1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Playdate Issue Please Help

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Sapna56, May 30, 2021.

1. Sapna56

Sapna56 Bronze IL'ite

My 6 yr son goes does playdates and sleepover often with his 8 yr old friend who is also a boy.
    Its been quite a few months that they are having but, off late my kid mentioned to me that is worrisome. His friend actually tries to smell inside my kids pants when he thinks my kid farts. My kid also mentions that he told the friend every time he does that. Also the friend told my kid that he will not tell this to anyone. I just think 8 yr old and 6 yr olds are still very little and not matured enough. I am not sure whether to discuss this with his parents or whether to stop sending my child. Also this family is very close and my kid still likes to play with the friend. I just feel discussing this shouldn't create misunderstandings. I have explain my child what is safe and what is not safe. Suggestions please welcome.

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I don’t think speaking to the other mom will serve any purpose other than straining your friendship. I would find an inoffensive excuse and stop the sleepovers until the children are older. In all likelihood it was totally innocent but if your son brought this up with you I think he was uncomfortable with his friend’s behavior. The power disparity between a 6 and 8 year old is significant. Most little children cannot hold their own against an older friend. Best not to put your child in that position. In general I think 6 is too young for overnight stays away from parents.

sanjuruby3, Sapna56 and Mistt like this.