Postpartum hair loss - Any experience?

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by SGBV, Feb 13, 2014.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Ladies,

I am totally down with this severe hair loss after my delivery. I was exclusively breast feeding till the 4th month, and now switched it to formulas mostly as I am out for work from 7-5 (including commuting times).

The hair loss started right after I stopped breast feeding, and it continues at a rate now.
    Its been 5 months post delivery.

I had experience PP hair loss with my first child too, and that time I was exclusively BFing him till 1 yr, but the hair fall rate was not like this. This time it is unbearable.

I am taking my calcium and iron pills, but to be frank I was not careful with that during and post pregnancy times as I used to forget taking them most of the times. But now, I am doing it carefully after seeing hair fall?
    Some one advised me to take Vit E pills as well. Not sure though

Any remedy?

Will Indulekha work as they advertise for?
    Any pills that is safe to take?
    Any home remedies?
    Any special meals?

2. Gossipgurls

Gossipgurls Silver IL'ite

Nothing can stop PP hair loss ... It would be couple of mnts before it becomes normal , my hair loss started around 6mnts and stopped after my boy was yr or so.

I just cut my hair short and kept taking my vitamins.

3. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

I have noticed less facial hair which I am very happy with, also less hair growth on legs / arms postpartum. My baby is 2 months old and I am still breastfeeding. I have not noticed less hair on my head as I have thick long hair, so I don't see any difference. I am also not taking any vitamins after delivery.

One of ny friends continued to take pre natal vitamins even after Delivery since her hair grew nice and thick during pregnancy.

4. swiss

swiss Gold IL'ite

I have severe hairloss too post delivery. My baby is now almost 14 mnths old. I used InduLekha hair oil, now using it since atleast 8 mnths. Absolutely no effect as they claim in their ads.. Atleast for me. I bought lots of bottles from India once they are done will switch to regular parachute. :-(

5. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes this PP hair loss happens and it will sure take its time, say few months.. regularly apply oil, massage and wash your hair with conditioner.. Just trim your hair to a shorter lenghth.. as time went by, it stopped on its own..

No vitamins, calcium, iron, indulekha or any oils can stop this..

Care for yourself, have a rich diet with compulsory greens, pudina, curryleaves based dishes atleast twice a week.. and just go on.. soon you will see your hair is becoming nicer than now..

For me , it started in my 4th month and was heavily falling till 6th month.. 7th month onwards became lesser gradually..

6. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

I'm going through the same issue now Witsend. Severe hair loss started at 4 months and baby is 5 months now ... every time I oil and wash my hairs, i see bunch of them coming out... I've stopped ironing my hairs also ....

Any idea, vitamins/ iron supplements / hair regrowth capsules helped?

7. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Anitha,

vitamins will help your body gain sufficient nutrients, but wont stop PP hairfall.. you have to survive with this for another1-2 months.

As my doc says jokingly, ' Don't worry, ladies dont go bald..' I was afraid to that extent.

8. god2014

god2014 Gold IL'ite

If you can try onion juice on hair, please do it as hair fall reduces and new hair grows, but not in a day or week. Atleast 4weeks but surely hair fall will reduce immediately, that is sure..it stinks, still add some essential oil if you want else apply the juice, leave it for 1-2hrs, wash with your shampoo, do it 3times a week on alternate days for best results, it works..

Please don't try expensive oils, no results at all.. Instead go for coconut oil and castor oil mix on hair atleast it works if used regularly.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014