1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Prayer

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

This weekend was my time to learn more about the prayers and its effect not because I had adversities in my life but because I had sublime mindset to research and find out why is it important, what is the right way and how does it help.

“Great indeed is the efficacy of prayer. It opens the gate of one’s inner temple to let Ahura Mazda in.” ~Zarathustra

“Be constant in prayer, and give charity and worship with the worshipful. And seek help with patience and prayer, though it is indeed hard except for the humble.” – Prophet Mohammed

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God.” – Jesus Christ

When we ask God, we need to rise to His level. Asking God for something is perfectly all right. Words must be said and, the thoughts must correspond to the words. It is true enough that the Divinity knows all. But He requires that true words be said. The mother may know that, to maintain life, the child requires food. But milk is given only when the child asks for it. Some may ask, “How do we know prayers work? He can only give us what, according to Him, we need or what we deserve. Is it not? Will the Lord like to give us all that we ask for, in our prayers to Him? Under such circumstances what is the user of prayer?”

What is prayer all about? Prayer is the subtlest and most sublime thread that links the human soul with the Divine Spirit. It establishes a relationship between the individual and the Infinite Supreme. It is the winged arrow of human feeling that coalesces with the Divine Love of God. All religions expound the glory of prayer. Every saint took recourse to prayer in his spiritual growth. There is no great human upon earth who did not offer prayers at the recognition of the Divine Hand guiding him. To many, however, prayer becomes merely a repetition of hymns or words. Heart-felt sincerity is lacking. Most often, if we are honest enough to admit it, we pray to impress others. Real prayer does not depend upon how many beautiful words we have selected to repeat or whether we have a good accent or not. Prayer depends upon the purity of our feeling and the intensity of our yearning.

Therefore, prayer requires the possession of a feeling that is free from ego, a feeling that is not corrupted or tarnished by greed, anger, hatred, pride and other gross sentiments. It is true that every religion has definite prayers that are revealed by the great sages and saints, encompassing in them lofty ideas and thoughts. However, if you repeat them mechanically without entering into the beauty and grandeur of the meaning and the feeling that are encompassed by those words, we are merely depleting the energy of our speech.

For the acquisition of the Grace of the Lord and the resulting Awareness of the Reality, the quality of peace is the prime need. Every aspirant is aware how Draupadi received the Grace of the Lord, through her righteousness and her piety. Though her husbands were mighty heroes and famous monarchs, she sought refuge in Lord Krishna feeling that all others are of no use. Prahalada sought refuge under different circumstances. He surrendered all at birth to the Lord; he knew that the Lord was ever by his side and that he was ever by the side of his Lord; so he had no need to call out to him for protection. Prahlada was unaware of anything except the Lord; he could not distinguish between one function of the Lord and another. So how could he pray for protection? For all such God-intoxicated and dedicated souls, prayer is unnecessary. But for a majority of people prayer is necessary to keep us on the right path, the path that leads straight to God.

When we pray, it is important to feel that we are hundred per cent dependent on God and He will look after us and save us from harm and injury. When we go to bed, we need to offer thankful homage to Him for guiding and guarding us throughout the day. Activity must be dedicated to God, the highest good. Then it will provide health of body and mind. Whenever and wherever we put ourselves in touch with God, that is the state of meditation. Prayer must be united with practice. We should not pray for one thing and practice another. The words we utter, the deeds we do, the prayers we utter, must all be along the same path. One-pointedness is all-important. Prayer first needs honesty, the acceptance of what one really is, of sincerely acknowledging that one is in need of Divine help.

Whenever I sing devotional songs in my spiritual center, I get carried away by delving into the meaning of the bhajans resulting in me forgetting the next word or even rhythm. Many of the bhajans I sing when I am alone at home for the past 10 years because I know I would be lost leading a bhajan in tears of joy. My favorite prayers to get out of bed and before going to bed are:

“Oh Lord, I am born now from the womb of sleep. I am determined to carry out all tasks this day as offerings to Thee, with Thee ever present before my mind’s eye. Make my words, thoughts, and deeds sacred and pure. Let me not inflict pain on anyone; let no one inflict pain on me. Direct me, guide me, this day.”

“Oh Lord! the tasks of this day, whose burden I placed on you this morning, are over. It was You who made me walk and talk and think and act. I therefore place at Thy Feet all my words, thoughts, and deeds. My task is done. Receive me, I am coming back to you.”

joylokhi, Amica, Kamalji and 5 others like this.

