1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Please provide easy diet for working mom

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by ProudIndian, Apr 13, 2011.

1. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Hello Friends I am full time working mother of 2 small kids. I live in Newyork and commute everyday. I leave home around 9 and come back after 6 pm. My hubby wants fresh food every day so can't cook and refriderate. I try to work out 3 times every week and try to control carbs, fried food but still couldn't get into my pre-pregnancy wegith/shape. I have thyroid problem for 8 years. I feel hungry every 3-4 hours so can't do fasting. Please help me or suggest me good healthy diet and excercise.

2. archana2008

archana2008 Gold IL'ite

ProudIndian,

Wow 2 small kids, full time job 9-6pm, and fresh food daily.. :bonk
    If your husband helps then let him cut vegetables and clean kitchen then you can cook any dish he loves :crazy daily freshly.
    Try planning well ahead, sunday cutting veggies and keep them in zip lock. daily only 1 subzi cooking will make it little easy.
    All the Best. :thumbsup

3. chinni86

chinni86 Bronze IL'ite

If I were you, I'd have my husband do the cooking. LOL

On a serious note, if you feel hungry between meals, you could carry string cheese/crackers/fruits. Things that are low in calories and fat content.

4. VidhyaRajan

VidhyaRajan New IL'ite

Hi Proudindian,

What subji do you cook daily..share that list please...

My story is similar to your's but i have just 1 Kid :)..

I stand in kitchen everyday open the refregirator and to decide on the dish it takes me half an hour to 1 hour.. i wish i have a menu prepared well ahead like daycare does .

For your question on easy diet - chapthi or wheat dosa everyday night :thumbsup

5. Avanti B

Avanti B New IL'ite

Hi Proudindian,
    My hats off to you for managing to
    Pack in all that you do in a day. Much
    As we hate to cook after a hard day's
    Work, the only way you can get enough
    Nutrients from your food is by eating
    Freshly chopped and cooked food.
    And fasting for long hours is the
    Actuallya great way to put-on weight
    - not lose. I suggest you read 2 books
    By rujuta Duwekar, I've found them
    very helpful- gives u a healthy way to
    Lose weight and it works.
    All the best.

6. MadhuSharmila

MadhuSharmila IL Hall of Fame

Hi buddy,

Everyone loves to return to their pre-pregnancy weight and shape :)

I have a one and half year old kid. I too gained extra pounds during pregnancy. Now, I've managed to shed almost 75% of it. Some tips I follow:
    I do take a spoon of honey with a cup of warm water in the morning (can also add a drop of lemon juice to it).
    On travelling from my home to office I walk around 2 Km daily.
    I do drink a lot of water and exercise occasionally. The only thing I miss out is dieting.

I know how difficult it will be for a working mom to go on a regular walking routine or exercise.
    As you feel hungry inbetween you can have five to six small meals per day which will also help
    to reduce weight.

Best Regards,
    Sharmila

7. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

Avanti,
    would be great if you can provide soft copy of the book you mentioned by rujuta Duwekar.. thanks..

8. smileedhina

smileedhina New IL'ite

hi proud indian

Ten golden rules for working moms weight loss

its not easy to shed weight, working hard on that will do.....for working moms its quite difficult because time management is a great issue for them.... just i will help you by making few simple things to work on daily basis it will surely help to shed weight.....it wont happen over the night but stick on to that

1) dont jump into your diet directly gradually avoid certain foods that put weight for example... fatty foods, candies and chocolates,fast foods,soft drinks etc

2) be realistic about weight loss.always keep in your mind that you are working on a progress.

3)simple exercises like just when you get up in the morning from bed just raise your body without any support and touch your toe just start with five or ten this will go gradually you increase it day by day

4) avoid taking bath in showers stand straight and have a very lower bucket in front of you just bend down without bending your knees fetch water and have a bath

5) make your fun with child into exercises like just hold your child in both hands and stand straight and lift her up and down this will strengthen your hands and arms..then make your child sit in her trolly and push her front and back with your legs.....

6)take lot of waters,fruits and veggies,take oats,chappathi as your breakfast
    take lot of veggies with small amount of rice, night again have a very light dinner
    have lot of carrots and grapes when you like to grab a snacks
    try to avoid foods from canteens kioshk in your working place instead carry a apple or carrot along with you

7)don't skip your meals try to eat very slowly

8)plan your diet previously what you want to have for the day

9) make sure your health is good even when you follow the diets, if you feel very tierd of working with your diet it wont be fruitfull ,so have lot of mineral and protein riched foods

10) daily have a walk, even in office try to climb stairs.

mind is an important thing to do any thing possible with us so first tame your mind to work on this...every thing will be normal by days even your weight

1 person likes this.
  9. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

Pls plan your menu for the week in advance. Saves lots of time and stress(of thinking every day what to make for 3 times). When you know in advance what you are making you can cut (or get DH to ) for next day.

10. cutejo

cutejo New IL'ite

Hi..i am also a working women with 2.5 yr old kid. i will plan the menu on the previous day itself.. so i can cut the vegetables and basic things wil be ready in table for 2mrw's cooking.

me too following diet menu. but trying to reduce the quantity of the rice food.

morng 3 idli's, night 3 dosa's (less oil), afternoon one small cup rice,once cup veg,

i am not reduced yet.. but trying .. when we play with our kids our weight will automatically reduced.

pls share ILs some more easy diet for working women..