1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Possessive!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Aug 6, 2012.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Anirudh had even gone to the extent of crying after finding that his pleading did not work at all. Archana was stern. "I said 'No!' and that stays, even if you cry!", she said. Arun just came back. Anirudh saw a half chance and ran to him. "Pappa! Students in my class are going for an excursion to some old forts in North India. Its only for 3 days. But mom is not permitting me!", he blurted.

"Oh!", Arun said and went for a change. Anirudh went to bed, deflated. That night, Arun asked Archana why she did not permit Anirudh to go. "He is in class 8 now and knows how to take care of himself!", he said. "Come on! Class 8 or 10, he is still a little one. Two full days! What would happen if he doesn't go there at all? Besides, he is still like you, being careless at times! I can't be kept waiting for 3 full days of worry!", she concluded.

Many years passed and Anirudh married Usha - an arranged marriage of course. A couple of days after they settled down, Usha called Anirudh for a night show. Anirudh started. "It is dark and may rain too. You better stay indoors!", Archana said. "Don't worry! I will take care of him!", Usha said. "I don't understand why she is so damn possessive!", Archana complained to Arun, after they left.

"Is that so?", he said.

2. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

:) :) if only he had made her understand it years ago!!

This possessiveness of many moms is the starting point of many issues arising in families after the son gets married. This gets compounded by what the DIL brings to the table also, her upbringing, thoughts and ideas.

A good one rgs!!

Akila

3. rgsrinivasan

Thanks for your nice feedback Akila. Happy to receive yours as first. -rgs

4. mathu903

mathu903 Gold IL'ite

I actually totally second Akila's opinion on this. If only she was advised on this years ago. The mommy boy syndrome and the extra possessiveness of the mom are 2 main things which creates a rift in among the newly married or between the DIL and MIL. Be it a son or a daughter, it is better to let go of their hands and let them live their own lives after a point. There is no point in holding on to them the entire life. Enjoyed it Rgs!!

5. rgsrinivasan

Having seen and suffered, I can't understand why some DIL's of yesterday make the same mistake when they are MILs today.
    Thanks so much for your nice feedback. -rgs

6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear rgs,

To many traits in a personality seeds are sown in childhood. If a child is over protective...they repeat the same thing when they have children. Children who are abused or had corporal punishment in childhood repeat the same thing when they have children. Their logic is strange......we are shaped into good human beings and what is wrong with it?
    It need not be between MIL and DIL. DIL also would have the influence of her parents on her in viewing things. Now they complain because it is inconvenient to them...but when their son is married they repeat the same things. Strange!!!! Isn't it?

As it is, over possessiveness is never good in any relationship. It is suffocating. Live and let live..should be there. It may be children, wife, husband, friend, MIL or DIL.

Syamala

7. rgsrinivasan

Nice explanation Syamala. Glad to read it. And you are spot on, about possessiveness. Thanks for your feedback. -rgs

8. strangerrr

strangerrr Gold IL'ite

Fortunately, i was allowed to travel alone wen i was in class 4th by my parents; even Arun share equal blame as Archana as he failed to convince her (as my dad did)

Thanks for the story rgs :)

9. rgsrinivasan

You are quite right about the mistake in Arun's part, Strangerrr. And, glad to know that you were left for yourself even at that younger age :) . Thanks for your feedback. -rgs

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear RGS,

Thank you for this nice story. We have only one child in our life. My wife used to be extremely possessive. I told her repeatedly that she should allow him to expose himself to the world outside. My wife listened to me and we sent him on a trip to Japan when he was in Grade 7 for 2 1/2 weeks. He went with four girls, two boys and two teachers under student exchange program and stayed with Japanese families and learned so much out of that trip. He is now very independent and makes wonderful decisions. Both of us are very happy.

Viswa