1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Please give suggestions.I do noy want my daughter yo waste an year for kindergarten!

Discussion in 'Indians in Michigan' started by EagerForInfo, Jul 16, 2015.

1. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

Hello,

my daughter was born on October 6, 2011. I just found out she wont be eligible for kindergarten in 2016 cause she will turn 5 after September 1st. Till now I thought we could apply for a waiver to get her in but I called the schools and they sag that there are no waivers of any kind from next year. I am devastated. So if we wait till 2016 she will be 6 she she "starts" kindergarten. That is ridiculous when kids 6 years old r in first grade in India. Please help. I don't want my daughter yo be behind kids in India. What are my options now

2. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

Re: Please give suggestions.I do noy want my daughter yo waste an year for kindergart

Testing if reply is working

3. stappe

stappe Senior IL'ite

Re: Please give suggestions.I do noy want my daughter yo waste an year for kindergart

You can try private institutions, and later try for skipping grade if you want to move her to public school.

4. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

What is the hurry? Itis better to have the xchild going later than too early. More time to play and develop which will make learning easier.

5. VKumaraswamy

VKumaraswamy Senior IL'ite

My children go to a private school in the UK and we had exactly the same problem (kids born in sept and oct). Their headmistress said to us that children born early in the school year (sept, oct etc) have a natural advantage as they are better able to handle school work compared to younger ones and therefore more confident- my children are a few months older than their classmates but academically ahead of most in their class

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@EaegrForInfo,

Most schools have 'kindergarten ready' testing - unless the school meant this was phased out. I would suggest you go through your school district web site and find the information. I think most of this will be done by the district central office and it may be good for you to speak to someone there vs talking to the school directly. You must also remember that this testing is done mostly from social skill perspective and not academic perspective.

Another option is I know of is - many parents send their kids to a private school or a Montessori and bring them back to public school for grade 2 on wards. At that grade, the age requirement does not matter as much and most parents do this because of the same age factor.

I am not sure of how you feel about private schooling and assuming that is something you are not considering, let me pitch in my two cents. Even if she goes to a public school and looks like she is a year behind, she is not really and in the larger scheme of things this will not matter much. You have to trust me on this one. I know and understand how you feel right now but wanted to put it out there for you. Also if is she is older, she may be ahead of other kids in the school and a chance for acceleration by a grade can also come up.

It certainly is not too bad and you can always supplement learning in fact you must with other programs for sometime. I am sure you will find something that will work in your favour. Try to look at it objectively. Best wishes.

7. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Both public and private schools are very strict about their cut-off dates for kindergartners. It is fine to start in 2016, till then you can send her to Montessori. When she goes back to public school, it will put her in advanced learning program. It will boost her confidence level.

There will be many other kids in school like her with similar cut-off dates.

8. Swasha

Swasha Gold IL'ite

I think your daughter is eligible to join Kindergarten in 2017. Because by she will be 4 yrs 11 months by September 6th 2016, so will not be eligible for 2016. It is good for your child to wait 1 more year otherwise she would end up youngest in the class.

9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Don't let her catch on to your feelings about her eligibility for KG.

Some parents do feel like a year has been 'wasted' if child misses cut-off date by a few days or weeks. Then, there are parents who hold back child a year, called red-shirting (google if not familiar with the term). Both parents have their reasons, and those are to be respected.

As the child goes to higher grades, there is more scope for child to be at advanced level in one or more subjects. These are called by various names - Honors, Advanced, Accelerated.. across U.S. Chances of child making it to these are higher if she is not the youngest.

Further, from 8th grade or so, child can study some stuff outside, such as in community college or other education providers, and be ahead of peers. In high school, many more options open up to the child, and being older helps. Some summer opportunities like internships or camp assistants position require the kids to be 16 years old.

Sports and athletics get competitive in higher grades, and being older within a given age-group doesn't hurt.

Other than the parent's disappointment at the 'lost' year, it is hard to find any disadvantage of being oldest in class. Teachers are trained to challenge the older kids in class, and there are tons of resources outside of school to occupy the interested and capable child.

Thinking even more ahead, the child is better off being a year older when starting to live independently in a college dorm.

Coming to your point about comparing with peers in India - that is not apples to apples. Education in India is different. There is so much your child will learn before peers in India do, and vice versa - some things kids in India learn earlier in school. The actual 'grade' KG,1st,2nd.. is just a tag.

10. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

@Rihana, I think it matters a lot if the OP is planning on going back to India, after a couple of years, or even 5-6 years. This "oldest child in class" advantage is useful if he / she continues education in US.
    For kids going back to the Indian education system, the "jump" from US education to Indian may seem even more wider, if she is going to "lose" a year here.

@EagerforInfo, there really is no solution to this right now. If you would like to continue in the public school system, you have to abide by their cut-off dates. I tried (unsuccessfully) to get the waiver with my DD when we moved to the US early this year(she is December-born) and she had to repeat the same grade that she had just finished in India.

Needless to say, she was thoroughly bored and unchallenged in the daily classroom activities, spent her time in class watching her peers struggle with concepts that she understood two years ago, and actually told me she felt she was going back to playschool in India. :(

1 person likes this.