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,

you have wonderfully explained what prayer is and how to go about it.A great snippet worth preserving.

Prayer. A word that means different things to different people. We all know we need it, but then why do so few of us do it? Why does something which is supposed to be so simple end up being so hard? We know the importance of prayer and we could speak endlessly about the priority it should have in our lives…but in practice, we don’t do it!

We don’t need to talk about prayer… or read about prayer… or have prayer meetings. WE NEED TO PRAY – actually pray, like with words…that we say…with our mouths.

There are different kinds of prayer: group prayer, liturgical prayer, contemplative prayer, etc. Those are important and not to be overlooked, . But prayer seems to be the intimate relationship we have with Almighty.It is just like talking to your parents.

But many people who even do community service find it difficult to concentrate on prayer.

very often elders say that one gets mukthi if one is born in Thiruvarur,dies in Kashi. Both are not in our hands.But it is said that we get mukthi even if we think of thiruvannaamalai kshetram- that seems to be really difficult.

What’s the problem here?

The problem isn’t that we don’t know the importance of prayer. .

The problem isn’t that we don’t have time for prayer. That’s a cop out. We make time for what we want. We find time to talk to our spouses and our kids and our neighbors and our Facebook friends and our tweeps on Twitter. Time isn’t the issue.

The problem isn’t that we don’t like to pray. True prayer – the kind that makes your hair stand up – is something that we wish we could experience. If we could somehow push a button and make that kind of prayer happen, we’d do so in a second.

So what’s the problem then?

It is our result oriented mentality.

The problem is that we’ve become trained to doing something and getting instantaneous result.. We don’t like doing something and not seeing results from it.

Just like one expects 'likes' in the electronic media or we want so many likes for what we write, we want God to respond immediately.

Prayer is a relationship. It cannot be forced either on human beings or on God.Many treat God as the wonderful lamp of Allauddin of which a genie will emerge to fulfill whatever you want.

It is not like automatic vending machine to produce things.

Until we stop thinking of the results , any prayer in any form-in sahasranaams or Lakshaarchana may not be construed as prayer at all.

Whenever I think of prayer I am reminded of the following poem"tukra Dho ya pyar karo' by subadra Kumari chauhan-the poem I read in 8th standard.This poem is very close to my heart.

देव! तुम्हारे कई उपासक कई ढंग से आते हैं

सेवा में बहुमूल्य भेंट वे कई रंग की लाते हैं
    धूमधाम से साज-बाज से वे मंदिर में आते हैं
    मुक्तामणि बहुमुल्य वस्तुऐं लाकर तुम्हें चढ़ाते हैं
    मैं ही हूँ गरीबिनी ऐसी जो कुछ साथ नहीं लायी
    फिर भी साहस कर मंदिर में पूजा करने चली आयी
    धूप-दीप-नैवेद्य नहीं है झांकी का श्रृंगार नहीं
    हाय! गले में पहनाने को फूलों का भी हार नहीं
    कैसे करूँ कीर्तन, मेरे स्वर में है माधुर्य नहीं
    मन का भाव प्रकट करने को वाणी में चातुर्य नहीं
    नहीं दान है, नहीं दक्षिणा खाली हाथ चली आयी
    पूजा की विधि नहीं जानती, फिर भी नाथ चली आयी
    पूजा और पुजापा प्रभुवर इसी पुजारिन को समझो
    दान-दक्षिणा और निछावर इसी भिखारिन को समझो
    मैं उनमत्त प्रेम की प्यासी हृदय दिखाने आयी हूँ
    जो कुछ है, वह यही पास है, इसे चढ़ाने आयी हूँ
    चरणों पर अर्पित है, इसको चाहो तो स्वीकार करो
    यह तो वस्तु तुम्हारी ही है ठुकरा दो या प्यार करो
    ( Bhagavan, so many people come to your temple with so many jewels, garlands of various colours.

I am a beggar.i don't have anything to wear.I don't have sweet voice to sing your greatness.neither do I know the shlokas or stotras.I don't have anything to offer you.I have come empty handed.I don't know the method of prayer/worship.

I have only my heart brimming with love towards you.I am offering the same at your steps. It is upto you to accept or reject,)

This is the closeness that is expected of prayer and not any material benefit.This is the sharanagathi what the scriptures speak of.

Viswa,thank you for rewinding my memories.

