்ன வென்று சொல
    பிவே ஸ்டார் சொச்லடேஸ்
    வித் நுட்ஸ் அண்ட் பிருஇத்ஸ்
    என்று புட்டு புட்டு வசிடீங்க
    என்ன சுநீங்க அந்த லைன்
    ..சாக்லேட் இன்சிடே தி மௌத்
    நாட் க்நோவிங் வ்தேதேர் இட்ஸ்
    கமிங் இன் ஓர் கோஇங் அவுட்
    ஆம்பல் ஆம்பல்
    வர போகுது டம்செல் டம்செல்
    என்ன ஆகும் சுல்லுங்க
    ஓடல் ஓடல் :tongue

10. Cheeniya

Dear TDU
    I just visited your thread 'Ever wonder?' and agree that most of the questions that you had raised in your post are in agreement with the topic of my thread. Fortunately, it is sheer coincidence that the questions that I have raised in my thread are not a repetition of your questions!
    Sri