1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Please help.... Initiative needed.Donno what to do.

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by chetavani50, Nov 26, 2013.

1. chetavani50

chetavani50 Gold IL'ite

Dear all,
    Our married life is over a decade . No very big issues but my DH is tooooo particular about the daily routine things. He orders everything at home. He tells each & everything what we need to do and if we don't do he gets irritated. He hates losing arguments and he enjoys winning them. He makes me dependent on him and at last he says - You don't know anything.
    YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING. These four words have discouraged my inner confidence a lot. These words were being used by him from the start of our marriage. At first I took it in a lighter vein but as time went by, I began to lose confidence. He looks after all the financial needs of our home including savings, deposits, properties, taxes, bills etc. In that way he is very responsible. I need to agree. But that has made him take control over me. I am working and am in a good job. As he is looking after the finances I have given my ATM card to him. He earmarks the amounts for monthly needs, sets aside certain amount for savings etc. accurately. Doing all these, he thinks he is doing the best to us. He chooses what is good and what is bad for us. He says - YOU PEOPLE DON'T KNOW ANYTHING. Just like Prakash Raj in Santosh Subramanian(Bommarillu in Telugu) . He thinks he is doing the best for us but we are missing small enjoyments out of his over control. He chooses the movie what we have to go, the place to go during vacations, when to go to our In-laws or parents house , ....... it is a big list.
    He has made me dependent on him totally. Sorry for the long post. Please friends tell me what initiative I need to take to tackle my situation - It takes time but I need some ideas from ILs.

2. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

I don't think there is much you can do after a decade of training/feeding the abuser. Yes. He is one.

Does he understand that if either of you disappear suddenly, the other should be capable of living by herself/himself and take care of children? If such a time comes, you might at least be less burdened that you have access to all the accounts and aware of investments and know how to pay bills and taxes.

You don't want to start running from office to office figuring out the basics during times of misery. Is it what he wants his wife to go through? You please ask him this. For your own sake, please learn everything you need to live smooth life.

5 people like this.
  3. Metamorphic

Metamorphic Platinum IL'ite

How about putting your foot down like Siddarth did in the movie?? :)

But seriously, you have to open up your heart to make him understand how his overbearing behaviour is affecting you. May be he will not immediately collapse as Prakash Raj did in the movie ... But you can get this into his thick head gradually by frequent polite assertions.

4. chetavani50

chetavani50 Gold IL'ite

Thanks simplemom & metamorphic for ur replies. Now, is there a way I can come out ?get through this situation ? What should I do to prove myself that I am also as efficient as him? I also need to keep his ego in mind so that it does not hurt.

5. beingloved

beingloved Gold IL'ite

Who make you dependent on him? Its your fault, no one else..!!

Next time he says "You don't know anything".. reply that "I accept that i don't know, but i would like to try and make faults and would learn in the way. So let me handle my matters myself"

5 people like this.
  6. chetavani50

chetavani50 Gold IL'ite

" If I leave it to you, you will damage everything . So u better stay away" - This is his answer. What to do ?

7. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

If someone were to relive me of drudgery by keeping track of tiresome quotidian chores, I would gratefully surrender and retreat to library and theatre, museum, meadow and beach. If they were to constantly belittle me on the other hand, I would want to reassert control, just to shut 'em up, although I have no real interest in tracking the kWh on my electricity bill for the month. I understand where you are coming from.

I am not sure you can assert yourself without bruising your husband's ego a little bit. I say don't worry about about it. You can kiss the boo-boo and make it go away later.

Although I wouldn't discourage it entirely, it may be a bit daring to start with ''hey, guess what, I am going to use a bit of my cash to play the market - I'm thinkin' pork-belly futures!", so I suggest you start small. Pick your own movies, shows, restaurants. Say no to his unilateral choices once in a while. Learn not to panic if you choose poorly. Blow it off if he says "I told you we should have gone to that other movie ...!" Look into things that are uncharacteristic that are 'not you'. Shoot for simple experiments - the excuse is "it may turn out to be terrible, but I am curious, I want to go".

Next, carve out something that's yours, that he has no expertise in. Don't pick anything 'girly' though - French lessons yes, knitting class no. Create a space for yourself, one that he has no insight into. Choose something that's important enough for you to devote some energy into. I like language because it is multi-dimensional. You have the language itself, then the literature, music, art, culture, history - an entire world that can be yours, that will allow you to expand your horizon into a sphere that excludes him -"Sweetie, I am off to a movie, it's French, you won't understand & I know you hate subtitles" or "Henri Levy is giving a talk at the Alliance Francaise - man, what a pretty-boy he is - see ya!" or "Gerard Depardieu is a great actor, but he is just so over-exposed - I am tired of seeing him on-screen". Leave him to scratch his head about Gerard what'sisname.

I hope you see what I am getting at. Let your husband deal with the minutiae of life. It is a privilege to be relieved of them. Address his attitude toward you. The easiest, most effective, least bruising way to do this is to create a space where he has to knock before he is allowed to enter.

9 people like this.
  8. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Just to clarify:
    I don't think you should be entirely uninvolved in other matters such as finances, property, investments etc. You should educate yourself, even as he is in charge of the execution. Simply knowing what's what - even if not doing anything - will make you more of a participant. Moreover it is important for entirely obvious practical reasons.

Now would be a good time to initiate this. The New Year is almost here, it's time for re-evaluation, renewal and resolutions. Simply tell your husband that you don't want to remain 'ignorant', that you have made a New Year's resolution to inform yourself. Start by cataloging everything, accounts, institutions, outlay, contact people. Take stock of the state of the union. You will feel better just by knowing where everything is.

3 people like this.
  9. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Well said,Soka!Thanks,this helps me as well!

1 person likes this.
  10. Durgatmk

Durgatmk New IL'ite

Just try convincing him in a nice way saying that u are very loaded and I would like to take some of ur responsibilities to help u in someway(convey this wen he is in a good mood).........and just take initiative of doing small things for sometime and slowly he will understand u are also capable of managing things in a better way than he does....

1 person likes this.