1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Post-mortem

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Post mortem is Latin for "after death". In English, postmortem refers to an examination, investigation, or process that takes place after death. A postmortem examination of a body (often simply called a postmortem) is often needed to determine the time and cause of death; the stiffening called rigor mortis is one postmortem change that doctors look at to determine when death occurred. Today we've come to use postmortem to refer to any examination or discussion that takes place after an event.

“We live in deeds, not years: in thoughts, not breaths; In feelings, not in figures on a dial. We should count time by heart-throbs. He most lives Who thinks most, feels the noblest, acts the best” said Philips James Bailey, the English poet. “Life! we've been long together through pleasant and through cloudy weather; Tis hard to part when friends are dear, perhaps 'twill cost a sigh, a tear. Then steal away, give little warning. Choose thine own time, say not "Good-night," but in some brighter clime, bid me "Good-morning." – said Anna Laetitia Barbauld, another English poet.

It is our thoughts, words and actions that defines our lives and it is our discrimination of these three that determines our character. Our experiences are nothing but a set of circumstances that helps us to learn the purpose of our lives. All events that unfold in life are dress rehearsal for a better tomorrow. Failure and success are immeasurable to the human mind and they are nothing but loosely defined terms coined by the judgment by fellow beings. What is best is unknown to anyone of us and the best is limited by the capacity of our mind to think.

We must do heavy-lifting of every thought that creates negative emotions to throw them into the garbage bin. We must also energize our noble thoughts through the secret sauce called will power. That automatically draws unlimited resources available at our disposal. That is the power of noble men and women. If we have learned to control our thoughts, words, deeds, senses and mind, we become the conqueror. The world we perceive changes dramatically and universal love become a dominant factor in life. Unfortunately, the only specie that can conquer the mind and senses is the only one that limits unconditional love to limited resources in the circle of influence.

If we truly need to improve the quality of life, we need to conduct a postmortem of our mind to determine how it worked all day by sitting quietly in a place every evening. Let us find out when our character suffered from ill health during the day. Once this analysis results in pinpointing the root cause of the health issue, let us learn to fix it instantly so that it is never repeated. Most importantly, let us forgive ourselves for such an action after the remorseful session.

The journey about building character is lonely but if we build a great listening skills, we may have great resources around us to point it out making the introspection easier. The biggest obstacle for identification of root cause of health issues to our character is our own ego. The family, friends, colleagues, education, life skills, wealth, health, reputation, name, fame, etc. need not be meticulously accumulated if we learn to work on control of thoughts, words, deeds, senses and mind and development of the character. That automatically soaks us in unconditional love bringing everything and much more.

Rather than worrying about what others think about us when we are alive, what would people think of us after we leave our mortal coil, what would be spoken during our funeral, what would be written in our tomb, etc., let us measure the quality of life by determining how our character improves day by day, how our thoughts, words, deeds, senses and mind are controlled and how we demonstrate unconditional love to the fellow beings with no expectations. Let us seek flawless character and let the peace and happiness be byproducts. Life doesn’t start at the time of birth and ends at the time of death. Even if it does, let us write our own postmortem of our mind until there is no room for improvement. Sublime mind is the sign of a great character filled with unconditional love. Even we leave the mortal coil, let our good character become immortal.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  2. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Nice one V

a journey between life(birth) and death, a post mortem if death is unnatural is the norm.

a self post mortem on a day to day basis by individuals would help in leading a better life the following day for sure. an unnatural post mortem after death would turn to a natural post mortem for a better life isn't it?

3. Viswamitra

Dear GG,

Unless we learn to express universal love to every fellow being, our character is suffering from unnatural health issues and hence requires postmortem. The difference between real postmortem of the body and character postmortem is, only the facts about the time and the nature of death is known in case of bodily death whereas in case of postmortem of the mind, besides knowing the time and the nature of death, we can revitalize our character and really bring it alive. :)

Viswa

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    GoogleGlass likes this.
  4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear viswa,
    Wonderful article on post mortem.Once the expression was a taboo at home.Nearly 10 hours used to be allotted for the subject'post mortem' in the study of 'psychology' in the college of Education..
    Normally in middle class homes there will be post mortem session after weddings, small functions and even after death rituals. My grandma used to initiate discussions on the negatives, bad comments from guests, why they emanated, which went wrong-whether from our reception side or on the part of the chief cook or any other misc item.This used to be noted and avoided in future weddings.
    After a surgery,whether success or failure,doctors conduct post mortem research as to how they should have avoided certain steps or how they should have been careful in certain areas.
    In big missions like launching of satellites and failures ,this postmortem is of very much use. Behind the real developmemt in Android and I-phones,lies the post mortem of the earlier projects.
    In real life situations when our harsh words and actions retort ,we start doing this post mortem exam.
    Normally human tendency is to to do the analysis not on daily basis but on a massive failure of a mission.When the 13 floored newly constructed building collapsed in Chennai four years back, the entire public ,particularly.,real estate tops started doing post mortem analysis.
    As Viswa says, day today self assessment leads to refinement in character.
    This post mortem analysis is already embedded in human character.Planning and post mortem are two essential aspects in every activity essential for step by step progress and help to avoid many a crisis.
    Book reviews,vyakyanams and commentaries of great epics,reviews of fine Arts programmes,assessment meetings with District collectors after a development programme is launched, trial runs of metro trains and driverless cars,only a few to mention.The list is very long and encompasses 99 percent of human activities.
    Post mortem really helps.But normally this is avoided under the plea'don't cry over spilt milk'.It is not crying over spoilt milk but is a solution to ensure that no milk is spoilt in future and we can aim at near perfection in what we think, how we speak and how we act.It is more or less a 'self-consultancy'service which is more powerful than the most paid consulting services.
    Viswa, thank you .The article is very much introspective and and has taken my memories to long arguments and discussions conducted after each wedding of my sisters and cousins-presided over by my patti and parents.A valuable aspect of life which is very often neglected in day to day life but cared for essentially in corporates as 'post project analysis'.

