Pregnancy an emotional roller coaster ride:overwhelming at times and scary too

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by AnshuSinha, Mar 9, 2009.

1. AnshuSinha

AnshuSinha Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I am 10th week of my pregnancy and it has been an emotional roller coaster ride till now.Was overwhelming for a moment:cheers and the other moment spotting and light vaginal bleeding was too scary.But I have faith in my god that I and my baby will be protected.

Lot of queries in mind and have been confused by so many different suggestions:

1. I had little spotting and have been advised rest but after asking repeatedly,doctor hasn't advised me not to eat anything in particular.

My mom told me long back,to have 2 eggs daily to support a healthy pregnancy.At the same time,she tells me sometimes to avoid much of Ginger/Garlic (someone advised her) as it can be hot for the baby and the pregnant lady should not have hot things like lot of hot spices etc.
    On the other hand,my MIL tells me not to have egg as eggs can be hot and harm the baby.

I am so confused about the consumption of eggs as I like eggs.I like chicken too but due to the advised rest,I am irregular to kitchen & superstores and can't have homemade chicken.So sometimes I order when I crave a lot and then re-cook at home to avoid any kind of half cooked chicken.

2. At home I take care that egg is hard boiled but unknowingly I had bit of mayonnaise sauce yesterday.While going through one of the sites,I found out that:
    "To avoid the risk of salmonella, which causes a type of serious food poisoning, raw or partially cooked eggs or foods e.g. Caesar dressing, mayonnaise containing these should be avoided. "

I am kind of disturbed with this.

Can someone share if any such experiences and advise.

2. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Anshu,

Regarding the eggs, it depends on you. For some eggs might agree and it won't for some. I used to get heat boils every time I had an egg - so I have avoided eggs completely. If it agrees with you, go ahead. The "heat effect" on the body will happen only if you consume loads. But then whatever food we take, it is good to remember that moderation is the key. So just go with what suits your body. As for chicken, I have no idea as I am an "eggitarian". My SIL had eggs and chicken throughout her pregnancy and both she and the baby are fine. As for mayonnaise, don't worry about what little you have consumed already. Just take care about what you eat in future. Hope you have a great time during your pregnancy. Take care. :)

Regards,
    Anitha

3. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

Dear Anshu,

I am 24 weeks pregnant and a 1st time expectant mom. I include eggs regularly in my diet - mainly because it is protein and another thing is I never felt nausea when I had eggs.. and ofcourse because i like eggs.

I used to avoid food like Pineapple, pappaya, High-mercury content fish which the doctor and everyone else advice to avoid. Also, I cut down caffeine consumption and limited the intake to 2 cups of tea daily.

If i was doubtful about any particular food, I would google it or look for inputs from other ladies in sites like babycenter.com.

Since the nausea is gone now, I pretty much eat everything - eggs, chicken, dosa, idli, rice, sweets, coke and tea-coffee in moderation etc. I just avoid the stuff that fall in the 'Strictly NO' list.

I feel you are being very cautious and worried about eating the right things. Being pregnant myself, I too have my mood swings and anxieties. Whenever I feel too anxious about anything I try to think that "Nature has its special way to nurture and protect the new life in the womb and support the process of bringing a new born to the world."

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  4. AnshuSinha

AnshuSinha Senior IL'ite

Thank you so much ladies!

I will try to keep in mind about the items which are a complete no-no......will continue with egg in moderation as I like it...