Poonal (Thread Ceremony) which I visited today

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by iyerviji, Jul 8, 2012.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Today we had gone for a Thread Ceremony of two young boys. It did not look like a Thread Ceremony but like a marriage. When we entered the hall we were welcomed by two cute ladies arranged by the Caterer with haldi kumkum andflowers. Hall which was booked was an AC hall and decorated well.

The My dh's friend whose grandsons Thread Ceremony was there asked to go and have breakfast first. The attenders both gents and ladies were dressed up nicely. The menu for breakfast was Therittipal with dry fruits in it, Uttappam, Pongal, Idli and Crispy Vada with Sambhar andChutney and milagapodi. Then we had coffee.

We were surprised to see the ladies carrying Paruppu Thenga etc and going to the entrance. Usually during marriages they take the Paruppu Thenga etc when the bridegroom is taken outside for Kasi Yatra. Then the two boys were brought inside by their mamas carrying them. The two boys wore crown in which lights were there. Both were looking cute. After the Muhurtham all the ladies gave them biksha. Since the Muhurtham was over by 9 a.m. and the function got over by 9.30 or so we had time till lunch. For sometime we were chatting and then we went to the temple nearby.

At 12 pm. we went for lunch. Lunch was also grand . Usually they serve sambhar and rasam after putting rice. But here they kept four cups , payasam in one, morkuzambu in one, sambhar in one and rasam in one. If they had put sambhar and rasam after putting the rice then we would have had according to our choice and not wasted the sambhar which was given in the cup. Then there was nimbu rice, paruppu vada, dahi raita, avial, pachadi, Potato kara curry, two more vegetables, pickle, puli inji and papad and also burfi. After all this Ice cream was also there and Pan. So we were full with the heavy lunch

For ladies they gave a tray along with vethilai pakku, thengai, murukku and laddu which was put in a nice bag. We felt as if we had gone for a marriage. The boy is in US so could spend the money lavishly. Also he has only two sons so no worry of spending the money for them for marriage like they spend for girls. When the Poonal itself was so grand can imagine how the marriage will be.

2. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

vijima, am really wondering just like you how the wedding would be..these days people just shell out money and everything else is taken care of..and i am really bugged up with the concept of return gifts..isnt the tambulam just enough...

1 person likes this.
  3. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Dear Viji

Its nice at least the parents wish to conduct the thead ceremony and spent without missing on rituals when the boys are young despite living in USA. There are many boys in India who even after attending the age of 20+ are not given the Gayatri Mandram. In my family we are all girls to my parents and we did not get to organise a poonal function, nor for me as I have only daughter. We always wonder why the parents could not perform the poonal as it does not require horoscope matching, a groom as per our requirement etc. but only an auspicious day with the rituals simply done. Still many dont do it on time.

Though the above spending is nothing but extravagance, but I appreciate their interest. I have a friend who has only one son, conducted the thread ceremony that was preceded by a mehndi function prior to Nandhi. She wanted to do it in a very grand way as conducting marriage is not in their hands, but the boy's and the girl's side.

PS: I miss those lovely occasions here Viji.

Best Regards
    Shanti

1 person likes this.
  4. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Each function seems to be a grand affair these days specially as in the case you mentioned that the person is settled in the US and can afford a grand celebration.

What matters is the actual ceremony and not the grandness of the ceremony. The guests spend more time admiring the arrangements and decorations that they actually miss out seeing the ceremony.

But anyway, Viji Maam, after such a grand thread ceremony as you said, the wedding will surpass everything. We look forward to reading your experiances of the world from you. It always gives us a reason to pause and give it a thought

1 person likes this.
  5. shobana sridhar

shobana sridhar Silver IL'ite

Dear Viji
    I fully agree with you views on the spending part.When my son's poonal was conducted,we knew a mami in RA puram in chennai who suggested that we perform poonal for 3 other boys along with my son's upanayanam.My parents went to Sankara Mutt and with the help of them could help us conduct for all four kids. I had never been happier in my life on that day than any day of my life.The other boys parents were also requested to invite their friends and families and it so happened that all four of them were all almost the same age and height.They were all 9 years old.Everyone had a nice time and my parents did the seer for all of us . I owe all to that maami who suggested that .I have also requested my husband that when my son gets married as we do not have daughter he conducts the wedding of a girl as he would if we have one. I pray Swamy to Give us the strength and way for that

3 people like this.
  6. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

Vijima! You made my mouth water at the mention of pongal and vadai! :D

these days celebrations have become a means for us to show off our wealth. very unfortunately, this raises the standard for everyone. we Indians have a competitive mentality, and tend to think, they conducted the marriage so lavishly, even we should do that. they had two payasams, we should make four. they had a carnatic kutcheri, we should have a kutcheri on one day, and a live band on the next. so on and so forth.

Those who can afford it, can do all that, but there are people who cannot afford, and still end up spending so much on a marriage or first birthday, or poonol ceremony. This is not a healthy trend.

1 person likes this.
  7. ssm014

ssm014 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks OP

really nice post...i am trying to recollect the last poonal that i went to, seems ages....

am salivating here thinking of the thertipaal and vadais...

since i am also fm Mumbai...just curious. who was the caterer?

1 person likes this.
  8. mathangikkumar

mathangikkumar Platinum IL'ite

Dear shobana sridhar,

hats off to you and the mami who suggested, you have surpassed those who spend lavishly for their function, definitely God will Shower His blessings on you and your family, It's not only the upanayanam of three boys but also feeding so many relatives and friends, it's just incredible. Hope the society has more of your tribe!
    Vijima the serving thro' cups is a nice idea and and as you said it might go waste if people do not like to have all.

9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Sushma dear thanks for the first fb. True now a days since both husband and wife are earning they are able to spend lavishly

10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Shanti dear true though they stay in USA still they carried out the rituals and that too in a grand way. True some are not lucky to have the poonal at the right age. Recently we went for a marriage where the girl's brother had poonal on her marriage day who is a grown up boy.

Glad to know your friend also conducted the thread ceremony in a grand way.

PS: I miss those lovely occasions here Viji.

Right dear