Jayasala 42

Viswamitra and joylokhi like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

It is always a delight to read your comprehensive response covering the subject thoroughly from all aspects.

I have participated in such post wedding postmortem in our own family. But when my FIL died, it was a small team consisting of my MIL, wife and myself to review everything including who didn't show up.

Nowadays, filming the surgical procedure has become very common particularly because of medical malpractice law suits filed in the US.

There used to be a television program called "From the earth to the moon" which I used to enjoy a lot. Frankly, there are critic groups to analyze every new version of the operating system released by IoS, Android, Microsoft, etc. and they analyze and publish the shortfalls in the newer version.

That is a great list of postmortem analysis. How many Carnatic singers used to wait for what Subudu was going to publish the next day about their musical performance.

As you rightly pointed out it is not about crying about the spilled milk. Every little review of our conduct during the day gives us rich knowledge about our inner qualities which not many share with us. Many times, I consider my spouse as my conscience as she is probably the best critic of my bad qualities as she listens to my expressed thoughts and performed actions round the clock.

Corporations have incorporated a management process but in personal life, this postmortem is highly neglected under the pretext "it is water under the bridge". In this postmortem, some extraordinary patterns of our own behavior can be noticed. Our sensitivities, emotions, pride, prejudice, etc. can be very well understood only through this process.

Viswa

6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    After anything good or bad happens people try to analyse its effects.

After an election political parties who lose do a postmortem to analyse the cause on losing the election and also their opponent's strategy on winning the election.

Even in sports like cricket and soccer etc the losing team do a postmortem so that they can take corrective measures.

Even in day to day life some times we make decisions on the impulse of the moment and later regret for it.

Wish that we always loved by all by doing good deeds and after our death we get a good postmortem report.

PS

7. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Srinivasan:

We are bound to make mistakes but once we have the habit of reviewing our thoughts and actions, we can eliminate them at least in future. Every one of our thoughts, words and actions are developing our character for which control of mind and senses are essential. Life becomes invaluable if we learn lessons out of it and learn to forgive ourselves for the mistakes we have done in the past.

Viswa

8. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa uncle,
    This post means a lot. I have started analysing my self at the end of the day and surrender my self as the first thing in the morning after your guidance. Within few weeks of that I have started feeling that I know my self a bit more, I started understanding where I have failed when I could have avoided that negativity and also where I did better than the previous day. After jayasala amma and you have mentioned only I remembered the discussions my parents and aunts had after my sister's wedding and so on. It is so true. Regarding the introspection and love , I would like to mention what rumi said that 'your task is not seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.

thank you uncle,
    Vani

Viswamitra likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

My dear Vani,

Unlearning some of our bad qualities is an important step to imparting the knowledge we need to gain. For doing this, we need to learn everything about ourselves.

I was watching a humor show in television the other day and one of the comedian gave me an important spiritual lesson by telling a story. The story goes as follows:

"Once a famous King was suffering from an unbearable headache. He brought the best doctors from many countries but no one could cure him. One day, a Saint visited the kingdom and he asked him what is the solution for his headache. He suggested, "In order to make the headache go away, he needs to see everything in green." The king started painting the whole palace with green paint spending so much money. Everyone in the palace was asked to wear green as well. But the headache didn't go. When he approached the Saint again, the Saint said, "Why waste money like this? All you needed to do is to wear a green glass to see everything in green."

The moral of the story is, "We can't change the world until we are prepared to change ourselves and when we do change ourselves, the whole world changes anyway."

I like the following quote of Rumi:

“Gamble everything for love,

if you’re a true human being.

If not, leave this gathering.

Half-heartedness doesn’t reach into majesty.

You set out to find God,

but then you keep stopping

at mean-spirited, roadhouses…”

Viswa

girvani likes this.
  10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear vishwa
    A gem from u once again.
    Post mortem yes if everyday we do pm of the mind how much we would improve.
    Regards.
    Kamal