Please Pour In Your Suggestions.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by MissH, Mar 4, 2020.

1. MissH

MissH Bronze IL'ite

I live in the US. My younger brother who lives in India is getting married in the first week of April. I was very much looking forward to attending this along with my 4 year old and almost 1 year old. However, with the current coronavirus situation, I am confused. Should I take precautions and go ahead with the plan? Is it too risky? Should I just stay back although I will be very much disappointed and sad? What would you do if you were in my shoes? Please please share your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

2. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

You will be sad if you dint go. but be sure to weigh in your options on going. Kids are more prone to catch these viruses, but they are very resilient too. It's the adults who suffer when it comes to these kind of illnesses. It is indeed a tricky time to travel. If you decide to go, look for airlines that doesnt stop in europe or east before getting to India. Also, depending on how the situation here and everywhere there might be travel restrictions in future. If you have to stay back additional days, keep a plan in place. After reading what I have written above, I am leaning towards advising you not going. But it will be very hard when you see family photos at the wedding without you.

MissH likes this.
  3. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

I was in India this month and came back. For the first time, I traveled by Air India. I took extra precautions. Washed my hands often with soap/ used hand sanitizer/ alcohol wipes etc..and avoided touching my face with unwashed hands. I made sure to wash hands if I touch anything else. I have noticed that many travellers were using face mask. Also, avoid contact with people with possible symptoms and avoid travel to areas where coronavirus infection has been reported. Anyway, its your decision. It will be sad if you cannot attend the wedding.

MissH, Jagjag, sindmani and 1 other person like this.
  4. senorita2019

senorita2019 Gold IL'ite

Take mask, hand sanitizer, gloves, be precautious.
    So many travel and do day to day routine.
    Not everyone die, only the very old and weak die

MissH and shravs3 like this.
  5. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

I totally understand it's not easy to miss your brother's wedding. As others said take more extra precautions and also you have 1 year old which is not easy to wash your kids hands often as they like to touch everywhere. Use alcohol sanitizer which will be more effective than normal sanitizer. Buy masks...try to choose airline which doesn't have layover in Asian countries.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    MissH likes this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Reassess the situation closer to your travel time. Keep in mind that if you travel to an area with an outbreak there may be quarantine restrictions when you return. So far the virus is not causing significant issues in the pediatric population, but it is an evolving situation.

MissH, KashmirFlower and Rihana like this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If I were in your shoes:

I would give more weight to any disappointment my brother and parent(s) will feel if I don't go. This is what I would do - tell family in India that I will not be able to come due to the risk and potential quarantine restrictions on return. I would not keep them in suspense or hopeful of my attending the wedding. If I end up going, it will be great, but no drawn out uncertainty.

After that, I'd have a serious talk with Mr. and tell him now is the time for all countrymen to stand tall, believe in themselves and do their bit for the nation. I would make arrangements to make a short trip to India without the kids. Find the best nanny who can come 6 am to 6pm, line up the help of friends and neighbors. I just re-read your post, younger one is under 1 yr old. If he/she is being breastfed, then, cannot make a solo trip, I guess.

In short, I'd keep my options open to make a short 4-5 day solo trip. I'd keep the already booked ticket, cancel the kids' tickets, or cancel all three and be prepared to buy one for me nearer to March end if the virus thing lessens. I would not take children that young in such a situation. Not just for the risk, I am not cut out for handling so much tension and stress related to young kids without DH's help.

We had to cancel a long planned much-awaited spring break travel abroad, and that felt bad for two full weeks though we could possibly do it later if all of us get off from school/college/ work in the same week. It's a tough decision when it comes to a family wedding. Hope things work out.

shravs3, MissH, sindmani and 4 others like this.
  8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I did best of 3 and got : Postpone the wedding.

MissH likes this.
  9. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Go to the wedding only if you are prepared for the possibility of having to stay back longer in case of travel restrictions or ok being quarantined on the way back at any point. A elevation in body temperature at airports will be enough to trigger panic and lead to quarantine and further testing.
    My company has asked us to refrain from international and domestic travel. Honestly, I would not sit on plane with my kids unless it’s a family emergency.

MissH likes this.
  10. MissH

MissH Bronze IL'ite

All, Truly appreciate all your inputs. Thank you really very much in taking time and responding! I am still thinking and will decide by the end of this week. Will definitely keep you all posted. Thanks again!