1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Power of Words-in relations

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Tridev, May 2, 2010.

1. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

Tridev, always I am abused of my love. As if I did everything without their knowledge. I got their permission before taking up the commitment. If I ask "So what?" he will start explaining what others talk about me. Hope you will understand...to what level I will be abused.

"What next?" suits me here. I hint him saying "Okay I got bored of this topic. Accuse me for something new." :wink:

2. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

Yes Mithy I understand your situation, I feel your husband is equally frustrated and so he quotes others, but it gives us a chance to reflect on ourself too, we should try to reflect on what others opine, may be they have something right about us. We have to see that to correct ourself. I had met my daughters doctor, when I was explaining her the problem between my daughter and wife, you know what she told me, She said the problem is your wife and not your daughter in your home, unless your wife becomes less selfish and becomes nicer, there is no way how you all can live in one roof. I was taken aback as I had never talked to her about our problems earlier, she knew my wife and once my daughter had talked to her about her problems with her mother. The doc told me she too is a mother of teenager and she knows how they behave, that does not mean we become even with them. I could not know how to not reveal this to my wife, how to sit quiet after listening , so I told my wife that I can understand I may be biased against you, I abuse you, I have a wrong image of you, but why do others see you that way. Sometimes I feel when you hear such things from others , it magnifies our problem, we tend to belive more firmly definitely something is wrong in the person

The other day I was talking to the counselor, I told her my wife is very independent , she does not like to involve outsiders or talk to others, she likes to resolve issues within ourself , the counselor told me she wishes but does nothing, she never engages in any communication,steps, actions to resolve issue, she does not try to understand other pov and take corrective concrete actions, just by avoiding outsiders and not talking at all to anyone and not able to do anything outself too, is not going to solve any problem either.

Hope you see my point.

3. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

Its my dad Tridev. No one will talk to my dad about me. I am damn sure about it. Simply he will build stories to threaten me and keep me mum. He does the same with my mom too.

4. ArchanaP

ArchanaP Silver IL'ite

Thanks Tridev for starting this thread.

I like this quote from bible:

"What goes into
    a person's mouth doesn't make him unclean. It's what comes out of the mouth that makes a person unclean"

I came out of a very bad abusive relationship. At first I thought he was doing it out of frustation. Then, I thought I might be making him very angry. But it took several days, months and years for me to know that it's just him and he is very well aware of his actions.

At the initial days of marriage, when he was verbally abusive towards me and my parents, I took this to my parents attention. My dad suggested me to calm down or walk away from the place when there was heated a argument, let him cool down and talk to him when he is calmer. I followed his suggestion. Most of the times I kept quite even when I knew it's not my fault. But he took advantage of my efforts of trying to reconcile and would use the abusive language more often. He took my efforts to reconcile as "surrendering myself into his control".
    I think if it's just his anger, he would tried to mend his ways and apologized for his actions. But he is very well aware of his actions and he acted the way he did intentionally.

Most of us do use abusive words when pushed into a corner or angriest of our moods. Sometimes these words may not come out of our heart but just out of our mouth. But after we calm down, we do introspect ourselves, feel ashamed of our behavior, apologize, ask forgiveness and most importantly not repeat that again even if we are pushed to the extreme limits next time. Learning from our mistakes. But this does not happen in abusive relationships.

Coolphani mentioned about her husband picking up the behavior from his dad. This is the very reason I dropped the plan of having kids when I was in the relationship. Today I am very glad that I live in much cleaner and healthier environment.

5. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

Archana, the main issue in abusive relationship is this, that victim feels that he or she has triggered anger in other person and caused him to abuse. If for e.g I tell my wife, why do you react badly when I say things in calm manner at times, she will say because I am reacting to what you said , reaction is not a problem, how we react is...Anger, control , all that you mentioned is part of control mechanics, but we have to also know, its the psychology that goes behind it, it might not be a well thought process , though some people manipulate it too, which I fail to understand how they can.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  6. Foundlove

Foundlove Gold IL'ite

Words are really powerful..Good and Bad both.

When I was in an abusive relationship like Shilpama and Coolphani..I was really shocked when he called me names and said things I thought only uneducated and drunks told their wives( how naive I was).

I did not know how to react..Crying made it worse because I did not want to show my weakness but I couldn't help it.

After a few years I learned to face it ...but it still hurt. When I walked out ... I may have carried some bad conditioning.

