Pregnant and going to temple

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by MrsV, Apr 16, 2009.

1. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

Is it true that pregnant women are not allowed to go into the temple after the 7th month? My friend who is about 8 months pregnant wanted to keep Vishukanni and her MIL told her not to do it because you have keep the kanni in front of your temple!! Now she has been lighting the lamp everyday, and now she is beyond worried!!! I asked my parents and my mom said that she heard of it but forgot all about it.

Please help!!

2. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi mrs.V,From what i have heard,pregnant ladies can do everyday puja at home.But after 7-8 month,not allowed to go to temple for the fear of getting delivered there.

3. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

Hi V!!
    I agree with supriya, They say we should not go to temple because of the Fear that they would get labor there at the temple.

But lighting lamp in the house is not a problem. This is all one's own faith. If your friend want to pray to god and if that would keep her mind calm and happy, then i would say no one should stop her from that..:)

take care.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  4. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

Ok that's understandable. My poor friend, we were all supposed to go to her place to see the kanni because we didn't do anything and she called me all frantic. I felt so bad!

This is what happens when people don't really know the real significance blurts out things to create paranoia. Thank you ladies! :thumbsup

5. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Hi, this is just my opinion, but I think this practice stems from the fact that the water could break, or the woman could go into labor early, rendering the temple premises "ashuddham" or impure. I remember in Kerala (maybe in other places too) if there has been a delivery (also if there is death in a family) people in that family and close relatives cannot go to the temple for a certain period of time (eg: 10 days). My personal belief is this could be sort of a "quarantine" and to avoid any infection etc.

If your friend is in good health, she can go to the temple if she chooses. Ther should be absolutely no problem lighting a lamp or keeping vishu kani.

For the record, I delivered 3 months back at 38 weeks. On the day of my delivery, I went to the temple, since we had scheduled a c/section a week later, after that we did some shopping and at night I got my contractions and I delivered close to midnight.

It is all what you believe.

6. srub4

srub4 New IL'ite

Hello I can understand about the risk about having labor at any time. But that "impure" things beat me. How can the "water" or "baby" be impure? The temple is supposed to represent an ocean of purity. We are supposed to be "impure" drops. So how can an "impure" drop affect the purity of the whole ocean. I personally think that a temple is not a bad place to give birth at all coz that will bestow immense blessings on the newborn.
    The real reason is that priests do not want temples to turn into a nursery for all the homeless pregnant females in India and some patriarchal rant implying females to be dirty or whatever nonsense again.[​IMG]