1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

PORTRAIT PAINTINGS : Beauty Moving From Palette to Canvass

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Navaljee, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Navaljee

Navaljee Senior IL'ite

Suzanne Valadon was herself a French painter. Here she had modeled for Renoir

[​IMG]

Girl Braiding Her Hair
    (Image Courtesy Wikimedia Commons)

In his late years of life Renoir had cultivated interest in classic art with the brush of an impressionist. He concentrated on ensuring that how the sunlight affects flesh tones. Renoir was very much affected by the beautiful models who worked for him. Here a lady painter herself had posed as a model for the painting.

Pierre Auguste Renoir’s (1841 – 1919) was a master in the impressionist style that celebrated beauty from whatever elements he might come across. He had painted several beautiful portraits adoring the charm of the models sitting before him. His paintings and portraits are notable for their vibrant light and saturated colour, focusing on people in candid composition, and fusing the details of a scene through freely brushed touches of colour.

The self-portrait is one of the favourite subects, and to an extent fundamental to the history of Western art. From the time of master painter Jan Van Eyck, and through the exotic explorations of Rembrandt, or the self-depictions of Edvard Munch to the giant pixellated compositions of Chuck Close, the subject of portrait painting has varied; enormously enriching itself in respect of purpose and style. Here the master artist had painted his self portrait.

2. SeethaHari

SeethaHari New IL'ite

Dear Navaljee,

I am the first time visitor to your blog and its as though I stumbled upon an treasure house of paintings and literature. Very very nice and candid expressions.
    I love paintings and do a bit of it especially Pencil skethes, Oil and Tanjore.
    But reading about different classes of paintings is an eye opener.
    My humble regards and waiting to read more of your articles in the blog.

SeethaHari

3. likemychai

likemychai New IL'ite

Navaljee Sir, very nice, informative blog about this striking painting. I think I remember seeing this painting in an exhibit once, it is familiar to me and am fond of it. Interesting also that it was a painter posing for a painter, no?
    Regards,
    LMC

4. Navaljee

Navaljee Senior IL'ite

You are really fortunate to see such a wonderful painting in its original. Renoir had done very beautiful painting of women.

5. Navaljee

Navaljee Senior IL'ite

Ms. SeethaHari

Painting is an art of the heart. Thanks for visiting my blogs. You can read further articles in IndusLadies or at the links given in sidebar. Keep visiting.