1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Play Date Friends

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by viki123, Feb 1, 2018.

1. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

Right now i am in a state of confusion weather to work it out or just leave it to my DS.

We moved to a new community in Dec, There are kids 1 year older than my DS. My DS is 3 1/2 now and he has some speech delay. He likes to play with the new older kids but is not able to get along with them due to communication or the other kids meet regularly 3-4 times a week & know each other well. Some times I have seen them cornering my DS or he will just play by his own even if they are there. I generally don't react as i think its the age and they should learn to stand up to them.

All the other moms are stay at home moms and their kids go to school only 1/2 day. My DS goes full time daycare and only time i have is weekends. On Weekday I don't prefer as hell will be tired after coming home around 5:30 and generally goes to bed by 8:00.

I know they meet on weekends sometime, I have asked the moms to let me know so that i can take DS to play with them but they never tell me. I don't know the reason, we met only 2-3 times, and i don't stay more than 1-2 hours when ever we meet. And my days run on a routine basis breaking it will be difficult to manage later. Now my options are.

1. Since its winter invite kids and moms to my place on a weekend like a play date.
    2. I also plan on enrolling my DS to swimming other activity classes on weekend. That will keep him busy.
    3. During summer all kids will be playing out side and allow my son to make his own friends a take it from there instead of rushing now.

Please suggest me what would be best. I hurts when I see other kids talking bit rude to my DS. I am not saying my DS is perfect or to good. If I see him doing something like it, i make sure i tell him there not to do it and make sure he apologize. But i don't see this with other mom and its not my duty to correct their kids.

Fully confused and my head is spinning. Sometimes I wonder am i thinking too much.

2. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

This problem is common or not sure don't have any idea but my kid too face some similar things. From my personal observation I can say that

The kids are too small. They only know to play and they play with those whom they don't have to explain too much. They can't take care of other kids shortcomings. As you said your child can't speak properly then those kids do not know how to deal with this so becoming rude and ignorant. Its not their mistake.

Second thing I have seen that if some more interesting game is told to them they will start playing with your kid too.

Their moms don't have any role in this. Kids play like this only. Become rude as they do not know the correct way to deal with.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  3. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Viki123,
    You are brave that you are trying to have playdates with full time job. I have kind of given up and weekends I do not find time from household work.

Playdate is always a problem in this country. We can not scold others kids and kids never know their boundaries, they are being kids. My kid, same age as your son, goes to daycare full time so evening I do nt get lot of time to take her out to play etc, even though she sleeps very late. On wkends, I have so many household stuff to take care of. So I just hope she plays in daycare for the whole week.

She does not have many playdates outside school. We had few kids year ago, but whomever she had, starts out good but end up mess at home and hard for me. Kids play well for some time but after 1-2 hrs, they start fighting ( part of childhood) but we somehow can not take it.

In my case, my kid is sensitive and low confidence. So anyone can bully her. Older kids bully her so now I try to stay away from them inspite of their mommies my good friends, I do not arrange meeting scared of her kids.
    Kids her age, come to our house and bully her for her toys for not sharing and themselves won't share so I do not know how to deal myself with such playdate problems.In winters, its hard to arrange playdate outside for me with full time job and household duties.

So In your case, you have playdates atleast.
    Mommies - do not talk to you much, you know why. I go through that too. You are not much useful to them. Some times it language, culture or merely they are able to spend more time with each other and common issues, so they do not feel your need
    So its your need now and just for your kid, try to talk to them. kids need company. You are not looking for best friends. If they respond, thats fine, else forget them.

Yes, you can enroll in some activities. I am confused about it, and have been planning same, but also I feel it will be overload on me also. dropping picking. .. my H is not very cooperative here.

4. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@sanjuruby3

Thanks for response and understanding my situation. My husband helps on weekends so i can plan on some weekend.
    Bullying is common at this age, My DS also used to push one of our friends daughter as she is one year younger to him. Me and her mother both chipped in and tell them and not push and play, and engage them in other play.
    Now they play fine, still there fight for toys in between which we go and resolve.

But with other mothers, I don't see that, which bothers me. Yesterday my DS played with other kids toy that was lying on floor and she (other girl) wanted after my DS picked up. I told her he will give it after some time. She told other kids (2 boys) to go get that toy from my DS. My DS thought its a kinds of game and was laughing & running. Which I ignored. Later DS offered trade in with his toy she sad no, she was worried that my DS might take her toy home i assured her he will not and give it back while going home. My DS and other boys played fine after that.

While returning my DS gave back the toy and said thank you. For that the girl said "I once loaned my toy to Boy1. I will not dot to him(my DS), I don't like him." I was shocked when she said that, she is 5 1/2 is that the language a 5 1/2 uses. If it was my DS, I would have made him apologize and tell him not to use those words.

I really don't understand this. Kids do fight as parents we have to tell them what is good and what is not. I am not sure if I am over reacting.

5. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

I think its normal. Kids like only those who give them lot and do not take anything from them. They do not have any more in their mind.

6. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

Dear op and @sanjuruby3

Yes occupying kid in winter is big headache in this country..

I am on h4, so sahm. I arrange play date. No one cares to host, I always host, no on cares to clean up, mommies come chat with each other while I monitor their kids. I also gave snacks which was spilled not cleaned. Inspite of all this I was not part of their other gathering..

Not that they hate me. I am new. . They all r staying from long time and already have groups... Just use me to host and entertain their kids.

And yes I have seen my neighbor son 6yrs who come use all our toys and when mt son rarely go his house and touch something he says bad tharun you don't know. Don't touch,tharun u will break it. Tharun don't do this. And takes away things force fully from hus hands. His mom won't say a thing. And my son is just 2.5. seeing all this am fed up.

Am waiting for summer so he can play in park. For now I play with him tak to library and museums...

viki123 likes this.
  7. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@sumalynux

I agree with you. Cleanup after play date is too much. Rather than the cleanup or snacks or kids fight for toys what bothers me is moms don't take much responsibility they just ignore and younger one always ends up bullied.

@MonikaSG
    Yes, I agree with kids behavior, bur the point of discussion is moms not stepping in to correct their kids for resolving the attitude or make them fiends again.

sumalynux likes this.
  8. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

Every other mom too have lots of things to do at home. And if someone less known to them and they do not have any strong relationship with you then they will prefer to relax rather take extra work from you.

9. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@MonikaSG

I am sorry if my words were not clear, The question is not about helping at home clean up. Its about their kids behavior. I don't mind relaxing but they should keep an eye on their kids to make sure their behavior is good.

10. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

Not all mothers know what they should do to make them correct. Its their mistake but they may not be very much aware about the corrective actions that they should take.