In my new relationship ... I would lash out and speak loudly sometimes in the beginning. I realised that I had learned this from my past. I had to seriously focus on being a better person. Count till 10 before I spoke and took some couselling.

My current spouse helped me a lot with this. He is soft spoken and very much a gentleman.

This might sound bad to Coolphani ...but I think you need to do something about your situation. Bad,loud,insensitive words is the basis of emotional abuse.

JMO.
    FL.

7. ArchanaP

ArchanaP Silver IL'ite

Tridev,

I agree with you completely that "how we react..." matters. But when he/she chooses to react in abusive way even to respond to the simplest of the matters and is completely aware of his/her actions, then how can one deal with such people. Either the person taking the abuse becomes aggressive and equally abusive or goes into a shell called depression.

There are humans who fight for the basic necessities of life (food, clothes and shelter). When we have everything and have a far better lives than so many, why can't we just thank GOD every day and make our lives any easier?

Tridev, I pray to GOD that you find peace.

8. coolphani

coolphani Bronze IL'ite

Tridev,

Yes, I get very angry when my DH starts loosing his temper. But I never yell back, I just argue with him on why he thinks the way he thinks, the worst I could say is "whatever" or the worst I can do is walk out on him and come back later in the day. I always try to resolve issues peacefully. I try to work it out with my DH on why we had a fight and try to bring it a closure and restore the harmony at home but he hardly responds which is frustrating. He thinks I am falling at his feet and apologizing because of a grave mistake I had just committed. No, that's not how it is..I just try to talk to him and bring him back to normal because I am just looking for a normal, peaceful happy couple-life.Not that I can't live without talking to him or if he gives me the silent treatment. It's just that I believe that Life is too short -you'll never know -anything can happen tomorrow so why make it complicated and unhappy when you are still alive and kicking? I might not be right but again that's what I believe in:bonk
    But I see him changing Tridev... snail pace !!

these days even though he doesn't accept his mistakes he usually get backs to normal within an hour or two but as usual I have to break the ice or start a conversation

Yes, Tridev I agree my DH might not be getting the emotional support from me. I did change after my mom's advice. It's not that I don't give him suggestions . I always do .Previously he used to ignore them nowadays he tries to at least sit down and discuss with me.
    The bad part is those 2 friends do him more harm than good. One of the friend is always poking into our married life trying to separate us. I have no clue what he gains from separating us

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  9. coolphani

coolphani Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the post Srividya, It made a lot of sense , atleast to me:)

Yes, FL I knew I had to do something. I did what I could with my Mom's help. I give the entire credit to my parents.My dad and my mom also spoke to us several times on what needs to change in both of our attitudes, the last time they were here, so that we can coexist peacefully. We are working on it and I do see a lot of changes in my DH -he sure has a long way to go and i know I have to be very very patient. I know it's frustrating and he can't change overnight but I am hopeful.If everything falls apart and we separate in the future I shouldn't regret that we hadn't tried.

Archana, I am also doing the same-putting off having a kid till I am confident that my DH has changed enough for me to have a kid and I am comfortable growing old with him.

My DH has definitely picked it up from his Dad. I know he has no clue what half of what he says actually mean.He just knows that they are filthy words and I get angry and emotional when he uses them.

10. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

Hello Coolphani, ok now I see there is some difference, the stubborn lady which I had thought you were and compared you to my wife sought of, but I see you have a way to handle conflict. In a way my wife too will do the same, keep arguing if she sees I have a request like dont hit kids please. She will justify her actions, she will keep arguing, make no attempts to comfort after disagreements or fights, it was me who used to keep touching her feet to get normal, to come back home after walking out. Last year she was so angry that she chased me out of home, for a week I was in hotel. After that all she did was to just say when are you coming back, how long can you live in hotel? these were her words. I feel she has a heart, you can see , when she sees poor people how she feels, but when it comes to compassion at home, it is totally missing. I cannot understand my wife. What is that she is made up of. I have seldomly given silent treatment and that too not talking for some time , but she has meted silent treatment on every body in the family. where by a person walks past a ghost kind of......

In turn I have also been bad to her because of the behavior pattern , I lost my peace of mind and self in the drama a lot.

In your case you try to bring him back to normal, it has never happened in my case. Its so unfortunate to see these things. so now I think its not independence, or strong personality because you too have that, it is more to that, it is stubborn, ego, may be some emotional problem or pscyhological issues too. She is taking some psychological help in India, how far it is helping her I dont know.