Please advise..what to feed my Labrador Pup!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by sanri, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi digitized,
    Have been following this thread with your queries and FB's from pals who own dogs and are experienced in dietary matters .As you have earlier gone thru my reply to Sanri on the diet for Lab pups that should have been a good plan to follow.I've mentioned about lactose intolerance there too.But if your dog loves yougurt or curd no harm in giving it during summer twice or thrice a week as long as there are no indications of intolerance .I'm speaking from experience and not going by any rules.
    As you are basically Veg you can add veggies like carrots and beans ,They are the best tolerated.Potatoes and cabbage etc cause flatulence.You can give soya chunks soaked and softened.One meal can consist of Pedigree in non veg like Chicken or lamb.eggs can be given 3/4 times a week .Cut down on Yellow of the egg as he grows White is better to digest and steers clear of allergies that may develop in later years.If you can manage to get chicken that will be the best.After all dogs are carnivorous animals and sad to deprive them of their natural cravings.You can always cook it and freeze it and use small potions each day .I have mentioned about this too in Sanris post. You have to start with minced chicken or kheema first .Liver may be given twice a week as organ meats are heavy to digest.
    Bananas and apples may be given too .Strictly no Grapes,Raisins , Dates or Chocolates.
    Chappaties can be given with boiled veggies.As for rice , no need to worry about Brown rice .Please ensure that the Rice is the Par boiled variety and not the plain raw rice.
    The reply to Sanri's post I have outlined all these points.

Regarding Fleas/ Ticks.Please get a good medicated shampoo from the Vet to get rid of this problem Invest in a TICK COLLAR.They are good for 4 months.Vet can advise on this.This will gaurd against Fleas too.
    Why don't you post pics of your pet here?
    all the best ...

2. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

It is nice to see ur concern for your little pub. Sure when it is small you can give 4 smaller meals.

If brown rice is hard to find, white rice or oats is also good. If brocolli is not easily availble, you can sub other vegs - green leaves, cabbage, pumpkin, beans, etc. Avoid onion / garlic etc.

We dont eat beef or trkey etc. I just change his meat because I read dogs need a lot of protein in their diet. Sometimes I add some daal or other dried beans or lentils.

Just look up list of food items to avoid and you can give others in moderation.

to name some: avoid- avocado, onion, garlic, caffine, milk, grapes, raisins, chocolates, any cooked bones (big chocking hazard- vets completely against this) .

Hope it helps.

3. digitized

digitized New IL'ite

Hello Paulina!

Thanks for noticing my post. I was searching for lab puppy feed and found your post in Google results and that's how I landed here but felt a bit awkward in ladies forum. :)

Coming back to my pup… He loves boiled rice mixed in 3-4 spoons of curd. Vet suggested this when he had upset tummy and this helped him a lot. I gave him uncooked carrot pieces few days ago and he loved chewing them. I give him half egg now (white part only) thrice a week. Basically he loves everything he can eat. :)

I'll try giving him softened soya nuggets, banana and apple. I'll try giving him fresh cooked chicken. I was giving him "Stage 0" Pedigree dog food once a day as he was less than 2 months old. I'll now switch to Stage 1 dog food most probably by Royal Canin or Eukanuba as people tell me they are better than Pedigree. What do you think?

I am not giving him raisins, grapes, dates, chocolates, onion, garlic and honey. I read what not to give to dogs.

His fleas are gone with Johnsons baby oil. I applied it all over his coat giving special attention to head, ear folds and tail. I also used Apple Cider Vinegar (in 50:50 ratio with water) and sprayed over his coat while taking care of his eyes, inside of ears and nose.

I'll get the pics from the cam and post them. Thanks a ton!

4. digitized

digitized New IL'ite

Oats for human beings are okay or do I need to find oats for dogs? I'll start giving him vegetables from now on.

I've already checked what not to give to dogs and always make sure not to give them to him any form.

Thanks a lot!

5. digitized

digitized New IL'ite

I forgot to mention I am giving him calcium and vitamin supplements as suggested by vet.

6. priyankakathane

priyankakathane New IL'ite

Hi paulina. . am new to this thread. .i read the information given by you about feeding the lab puppies. .am bit confused. . please help me out regarding my query. .i bought my male lab when he was 35 days old. . We call him happy. .Been to the vet and till now two vaccinations are over, am giving him everyday furglow for hair and skin texture, calcium syrup, veerol ,megaflex for strong bones, digyton grape water and veerol and dewormer every 10days once. . And vet advised us to feed him royal canine or pedigree., i chose to go for the best one royal canine, since then am feeding him royal canine labrador junior starter. . He is 60 days old now weighing 6kg . .can i start feeding him home food now or continue with royalcanine . .please advice

7. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi priyanka,

Welcome to the Pets Forum.Noted that as a new member you have made your first post at the Pets Forum being an animal lover and a pet doggie owner.Please do tell us more about your cute pup and post pictures too .
    Hope you have read all my replies to other buddies regarding the food time table for Lab pups .
    Let me begin by stating that I'm personally not a big fan of giving Pedigree or Royal Canine however fancy their price tags maybe.At the puppy stage you can have one meal of readymade dog dry food pellets as they come in that form only if you find lack of time prevents you from giving fresh food.My reason being that they all contain preservatives and besides where is the guarantee that the best meats are used? Why not just buy the fresh ckicken or mince -keema for pupsand boil/ presure cook and mix it with well cooked rice adding some soup of the cooked meat .A few boiled veggies like carrots or beans can be added too .Now you have pure unadulterated food full of nutrition.You can cook the chicken for upto 6 /8feeds and keep in freezer to keep fresh Heat up in microwave to feed.
    Since you have a good Vet he can advise about vaccines and deworming .After 3 months deworming frequency can be reduced to once a month our Vet told us .After reaching adulthood deworming is needed every three months.
    Your doggie can have bananas and apples too in small measure.One egg a day will suffice,Start with half a boiled egg to see if there is any allergy, some dogs do not take to eggs.Please totally avoid CHOCOLATES,GRAPES ,RAISINS, NUTS and Dates.Milk is good if tolerated well .Some pups are lactose intolerant .You can give curd rice in summer ,provided curd is fresh and not sour.Rice with little Dhall and few drops of ghee is also good.Chappathis and whole wheat bread with a dash of butter to taste will be well liked by pups once you break it up in small bits .Marie biscuits are good besides their own dog biscuits ...GLENAND brand is good among biscuit brands.
    OK hope to hear from you with pics.You can join the thread "Join the Club ...membership free " to post pics and write up about your pets anecdotes.