Jayasala 42

3. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

It is only in some occasions that we weep out of pure joy. Your article is one such.
    The beauty of your words and the divinity behind them, makes me see God through them !

Viswamitra and knbg like this.
  4. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Viswamitra ,

A beautiful write up on Prayers, which I enjoyed.

Religions may be different but structures are the same including the content and quality of prayers.

In my opinion, every prayer has an objective. May be to have peace, to complete a wish, for a better life here on Earth, for a happy life after death, to accept us as the protegee of the Supreme power etc, etc. The contents of a prayer depends on the stage of the inner Self and it changes as we progress in our journeys of life and spiritual life.

But our Sages went a step further in this structure! I simply have no words for admiring our Sages, who found," Samadhi" ie, the eighth stage of 'Rajayoga' in which the devotee merges into the Supreme state of Consciousness, ie, God and has no one to pray to or has nothing to pray for! We even see this stage being temporarily achieved by some extreme devotees in ecstasy who forget what to pray for!!

Great, isn't it?

Thanks for your very informed snippet again.

Viswamitra and knbg like this.
  5. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa Sir,
    Best regards.
    A few days back had two instances to think, wonder and marvel about prayers and it's effectiveness- One was a tragedy in close circle and the other a difficult time at hubby's work. It was so perfectly timed that the tragedy made me feel down and worry and wonder about the efficacy of prayers...which slowly I came to terms with and then followed the second, what seemed to be a very difficult problem got solved amidst many adverse situations....and now I see your post Sir- this is the third time I get clear answers to my doubts through your posts, Thankyou and Thank Almighty.

Thankyou for these beautiful quotes Sir...

I admit, I felt that for sometime immediately after the tragedy-

Felt as if I am in your class, yourself slowly expanding the concept , making sure that we are with you.....Beautiful Sir!

There you go Sir, my answer...In the first instance, I did pray, but had the ego that group prayers would do wonders, we are praying with heart and soul et al and somewhere lost the complete humility which is the pre-requisite for prayer. Whereas in the second instance, I was really helpless and had surrendered to him totally , with the thought that only he can help us- and the true prayer was heard....
    I was clueless about why the events turned out like they did- Now He amde me understand through your clear explanation....a few drops of tears, tears of the joy that I was blessed to learn this today....thanks to you Sir.
    Beautifully put for a naive mind to understand....
    Thankyou very much for this simplified post on something that would intrigue and puzzle many minds.
    Almighty always gives me messages - through some hymns, some quotes or books- and through your posts...Thankyou Sir....

Viswamitra likes this.
  6. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

Beautiful post, beautiful replies.
    Jaysala I also love the poem.
    Thanks Viswa !

Viswamitra likes this.
  7. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Viswamitra sir, wonderful snippet. Thanks for sharing with us.

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa Sir,
    Your post is a discourse for me. I loved it and I loved reading the replies too. As a tamil, when I sing thevaram/thiruvasagam/bajans I get a pure joy as I understand each word. I am not a singer but that process makes me happy. When I sing mantras I do my homework to understand the meaning. Sometimes, I talk to God as he is my friend and he gets scold from me too. This is a kind of prayer I do.
    I loved the last two prayers you have given. It was given to me some 12 years ago while I was going through a very tough time. Somehow, I have stopped telling that. I take today I was reminded that and thank you for that Viswa sir!
    Vani

knbg and Viswamitra like this.
  9. Viswamitra

Dear Smt.Jayasala:

Thank you for your wonderful and very comprehensive response about your thoughts on prayer. I agree with you that human tendency has become instant gratification for every effort including prayer. Prayer should be viewed as a sense of gratitude of feeling of emotions seeking something earnestly with heart with a belief that He has the power to grant it. At the same time, if it is not granted, we should not loose faith and we need to continue to work to become a deserving person more than blaming the prayer.

Prayer has to be a spontaneous expression of emotion and it can't be performed as a goodwill or as a status of a religious person. If everything that we possess are something that we hold as a trustee given by the Lord, what is there for us to offer to the Lord other than our pure heart?

Sri Sathya Sai Baba eloquently explained that offering the body as pathram (leaf), heart as flower (pushpam), mind as fruit (phalam) and tears of joy as water (thoyam).

Viswa

10. Viswamitra

I am very humbled by your kind words. But I have to tell you that it is your devotion that manifested with such magnificence in your words for everyone of us to see as the guiding light. Your response explained better what kind of devotion one should have while praying.

Viswa

coffeecups likes this.