1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Preparing For High School Education In Usa

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by WINMEENA, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I think we need a new undergrad thread and all relevant posts there :)

Shanvy likes this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Laks09 he had daad german body visiting their campus. You can get into phd directly in some universitities. The 5 yr msc is enough and ms is not needed.
    That is what we are studying and making note off.

And a classmate of dd did his b.sc physics with few interships and is in a ms phd astrophysics program from bonn.

All study programmes in Germany - DAAD - Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst
    ( just sharing as it could help so others)

But yes as you say i am not convinced about exiting in the 3rd yr. the time mismatch with receiving certificates and things could make it a mess.

And inputs are welcome.. i am just going to pass it on to the young man and let him think and decide.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Maybe. Yes. I kind of hijacked it:disappointed:. Anything for my young man.

4. Laks09

Aiyyo that was not what I intended. Thinking as a way to "find" these a couple of years down the lane when I need it.

SunPa and Shanvy like this.
  5. Laks09

Thanks for sharing. Didn't know about the German option. Is he learning some German? That may help.

Good luck to him, I'm sure whatever he chooses to do, a lot of thought will go into it. I'm seeing my son think before he does something. Keep telling his sis to learn from him.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Laks09 he plans to take german from his uni as addnl certification as it is just 1000 or 2000 per sem while it is costly in the max according to him. And some of these courses don't need german.

But the Homepage: Department of Earth Sciences may sometimes have courses or classes that need understanding of german.
    (Ah! he is on a information gathering along with reasons and pros and cons). And i know what you mean on thinking and deciding. How i wish i could do the same.

I know you did not mean any love, i even told rihana the same. You guys won't mind this, as it is for my young man, knowing his history. I don't want somebody to feel i am diluting the thread. But then this mom is besharam when it comes to her kids..:p

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Laks09 likes this.
  7. Laks09

@Shanvy - I was thinking of German in terms or surviving in Germany. Gosh, it's so hard in that place. My people know French and it was still hard. Germans don't respond in French even if they see you struggle. And English ko toh maro goli.
    I liked rural France better than urban Germany, they make efforts to talk to you in English once they hear your "French". This is just based on travel experiences. I'm sure Uni life is different. I'm glad he is our thinker. He's going to dot all his i's and cross all his t's before doing anything.

Shanvy likes this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Exactly the reason he wants to so german @Laks09. He is ok with french. So german and japanese are in the pipeline.

Laks09 likes this.
  9. Laks09

It's so hard to decide if he wants to eat spaghetti or mac n cheese. I wonder what it will be like deciding between Germany and US :) I don't even want to be there. I don't have the patience for that yet. I better develop that.

Kaha dilute. We now have paleontology to discuss with our high schoolers. My DD's first q is going to be - does it require math? *sigh* After doing all the things myself and doing basics right and fun maths. I want to cry but Kya Kare. Still ploughing on with the hopes that she will learn to love the subject. I'm trying to tell her that there is nothing that doesn't require maths, so you better learn to deal with your aversion.

Shanvy likes this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Harvard withdraws admissions of 10 incoming freshmen.

Harvard withdraws 10 acceptances for ‘offensive’ memes in private group chat
    Daughter of Harvard donor among students who lost admission over offensive memes

A timely opportunity to have a casual conversation with teenagers about the appropriate use of social media. How there is no such thing as a delete on the internet. How small jokes and unfortunate remarks can come back to haunt years later. That doesn't mean they have to clam up and be very non-expressive on social media, but apply a few rules of thumb before 'submit'. A basic one being - what if the remark or picture became public. Would it mean only embarrassment that passes in a week or something more harmful.

Even comments in a private, closed FB group related to a school course or activity, a hurtful remark about the teacher, an assignment, the school, the principal, classmates, or a hot current event, can cause trouble. It is actually not very difficult to be careful. Doesn't mean a totally cramped style.

About the Harvard case, I am thinking - the kids didn't deserve such harsh consequences. Feel very sorry for them. Very very sorry.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    sindmani likes this.