Pre-wedding Photo Shoots - Charming Or Corny?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Just a light thread. What do you think of pre-wedding photo shoots?

A pre-wedding photo takes place three to six months before the wedding and consists of mostly romantic photographs of the couple. Some photos are carefully casual and some are very staged.

prewee1.jpg prewee2.jpg

beautifullife30 and deepthyanoop like this.

2. Rihana

My introduction to the concept was embarrassing. Someone posted photos from a pre-wedding photo shoot and I mistook that for engagement ceremony photos. I was educated that the engagement photos were different (surprise proposal and all that). The pre-wedding photos are usually taken after the wedding date is fixed, and are often done by the photographer who will also do the wedding photos.

I read that the main aim of the pre-wedding shoot is to get used to being in front of a camera and build rapport with the photographer. OK. : )

My personal take on the concept is that it can be charming. If the photos are casual in nature, like in regular clothes, and what is called "candid" photos, they can look charming. Honestly, I find the staged romantic photos a bit weird. It makes the couple, often the woman, happy, so I am happy for them, but I do cringe when I see the photos. Having to click Like on them is quite hard to do. : )

Maybe I am traditional or old-fashioned in my thinking. I find the romantic photos to be not something to share with so many people. I find it especially weird when my friends, the parents of the couple, share the pictures of the young couple in various romantic poses.

In one photo, the woman was wearing a saree with a narrow pallu :facepalm: and the gold "saree belt." They were sitting on steps of a historic building, and the man was lying on the stair with his head in her lap, gazing up at her eyes, and she gazing down, her hands cupped around his chin. :facepalm::facepalm: It was a moment when I wondered if maybe I've lived too long. :laughing:

deepthyanoop likes this.
  3. Rihana

Here's a short 50 second video that came as a forward in whatsapp and one of the funniest I've ever received as a forward.

The boatman is directing the girl (ammayi) and the boy (abbayi) on how to do the pose and twirl. Even without understanding Telugu it is hilarious.

4. deepthyanoop

deepthyanoop Gold IL'ite

Yes, some are ultimate cheesy for me. It’s trending now. I also read some hilarious stories associated with pre wedding photography like the one you shared above . But came across through some beautiful photos too. Sharing some found in a public domain.

Attached Files:

Rihana likes this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

It depends on person to person.For me it is very cheesy.Everyone wants to feel like hero and heroine.Nothing wrong but how many times are they going to see that video? It is more of a FOMO.

Ultimately what matters is not the pre wedding shoots or grand weddings..but making sure the person we plan to spend to rest of the life is compatible.rest do not even matter.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    curlytweethere and Rihana like this.
  6. deepthyanoop

deepthyanoop Gold IL'ite

Rihana,
    I know you are talking about pre wedding photos. But I really want to share this here. Hope it’s ok. A YouTube link of a Kerala bride drumming on her wedding day. She was learning it since childhood from her father who is a professional drummer and wanted to give her bridegroom a surprise. Watch it. It’s really beautiful :) I feel if there is a personal story and passion behind these photos and videos, it makes it more beautiful and heartwarming !

Rihana likes this.
  7. Rihana

Yes ... that is the thing - they try to look like hero and heroine.. It is the "filmi" nature of the photos that is off-putting. How many times they are going to see the photos or video is a good question. I attended a wedding, thankfully through Zoom only. After the wedding rituals, the groom and bride disappeared outside for outdoor pictures. All guests hungry, it is past 3 pm, but bride changing into multiple dresses for the pictures. I also read there is a thing like "post wedding shoot" : )

: ) That wisdom comes after some anniversaries... on the wedding day, most brides will fuss and worry about their make-up, looks, who chose the saree, and how good is the photographer.

anika987 likes this.
  8. Rihana

The one of them sitting on the stairs is so lovely. The woman is resting her chin in her palms is just so natural. She looks happy inside out and I could see there was not much make-up. The other stairs photo, by the water, is also good. They are holding hands but it looks tasteful. Even their grandma can be shown the photo and she will just have a small comment, nothing major. : ) : )

Oh my, that was so lovely. She plays with such spirit and abandon and pure joy. I am going to forward that in my whatsapp groups. : ) I forward anything very rarely so it becomes a huge event in the group. : ) Maybe I'll forward after folks in India wake up in a few hours. : )

deepthyanoop likes this.
  9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Some of these pictures are cringe, the others are amusing, some are sweet.
    I must say the India of my childhood has come a long way. :thumbup:
    Both my grandmas and even my parents generation would have gone into orbit seeing couples holding hands and more before the wedding.

mbharani and Rihana like this.
  10. Rihana

So true India has come a long way. Like the photos from the photo shoots, I find the weddings also some cringe, some amusing and some sweet. I attended 4-5 Indian weddings (India and U.S.) and some were grand like literally a movie set with billowing fabrics, tall trees, thick red carpet almost kilometer long leading to the dais : ) food served by uniformed and polite professional staff. Even the shamiyana tent looks posh and strong, no holes, and sturdily set up. : ) Then, there were the simple weddings where the guests were less than 50, and less noisy, and the pandit explaining the significance of the rituals, even taking a question or two from the guests & audience. I liked both kinds.

Gone into orbit : ) : ). I think the most modern they got was "let the girl and boy talk in private" and the girl and boy retreat to the terrace or some pseudo-private area often with a suitably placed chaperone. : )

MalStrom likes this.