Poppy seeds (Khus Khus)

Discussion in 'Indians in UAE' started by dipti07, Mar 3, 2009.

1. dipti07

dipti07 Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I had got some khus khus from india but learnt that it is one of the items banned at airportbonk. Hence wanted to know any place we can get it here. Also is there any truth is that it is baned item?:idea

2. jezz_nish

jezz_nish Senior IL'ite

hi dipti
    i too have heard that it is banned,but i have carried it myself from india n had no iisues.
    u get black khus khus known as sabja in lulu.white khus khus i am not aware of,try it in carrefour in the spice section,were they keep all the spices in an open counter

jess

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi dear,

Carrying poppy seeds could lead to jail term of 4 years in dubai. Poppy seeds is illegal in almost all gulf countries.

I think there was a list of illegal and banned items list where some of the drugs that we use for cold also are included.

Do check the list that should be available on the net...

4. roopanair123

roopanair123 Gold IL'ite

hello dipti

what you have heard is correct...poppy seeds are banned in gulf countries and risky to be brought...try your luck in any indian shops...i tried all over including Al-adil, however not available

5. JustAni

JustAni Silver IL'ite

Dipti,

All the replies you have received answers are true.

They are banned in Dubai, & you could land up in jail if you get caught with it in the airport.

I have not yet seen it available easily in any supermarket, like Spinneys or Carrefour. Some Indian stores do have it, but they give it off to long-time faithful customers. Rant

6. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

You can get khus khus in Karama ; opp. Crystal music institute ; behind 'Just for Kids ', there is one flour mill . I think the name is 'Rashid Khamis' ; I always got it from there. Or if you tell him he'll procure & keep it for you. Also, another flour mill near the Majlis Gallery roundabout [Creek roundabout] in Old Pakistani Consulate area ... called Baharat (i think ) .
    You can also enquire in Madina Supermarkets esp. the one in Golden Sands area, the staff are very very good and helpful.

7. nandinibabu

nandinibabu Bronze IL'ite

Yes if any one happen to bring poppy seeds to the gulf countries, the entire family would be caught in to the jail..this i hered from my close relative, who stays here for a long time. please don't try or don't think to bring it from india to gulf..

8. dipti07

dipti07 Senior IL'ite

Thanks Grace. Will check it.

9. jezz_nish

jezz_nish Senior IL'ite

hi
    i guess its the white khus khus which is banned,nt the black because its available everywere wich i was not aware of n carried it anway,i guess thts why i had no issues at the airport either.

jess

10. Zeenat

Zeenat Silver IL'ite

hi dipti,
    poppy seeds is banned here. i get my stock from india. didnt have any problems at the airport coz i had put it in my bag which was checked-in. yeah if u carry it in ur hand bag, and if u r asked to open it, then it might cause problems. otherwise its easy to get it inside checked in baggage.
    here u will not get it at all. ive tried since 5yrs searching all over dubai but in vien.

zeenat.