1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Liked anything that you read here? You may nominate it as the Finest Posts!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Playdoh - doh!

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by tikka, Apr 6, 2010.

1. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

DS is fond of them, by the tonnes actually. But three year olds are not great at closing the lids completely and it hardens once in a while. :) I usually work in a couple of drops of vegetable oil and spray some water before I store them away. It works but needs a lot of elbow grease to work in the oil. Are there any other ways of soften playdoh?
    I know you can always buy some more, but that does not agree with our family philosophy. I cant find cream of tartar anywhere, so I am not able to make them either to make this:
    Any other substitution will do the same job?
    </abbr>

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010

Similar Threads
    1. malarvizhim
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Hey Tikka, a mom friend of mine sent me this playdough recipe website. You may find some good ones there without too many complicated ingredients. I am not sure how to soften a playdough either, this site may have some tips.

My favorite 'playdoh' is to hand Riya a ball of atta dough whenever I make chapattis. I don't even color them, and Riya doesn't seem to mind playing with a brown ball of dough either.

Raj

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Krithi - do let me know if you find anything because I have the same problem and I've been doing the water drops but it only works to some extent.

V.

4. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Same problem here. I stopped buying after two cans because they all hardened and I don't have the patience and discipline to sit with him and ensure he puts everything back and closes the lid..

Like Raj I too have given chapathi dough to play

5. aarthi7

aarthi7 Senior IL'ite

tikka,
    this is what i did when my boy was using playdoh..
    take the hardened dough,,dip it in water and microwave for few seconds,,may be 8-10 secs,,and it was kind of soft and workable...

aarthi

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Thanks ladies, sesame oil worked well. but yes, lotsa kneading done.
    Raj, DS like chappati dough but I think in the school they started making things with regular playdoh and he wants to continue doing that at home. I think I will try the alum one and see how that works. thanks for the link.

7. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Ladies, We dont have playdoh at home so far, I store some extra chapathi dough for her in fridge, to give her whenever she asks for. She colors them with her paints and does all the nasty things :)) Let me ask to her school when I go this time, on how they maintain it :))))

8. wikirlady

wikirlady New IL'ite

Thanks for the great recipe idea! I've tried that one, it worked ok. I really recommend the chocolate and gingerbread playdough recipes you can find online (Playdough Recipe, Playdough Recipes, Homemade Playdough).

I made them with my girls and they loved them, they smell delicious. Just make sure no one eats them!

Thanks!

Wikir