1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Points to Ponder Upon EGO & Its influences

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by subbutr, Jan 15, 2008.

1. subbutr

subbutr Senior IL'ite

My dear Friends,
    Wishing All our Indus family A Happy New Year Greetings.
    On this Happy New Year, Let us ponder our thoughts on few aspects of EGO & its influence on us.
    As I view the EGO as under:

Ego is neither an entity nor a process.
    EGO---according to me is a tool of self-defence as well as self-destruction---so here comes our philosophical discrimination (or vivekam , as per vedanta definition) by which u can make out when to use ego wisely.
    It is only a notion of I-amness which exists in the mind.
    The process of reducing the ego is for the mind and not for the ego itself, although we talk about the ego as separate.
    It never exists without the mind.
    If a person is senseless, the person doesn't know about his or her state. I-amness is dormant.
    It develops greed, pride, attachment, fear, etc.
    The ego only owns all those things in the mind by saying “I am.”
    Ego is nothing but pride in its inflated form.
    For example,an arrogant man is unduly or excessively proud of his wealth,status,learning,etc.,
    He shows ego in spirit of conduct.He's unwarrantably overbearing & haughty.
    His head is swollen like the swelling caused by dropsy.
    He thinks very highly of himself and poorly of others.
    He claims much for himself and concedes little to others.
    However,if we think pride or ego is easy to get rid of, think again!
    The play of the ego pervades our whole life.
    The ego does not go away by merely substituting some set phrase for “I”.
    As long as the body is alive and the mind functions in and through the body,
    what is known as the ego or the personality will arise and exist.
    This ego or pride is not a permanent and unquestionable reality.
    It is a temporary phenomenon,it is ignorance that invests it with permanency.
    It is a concept,it is ignorance that elevates it to status of reality.
    Only enlightenment can bring us this wisdom.
    Overall observing our Ego & its presence in every one of us can be seen as an attachments to worldly things.
    In all identifications the ego is expressing its presence in a form of desire and attachment.
    If we were already nonattached, then there is no need of anything.
    In all of our activities there is attachment and likes and dislikes.
    But when the Dharma becomes our aim, then the ego, attachment and desires start loosening their grip.
    Without the ego, no discipline, no austerity, no determination is possible.
    The ego which traps in the world should be weakened and not that ego which is conducive to liberation.
    In showing devotion to the self-chosen duty, due to that determination, one can achieve the self realizations.
    When the mind is removed from worldly desires, then all our past & present pains and agony moves away from us.

Awaiting our members feedbacks and corrections....
    Subbu

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Very nice topic and great analysis of Ego..dear Subbu..Thanks for writing on this subject..as we can see it takes so many lines to begin explaining this concept..it will take so much more hard work to be free of its influence..As my reverend Ramanar would ask where was it in your sleep?.. thanks for blogin..

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Subbu sir,

Happy new year. and a great topic and a self pondering one...with all that you have written on ego...Ego pumps up the human with so much self. that he fails to see things around him that are affected by him...
    It is the ego that gives us the sense of "I" and "mine."
    Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa says there are two t ypes of ego's one the ripe ego where it says "I am the child of God, I am the servant of God".The unripe ego is that which attaches itself to different ideas and objects of worldly enjoyment. It says, "I am beautiful"; "I am powerful".

Thanks for a great topic...

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Ego clashes are the main reason for the increase in divorce cases. When ego raises its head the sanity takes a back seat. A nice topic. People know that they are at fault, but ego puts a block to apologise.

5. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

I first wish to comment for the title story of your blog. First I felt it is so loong, but as i finished reading, I felt I got a good message.

As for this post, the sense of 'I' makes a person impermeable. He fails to know that god is bigger persona nd he is what but a mere child of god, he is nothing but a drop in ocean or even less.

At a practical level, one can get rid of ego
    1. By meditation

2. By listening to stories of great people who lived or living in this planet. Or by going to a spritual guru.
    ( In this context, Visaka Hari is so popular these days for narrations)

3. One has to read a lot. The more aware the person is, the lesser the ego becomes ( just opposite to the fact tht empty vessels make more noise).

That was a useful thing to ponder on and bring to light of others in this community. Good thought Mr. Subbu. :)

6. subbutr

subbutr Senior IL'ite

Thank you our dear Meenloch for the wonderful feedbacks and glad to see your response.
    Yes meditations gives pleasant remedies for all ego clashes.

Subbu

7. subbutr

subbutr Senior IL'ite

Thank you our dear Pushpavalli Srinivasan madam,
    Valid points of present day divorce cases where Ego clash plays havoc.
    The moment both sit together & sort out the differences,they are in for a better tomorrows.

Subbu

8. subbutr

subbutr Senior IL'ite

Thank you our dear Shanvy for quoting great saint Ramana Maharishi's sayings and glad to note the same & its importance.
    Thanks for your feedbacks and look forward to be regular.
    Subbu

9. subbutr

subbutr Senior IL'ite

Thank you our dear Anandchitra for endorsing the topic.
    Let us look into various factors of Life's journey in which how Ego plays its role & how it can be kept in balance.

Subbu