1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Potty Training a toddler

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Priya Amarnath, Sep 2, 2005.

1. pray2god

pray2god Senior IL'ite

Hi Everybody,

We live in San diego, CA and I work full time and my DD who is 18 months goes to daycare. Since I am interested in starting the process of potty training, The daycare lady wanted us to try potty training her first over teh weekends/evenings and once she gets a hang of the potty- peeing/pooping, she said she will continue.

We have the stand alone potty as well as the potty seat. Currently she tells us "poo-poo" after she has pooped 90% of the times but she doesnt tell us before it comes. When I have left her bare bottom couple of times, she pees on teh floor and say "oh-oh" pointing to it after doing it...

Luckily my home is hard wood floored with few rugs. I plan to roll up the rugs and leave her bare bottom when I get back from work and over the weekends.

Questions I have are
    1) Is 18 montsh very early?
    2) IS underwear or leaving them bare bottom preferrable(luckily weather is getting nice and warm here)?
    2) Any recommendataions for videos..?
    3) ANy other advice for working moms like me.?

2. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

My DD is 3 now and she is almost potty trained. She does get up in the morning and does pee and poo. The only problem is if she does not poop in the morning then later on during the day she tends to do it in her underwear adn after finishing she tells me to clean it..When she is at home, she usually pees a little bit before she tells me that she has to go...too busy playing and does not want to leave her playing to go to the potty....most of the times I take her to pee as a routine but there are times when I miss and then she pees a bit in her undies... If she is outside with me and if I tell her that she cannot do pee or poop in the underwear, then she does tell me in time..ie before doing. I am at loggerheads how to break this habit of hers.

3. jignasha27

jignasha27 Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,

My son is 19 months old now. i want to start potty training for him. do you think this is early. he has habit of drinking much water everytime he gets up in the middle of night. actually he got this habit from when i was weaning him from BFing. so morning his diaper would be so heavy. he doesnt talk yet. only few 2 letter words. he know what pee-pee is and from where it comes. even potty he use to tell me 1 month back when he gets pressure. but now suddenly he stopped saying. and so much busy in playing that hes noot even bothered of soiled diaper. one day morning i made him stand in adults bath tub to pee. waited for 15 minutes and when it came he was shocked and just controlled it back. next day same thing. now hes scared of standing in tub.after that sometime if i leave him without diaper for 10 minutes or so after bath. so accidents happened on bed, on carpet. when he does he calls mummy dirty, pee-pee. and hold his thing showing that it came from here :).

1) do i need to transfer from diaper to pull ups ( training pants) if i wanna start training. hes so skinny that i dont think his size pull ups are available.
    2) i cant leave him without daipers coz my apartment is fully carpeted. so what to do.
    3)some times when he gets daiper rash if i put just pants on with out daiepr. he dont feel comfortable. keep on touching there and asking me to put daiper on.
    4)is it ok that i use directly small potty seat over thr adults seat. reason is again cleaning the potty seat and sanitising will be another work. ( hes fussy eater. whole day i spend in feeding him)

so do you think hes ready or should i wait. going to india in september and ppl thr will make big scene if hes not trained yet.

4. blessbabydust

blessbabydust IL Hall of Fame

my son is 15 months old and iam working mom ... only in the weekends i make him sit on the potty and say hmmm thats what he says before his toilet ... he only sits there for 1 min but i hope he will sit and do his job in few more tries .... lets hope ... will post what happend this coming week ...

5. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

6. adimom

adimom Senior IL'ite

When it comes to potty training every kid is different. Same method may or may not work for another child. Some are scared of scared of toilet, some scared of flush,some don't want to be nappy free, etc. My DD (28 months) has been used to nappy since day1. Hence she will not pee or poo if she is not wearing nappy. I started training her after she truned 2. I removed her nappy and let her move around bare bottom. She did her first pee after a long time when she couldn't control anymore. She was very scared because she has never seen pee or poo coming. I decided to train her to pee first. After 2 days she got comfortable peeing without nappy or any cloths on. Third day she was holding her pee for long. Then I took her toilet and she did pee immediately. It took only two days for her to learn to pee in toilet. After that she is nappy free all the time except for poo (she asks for nappy when she has to poo). Now she is completely trained for pee and also she is dry whole night.

Last week I decided to train her to poop. Her main problem was that she was scared to poop bare bottom. I told her that we don't have nappy at home she can do it in her pants if she wants to and she did it. After couple of times doing in pants, I removed her pants and let her to poop wherever she is standing. Next time I took here to toilet and she did it in the toilet. In last 4 days she did in toilet 2 times which I feel is very good as she got the hang of going in toilet. Training them to poop is bit harder. Give them plenty of water, juice, vegetables, fruits (like banana), raisin, prunes which helps them to poop easily.

7. abinayamadhavan

abinayamadhavan Silver IL'ite

Hi Priya,

I think its too early to start the potty training. With my son, I make him sit in my legs when he was around 4 months old and started using potty at 6. I think after 4 months you can start using.

8. raghavsmom

raghavsmom New IL'ite

My son is 3.3 months old. And still not potty trained. Talks a lot but never tells me. Got tired in training him. Need some tips.

9. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Just read the tips given on this thread and i am sure you'll find many useful tips.

10. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

as all the moms want to potty train the kids just want to ask you all a question which kind of pulls up do you use.. i got the pampers pull ups but its kind of bulky and didn't feel like putting it on to him so i switch back to pampers swaddlers i feel like this is more soft and good..and had an indicator..i want to switch him to pull ups so it would be easy for potty training just trying to see which pull ups are better...