Preparing And Storing Veggies For Cooking : What Do You Do?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Bubbles, May 9, 2016.

1. Bubbles

Bubbles Silver IL'ite

How do you prep ahead and store veggies for cooking?
    Do you blanch veggies and freeze? Isn't it a time consuming process?
    Can I cut okra the previous night, mix it well with masala and store in glad box overnight in the fridge ?
    Need practical suggestions for beetroot, carrot, green beans as well ...
    Husband is anti-freezing, and I'm wringing my hands in despair..so is there an option to just refrigerate instead of freezing?

(I have searched online and most recommend freezing...hence looking for practical advice here)

2. seekout

seekout Silver IL'ite

I don't know about freezing. You can cut the okra and store them in a box and also prepare the masala/onion tomato bhunao and refrigerate it separately. They can be mixed and subzi can be made in the morning.
    I always cut and keep carrots, okra, cabbage and beans. May be beetroot will also work the same way.
    Although its not preferable to refrigerate cut onions.

3. Bubbles

Bubbles Silver IL'ite

How long do you keep them, @seekout ?

4. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

I have done this in the past when I had time constraints, but don't any more. If you do this, use the water for cooking so you don't discard nutrients.

It should work, except don't use a plastic container.

We always have beetroot, carrot, celery (and whatever else is in season) cut in sticks in the fridge. We like to snack on them.

Why is he anti-freezing? Veggies lose more nutrients refrigerated than frozen.

Sure, you can chop and refrigerate veggies. But you can't store them long. I imagine your cooking schedule is unpredictable with a baby to care for, so just do what's convenient for you. Once things get saner and your life is less hectic, you can go the fresh route (store to stove to table).

With good reason. :)

-

shobhamma and Bubbles like this.
  5. seekout

seekout Silver IL'ite

I store them for a week in airtight box.

6. Bubbles

Bubbles Silver IL'ite

Thank you @seekout and @Amica. @Amica, your last line made me go lol..
    H.wants me to eat freshly prepared food only, but I find it impractical to cook from scratch everyday given my unpredictable schedule (you got it right there!) He wouldn't notice the precut veggies (I'm hoping) but freezing is no-no. And can't be reasoned out (else I'd be buying frozen veggies already :smilingimp:)
    Natural air purifying bags? :flushed: wow what's that @Male35 ?

Amica likes this.
  7. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

This is exactly right.
    Since you say 'okra' instead of 'bhindi' or 'ladies'-finger' I assume you live in the US. You are perfectly safe in chopping and freezing, in zip-lock bags, most vegetables. Okra is slightly dicey, since it can get a bit soggy when you thaw and cook after freezing, but taste-wise it still comes out well.
    'Fresh' is a relative term unless you are a well informed 'locavore'. Most food in supermarkets is transported across great distances (strawberries from Mexico?!). Harvesting, shipping, chemically induced ripening (sometimes), shopping, followed by a few days in your fridge - nothing is truly fresh, unless you are a devotee of the farmers' markets.
    Fresh-frozen is often better, for vegetables. The time to worry about 'fresh' v 'non-fresh' is when processing, preservatives and additives are involved.

Bubbles and Amica like this.
  8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Frozen vegetables are usually picked in the right season and flash frozen, so there is minimal loss of nutrients. I buy whatever I can frozen: french-cut green beans, peas, mixed vegetables, peas and carrots mix and so on. Freezing at home will not give as good results.
    You can cut beetroot,carrots, beans, okra, potato (store in water), onions and garlic (store in tightly covered container), sweet potato, cabbage, cauliflower the previous day and keep in the fridge.
    But don't try freezing at home. The commercial versions are superior for quality and nutrition. With a baby, keep your life simple and make friends with the frozen aisle.

Vaikuntha likes this.
  9. Gaiya3

Gaiya3 Gold IL'ite

I use frozen carrots, peas, beans, corn etc. Veggies usually I cut the night before and I try to trim the ends for some time consuming ones like beans/bhindi ahead and cut it just before cooking. I freeze ash gourd/pumpkin/spinach etc if I don't use them as soon as I buy them.

10. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

Good question and good replies specially from @Amica

I have lived in Africa and have frozen our own vegetables , meat, fish, and a whole lot of snacks and many other items for up to 6 months! Freezer was our lifeline!

It depends on what kind of freezer you have. It has to be a 5 star and fit for fast freezing.

But that is beside the point. without freezing you should keep cut things in air tight boxes . The leafy ones should be wrapped in paper and then in a plastic bag. . but still they will not stay for long - not more than 2-3 days.

All vegetables can be cut a day before and kept in the fridge.

If your husband does not like frozen food, involve him in cutting fresh one. Liberate him too !

Bubbles, Amica and seekout like this.