Planning to settle down in Texas

Discussion in 'Indians in Dallas' started by Priya Vj, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Priya Vj

Priya Vj New IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

We are planning to settle down in Texas in the Month of June, my husband has a telework job and most probably I too will be getting telework option, if not I will have to look for work once I move.

I have been looking at quiet a few cities now like Austin, Dallas/Fortworth area, Plano & Allen texas. Very confused about selecting a place out there to settle down. We have booked our tickets in April to visit these areas for 3 days and come to a conclusion. I have 2 boys 5 & 3 yr old and this September my older one should be heading to public school and also I am looking for allergy friendly schools, meaning the schools that follow a very strict no nuts allergy policy and well prepared for emergencies. Moreover my husband also suffers from severe pollen allergies here in maryland during fall and spring. I heard that central texas especially Austin and around is pretty bad for allergies, how far is this true or is it worse for allergy sufferers?

We are planning to buy a house this year so want to make sure we settle down in a nice place with good schools and Indian neighborhood and shops.

So, Please provide all your valuable suggestions, will be of great help to start our research when we come there in April.

Thanks
    Priya Vj

2. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

Hi Priya, we also Moved from East coast to Austin (just like tat) And we liked Austin Very Much. I haven't considered Other cities.

I will start with Drawbacks in Austin - Bad Traffic
    Allergies

Right now we are not suffering from any allergies but I heard it get worse as you stay longer (Not sure if tats true).
    Austin is called Allergy Capital Other than That I love Austin.

3. GodIsOne

GodIsOne Gold IL'ite

I sent you a private message.

4. cissyboo

cissyboo Silver IL'ite

Mountain Cedar is a BIG allergen in Austin area that really effects new residents. One of my friends from Dallas suffered terribly when we had to spend ten months in Killeen (about 2.5 hours north-ish of Austin). Went through 1+ boxes of tissues a day! Traffic is bad-there really is no good way to bypass Austin on the Interstate (I-35). Schools vary from catchment area to area, dependent on the socioeconomic strata that the school pulls from. Out lying suburbs also vary in price of houses and quality of schools. Of course, you can get a lot more house for the money in Texas, than in Maryland.

5. Priya Vj

Priya Vj New IL'ite

Hi,

I read Indusladies a lot but havn't posted much, Since I have not posted much on Indusladies, I am restricted to access private message, so can you send me your replies to priyaks@gmail.com

6. Priya Vj

Priya Vj New IL'ite

oh! that scares me, allergies is something that I am really worried about, any thoughts about Dallas and surroundings like Allen, Plano etc.

7. Priya Vj

Priya Vj New IL'ite

Thanks a lot for your quick replies, Allergy is something very important to me that I have to decide before I move, I don't have any allergies as such but my kids and husband are prone to seasonal allergies. I heard a lot of them saying that Austin is just a wonderful place to live but I think I have to extend my options to to other parts of Texas too.